AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th May, 2002, 06:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Too hot!!!!

Man- i keep 10 rigs inside of a small secondary house on my property- whichi i am remodeling for a bed room :-D / office/bath/ anyways........... Today it got 70f out and up there it was COOKING- i mean it had to be 85-90f up there w/ windows and fans on- its not insulated yet- which should help in the future- BUT my 1600 @1823 cpu gets to 50-55c folding w/ a vocano 7 w/ a 80mm panaflow on it- 120mm input 3x 80mm output- it sux! When i go up there- and try to go online it resets - guess its too hot........ any ideas?
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th May, 2002, 07:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Re: Too hot!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by The Spyder
any ideas?
Southern Man had an excelent idea not too long ago, he suggested that folks with really big farms duct the PSU exhaust outside to keep the temperature in there homes down . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th May, 2002, 12:53 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

I am getting ready to install a air conditioner in my main folding room to keep the temps down. Think the room around 65 would be about perfect
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Old 24th May, 2002, 01:13 PM
Member/Contributer

I started working on this and have it working on 2 of my boxes. I have realized a temp drop in the room of between 6 - 9 deg c. All of the systems are benefiting as a result of the cool ambient temps. Dimmreaper seems to be the only one who likes my engineering on this one but I tell you the theory is solid. If you think about it you, in your case, have 10 little "heaters" blowing out hot air into a room. If you catch that heat and duct it out before it has a chance to effect the ambient room temp then you have won a, maybe not so small victory. It has made a world of difference here in my small computer room.

I'm going to rework mine soon to change from the current cardboard construction to plywood "hood" of sorts. If you have ever worked in a science lab or even a restaurant kitchen you will be familiar with the idea. Just a box that the units sit in that has a fan pulling air out and ducting it outside.

Here are my pics from a precious post. One of yours I might add....

DangerDen Maze3!!!!
----------------------------------------------

Old 25th May, 2002, 07:08 PM
The_Silverite

Motherboard monitor, as well as the status in my CMOS, says that my processors are running 76C and 74C (dual setup, 430 watt power supply). From what I can tell, my case has great airflow. Each processor has a fan (6000 RPM on each one, I believe) and there are 2 fans in the back of the case (out-take), one in the side (in) and 2 up front (in). The PSU is putting out a lot of heat though. It has an intake fan inside the case, and an exhaust fan above the two case fans. the two case fans put out relatively cool air, but the PSU is putting out 90F air...

Dunno why my CPUs would be over the 140F mark.
Old 25th May, 2002, 07:36 PM

HOLY ****z- What type of board? B/C some are 10 too hot- check the heatsync/ cpu contact- thats way to hot! My daul pIII 1gig runs 30c full load!
Spyder
AOA Team fah
Old 25th May, 2002, 09:08 PM
The_Silverite

It's the Tyan dual-athlon board. DDR support, non-scsi.

How should the heatsink be on teh CPU? I mean, I've got the heatsink on, and the fan on the heatsink (although, for some reason, the fan is blowing down on the processor. that's wrong, right?)
Old 26th May, 2002, 07:15 PM

fan SHOULD be blowing down- but those temps are rediculus- are you using the boxed heatsyncs!!!! If so get a different one!!!!
Spyder
AOA Team fah
Old 27th May, 2002, 05:02 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

AFAIK, the only HSF's that are designed for the fan to draw air up, through the heatsink are Alpha's. They have a reason for this, Alpha designs their gear very carefully. The latest "kicker" in mondo HSF's is the AX-7(?) from Thermalright. Better Socket A cooling for noticeably less money than Alpha's PAL-8045!

Installing HSF's on Athlon/XP's is serious business. No shilly-shally is permitted. I strive for perfection. Why? 'Cause a lackadaisical HSF installation can murder the processor, long before you have a clue that something's amiss.
Old 27th May, 2002, 07:19 AM
BongWater

The ducting out of the hot air is a most solid concept.

What about drawing in cooler air from down low...say from a basement, running it through a room fan to lower the overall room temps as well?...and thus the imput temp to the fans.

BongWater
Old 27th May, 2002, 04:56 PM
The_Silverite

Update

OK, it seems that MBM5.1 is screwed up. I rebooted, went into the temperatures and RPMs screen in my CMOS, and for a brief second, it read 72C. after that, they ranged from anywhere to 38C to 43C. Much better. Then, after leaving the CMOS and getting into Windows, MBM wasn't displaying anything. I go look, and there is an entirely different set of sensors to read from, and they give accurate readings!. I rebooted again, and MBM was giving innacurate readings again, this time not even showing the status of CPU1 or the fan RPMs. Any suggestions?

(Oh, I checked the airflow, and it's pretty solid)

And another thing... be careful when reaching inside a a case to "feel" the temperature of your CPU, when the system is on. A 6300 RPM fan *will* hurt you. Thing cut me a bit beneath the fingernail on my middle-finger. that s*** HURT!! Bled like crazy, and it's been sore all weekend.

My room is a reasonable 71F.
Old 31st May, 2002, 12:21 AM

Talking fan SHOULD be blowing down

Quote:
And another thing... be careful when reaching inside a a case to "feel" the temperature of your CPU, when the system is on. A 6300 RPM fan *will* hurt you. Thing cut me a bit beneath the fingernail on my middle-finger. that s*** HURT!! Bled like crazy, and it's been sore all weekend.

Hey bud did the same thing......and your right it hurts............ but as to the question on the cpu fan blowing down on the cpu........ my temps where a bit high....so I started to mess around .... I found out that if I swapped my fan to suck air through the h/s it cooled it better by 5 c....

So what works for one will not work for others....

just my 10 cents worth...

flack :-D
Old 31st May, 2002, 12:58 AM
BongWater

Two quick comments...yes be sure the fan blows onto the heatsink (I only know the Alpha PAL8045 that wants it to 'suck' hot air away from heatsink) and second, put a grill on that fan! Grills are there to keep your fingers from getting hurt...or worse...from such high speed fans.