AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th May, 2002, 07:53 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Cool Water cooling, the final frontier?

Water cooling, the final frontier?

My goal since getting my AMD is to hit 2GHz. Can you hit 2GHz with a simple air cooling setup? I say no, not with an AMD processor. So we will need more cooling power. What type of cooling power? Let’s start simple – Water. So the idea of water-cooling has been breached. I am aiming to hit 2GHz with an AMD XP1600.

Here’s what I think I will need:
Quote:
Pump – Petsmart - $35.99 - Mag Drive Model 2
Waterblock – DangerDen - $42 - Danger Den Maze3
Fan – MPJA Online - $7.95 - 120mm 83CFM Fan
Radiator – DangerDen - $50.00 - Black Ice Pro EVO
Hose – Pet Store - $5.00 – 15 feet ½” vinyl hose
Reservoir – $10.00 - 16oz Rubbermaid & (Backup) 1 gallon bucket
This is just what I am planning on setting up. Does it look good? What changes would you all recommend?
Old 26th May, 2002, 10:43 AM

Very sweet
But tried to find somewhere you can buy hose connectors.
In my water cooling rigs I was always wanting hose connectors for joing different thicknesses of pipe. If you can try to make sure your pump, block radiator and evrything have the same size connectors. This helps a lot.
Old 26th May, 2002, 06:59 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Like a goot hardware store? They would carry it, right?
Old 27th May, 2002, 01:07 AM

I found some more stuff

GeForce3 water cooler - Can this be used on a GeForce4?
Panaflo 120mm
Old 27th May, 2002, 04:17 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

From what I've read, the Maze 3 is really dependant on high flow rates, so you might want to consider the next size larger pump . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th May, 2002, 04:53 AM

What waterblock would you reccomend?
Old 27th May, 2002, 07:14 AM
BongWater

What about the Miro as tested here. I have read a great many good things about it.

BongWater
Old 27th May, 2002, 09:03 AM

Over the past couple of years, I've tried several different blocks, a couple from Danger Den, one from BE Cooling and a couple of homemade. Recently, I picked up a swiftech block (MCW 462 U I think) and this has become my favorite block of all time. You can take a look at it here

My system is set up with varying tube sizes to test a theory. My pump outlet is 3/8 and a couple of inches from the block inlet I reduce it to 1/4" ID tubing then increase the tubing size after the block utlimately going to a heater core. The block is pretty much hollow so the water moves fast through the block but meanders through the heater core and rest of the system. So far, I like what I see but have not sat down to put any empirecal data together yet. This is kind of based on Bournelli's principle I think, been a long time since physics class.
Old 27th May, 2002, 09:15 AM

That block looks great - both in how it looks, and from what review's say!

Where do you order it, and for how much?
Old 27th May, 2002, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SiGmA_X
That block looks great - both in how it looks, and from what review's say!

Where do you order it, and for how much?
If you are talking about the Swiftech, this is their main page and this their distributors page. I got mine at Sidewinder but Newegg has them sometimes also.
Old 27th May, 2002, 12:00 PM

Their way more exspencive then the MAZE3... I think I might go MAZE3, because everyone loves them, and lots of people have them. And I can buy my radiator @ DangerDen also...
Old 28th May, 2002, 05:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

There local too- lose carmen- shed never go for you and dude- 371 posts - SPAM Alert!!!!
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th May, 2002, 06:05 AM
BongWater

Forget the SPAM Alert...its a fake boob alert!
Old 28th May, 2002, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SiGmA_X
Their way more exspencive then the MAZE3... I think I might go MAZE3, because everyone loves them, and lots of people have them. And I can buy my radiator @ DangerDen also...
Only about $12 difference unless you are looking at the peltier stuff, then I don't know. Excellent quality though where I would consider DD just OK quality.
Old 28th May, 2002, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BongWater
Forget the SPAM Alert...its a fake boob alert!
Fake or real, when I can only see but not touch does not make a difference. I just want to see all I can see.
Old 28th May, 2002, 07:02 AM
BongWater

Members...get that man laid, quickly!
Old 28th May, 2002, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Members...get that man laid, quickly!
Excellent idea! Only problem is that I am married. Oh, that's what happened .
Old 28th May, 2002, 07:43 AM
BongWater

Members...get that man a mistress!
Old 29th May, 2002, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Members...get that man a mistress!
LOL! Go look for Carmen Electra on KaZaA or Morhpus Hehe, I have a huge gallery... Message me for it

« Compunurse | Void »