AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th May, 2002, 06:13 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Read that thermal diode in your MP, XP, T-Bred or Rev7 Duron!

Yesterday's(May7) Front Page at www.overclockers.com featured a link to an article by Hoot. This article tells you how to build a gee-gaw that will read your Athlon XP's, MP's, T-Bred's or Morgan-cored(Rev7) Duron's internal thermal diode. Just as if it was a P3, CII, Tualatin or PIV.

Don't ask me why, as of yet, no @%$&(*^*&!!, Squared manufacturer of mainboards that host AMD CPU's has built-in thermistor monitoring capability. They should be shot! But I never said that.

This gizmo doesn't look all that easy to build. Drat!
Old 9th May, 2002, 12:09 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Im reliably informed that the 8K3A and + do!!! will have to do some digging but its what i've been told!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th May, 2002, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
Im reliably informed that the 8K3A and + do!!! will have to do some digging but its what i've been told!
Ive heard the same rumors, although ET has catagorically stated that they dont.

I might do some digging and see if I can come up with some sort of test.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th May, 2002, 02:23 PM

I just had a quick search around.

I found allot of people claiming that it reads the diode with no supporting evidence.

It looks like a case of people adding 2 to 2 and getting 6 to me.

I got my 8k3a+ now ill post a quick review/summary in the epox section tonight.

Old 9th May, 2002, 03:33 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

i was emailed by EPoX about it. It was something i mentioned in my application to the EPoX UK competition. but they said it has it!

edit: perhaps it is in an upcoming revision of the board?

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 9th May, 2002, 06:13 PM

Quote:
i was emailed by EPoX about it. It was something i mentioned in my application to the EPoX UK competition. but they said it has it!

edit: perhaps it is in an upcoming revision of the board?
Ive not seen anything from epox to that effect, i would expect the diode to be supported by future boards, and possible another later revision of the 8k3a+

My tempertures seem identical to the 8kha+ there certainly ist a 10*c descrepancy as some people have had.

The tamperature did seem to react more quickly to increase load, but id need to do some propper tests to be sure.
Is there a program avalable that will allow me to log temperature measurments in rapid sucsession. So I can approximately measure the responce time of the temperature measurment.

Old 10th May, 2002, 01:30 PM

this thread needs renaming to "the MOM only thread"

Holst, YGPM

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 10th May, 2002, 08:12 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

Quote:
this thread needs renaming to "the MOM only thread"

Holst, YGPM
Not anymore... sorry had to do it....
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Old 10th May, 2002, 09:43 PM

hmmmmmmm its an omen ! your next in line! lol

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 11th May, 2002, 12:31 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

After looking at Hoot's article at OCer's again, I personally would not build it. Putting the pieces together isn't too difficult--it's the soldering it to the Socket A that really scares me. Looks like you can order it from Hoot, at a "nominal" fee. But taking a soldering iron to three of the 'six thousand' tiny joints under the Socket A?

C'mon Abit, Asus, Shuttle, ECS, QDI, DFA and so on! WTF is your excuse, if I may be impolite. You HAVE NO excuse!
Sure, Intel owner's need an accurate(+- 5C) internal CPU temp. Like AMDer's DON'T?? We're supposed to gratefully receive +- 15C temp info with a smile? Kiss my [transcript becomes garbled].