AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th May, 2002, 03:39 AM

Effective air cooling method?

I have an EPoX 8K3A with an XP1800+ unlocked. I am cooling it with a Swiftech MCX462 with Delta 68.5 CFM fan. My case has an intake 80mm fan in front and exhaust 80mm fan in back. I saw this link on the internet and it seems like a very good way to air cool my processor. www.lostcircuits.com/advice/cooling
If I were to turn my Delta fan around backwards and mount it to the heatsink, then attach the tubing and connect the other end to my 50CFM exhaust fan, would this be an effective way to cool the processor? Let me hear your opinions? Thanks.
Old 16th May, 2002, 04:17 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome aboard, danaltick! The crux of the matter is to have the coolest possible air for your HSF. Ducting is a smart way to accomplish this. One can choose to draw air from outside the case(where it's cooler than the air inside the case) directly to your Processor's HSF. Or one can choose the method at the linked Loscircuits.com's article, and evacuate the air directly out of the case, once it has been heated by the CPU.

As a rule, Alpha's HSF's are designed to draw air up through the HSF. Getting this heated air right out of the case a' la Lostcircuit's method seems a safe bet for maximum CPU cooling. Conversely, HSF's made by other manufacturer's usually work best when they blow air down into the HSF. Yes, this heated air isn't optimal for the Memory and North Bridge. Nonetheless, ducting air from outside the case so that it goes directly to the fan on the HS seems the best method.

Or, you can just mount 120mm fans in your left hand case cover and the back or top of your case and rest easy. 100 cfm case throughput makes for fairly fresh air for the CPU and GPU.
Old 16th May, 2002, 05:23 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
Welcome aboard, danaltick! The crux of the matter is to have the coolest possible air for your HSF. Ducting is a smart way to accomplish this. One can choose to draw air from outside the case(where it's cooler than the air inside the case) directly to your Processor's HSF. Or one can choose the method at the linked Loscircuits.com's article, and evacuate the air directly out of the case, once it has been heated by the CPU.

As a rule, Alpha's HSF's are designed to draw air up through the HSF. Getting this heated air right out of the case a' la Lostcircuit's method seems a safe bet for maximum CPU cooling. Conversely, HSF's made by other manufacturer's usually work best when they blow air down into the HSF. Yes, this heated air isn't optimal for the Memory and North Bridge. Nonetheless, ducting air from outside the case so that it goes directly to the fan on the HS seems the best method.

Or, you can just mount 120mm fans in your left hand case cover and the back or top of your case and rest easy. 100 cfm case throughput makes for fairly fresh air for the CPU and GPU.
I currently am using 4 80mm fans in my cooling setup - 2 in front for my HD's, 1 above my HSF, and one on the rear, near the HSF. If I were to do another air cooled case, I would have one 120mm fan (58ish CFM) over and just below the HSF, so that it pulled in air to the HSF and the AGP slot. I would have another 120mm (58ish CFM) on the top, either above a moded powersupply (two air vents, alined on top and bottom) or in the center of the top of the case.

These are just my ideas though, and have not been tested yet - Wait until this summer
Old 16th May, 2002, 09:32 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Doubling up fans is a big no no, the Delta would overspeed the other fan... and delta's work best blowing into the sink, since they have stator blades which help to straighten the airflow out and this in turn makes them a hell of a lot more effective on a heatsink.

The best way would be to have a duct from the HSF to the side panel of the case, and, if you can, fit an extra 80mm top blowhole, and possibly upgrade your front intake to a 120mm fan, this way you will have high airflow through the case, and a nice bit of positive pressure to help decrease dust build up!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th May, 2002, 03:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Yes, that too would work quite well. My dual 120mm fan system would be made for quietsness also, because each fan is only like 28-35db, so that it would be quieter.
Old 16th May, 2002, 08:33 PM

I sent an email to Swiftech technical support in regards to this method of cooling using the MCX462 and here is the answer he gave me:
Quote:
This heat sink is designed for impingement, not suction. It performs
best as shipped.

Best Regards,
Gabe
So I guess that rules this method out, at least with this heatsink.
Old 16th May, 2002, 10:07 PM

What HSF is that? I don't know much about Swiftech's... Can't you still have air being blown over it to cool the fins off? It seems to work well with most computers...
Old 16th May, 2002, 10:26 PM

Read the article www.lostcircuits/advice/cooling for your answer on convection versus conduction. Go to www.swiftnets.com to find out about Swiftech's products. They are one the top heatsink manufacturers. Just do a search at google on MCX462 and you will find many reviews on this heatsink. All of them praise it.

What if I were put in a duct from the HSF to the side panel of the case just like you said "Random Nonsense". But instead of creating a hole in the top of my case (which I really don't want to do because it would add that much more effort to the process, not to mention noise), what if I turned my intake and exhaust fans around to create positive pressure. The rear exhaust fan is up top under the power supply. This is very close to the HSF. I have an EPoX 8K3A. This would then practically blow right on the HSF. The intake fan on the bottom front would become an exhaust fan, but since it is partially blocked by the front case cover, it should create positive pressure. I also have a small SlotHO exhaust fan in PCI slot 1. Give me your ideas on this. Thanks.
Old 16th May, 2002, 10:41 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

leaving the fans as is would be more effective i think, you wont be blowing hot air around in the case as much, as it is now, most of the hot air from the heatsink will be quickly drawn out of the case. maybe just go for a 92mm up front, should fit in same space, and you get a bit more air over an 80mm unless u go with a delta.

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th May, 2002, 12:22 AM

Here is an excerpt taken from the "General Heat Transfer Guide" over at amdmb.com:
Quote:
The effect of fan direction is even more difficult to determine. As air flows over the heat sink, the air warms. The hottest part of the heat sink is where it contacts the die. The temperature of the heat sink drops the farther out the fins/pins you go. When a fan “blows”, it pushes air through the heat sink. The coolest air contacts the coolest part of the heat sink and the air warms as it nears the hottest part of the heat sink. The air tends to keep a relatively high differential against the heat sink because the air gets hotter as it nears the hotter parts of the heat sink. This is the most efficient use of the airflow. When a fan “sucks”, it pulls air through the heat sink. The coolest air contacts the hottest part of the heat sink and the air warms quickly. By the time the air reaches the coolest part of the heat sink, it may be nearly the same temperature as the heat sink and will no longer gain additional heat. This improves heat transfer near the base of the heat sink at the expense of overall convection efficiency.

Which is better? It depends on the design of the heat sink. For most, it’s better to blow. For some that don’t have efficient fins/pins, it may be better to suck. The Alpha 6035 is an example of a good one to suck. Its aluminum pins are not particularly good at getting heat away from the base of the heat sink, though its copper base gets heat to the bottom of the pins very well. It also has a shroud around the top of the pins to ensure that air entering the fan flows over the full pin length. The shroud prevents air from short-circuiting to the fan intake.
Base on this and what the Swiftech Tech said, I think blowing is the way to go here.
Old 17th May, 2002, 04:48 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally posted by danaltick
I sent an email to Swiftech technical support in regards to this method of cooling using the MCX462 and here is the answer he gave me:

So I guess that rules this method out, at least with this heatsink.
Yeah it also BLOWS your warrenty.

I'll probably be cutting a hole in the side of my case soon. I live out in the desert and it gets pretty freaking hot out here.

Sometimes up to 120 degrees
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah