AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

View Poll Results: What size tubing sould I use?
All 3/4" 1 11.11%
All 1/2" 6 66.67%
All 3/8" 1 11.11%
A mix (please specify) 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th May, 2002, 05:06 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by b0bb1nz

I'd be willing to sort all this out for you and test it if you want me to? It cant cost much, i'll take a trip down to the plumbing place near me tomorrow to check out prices and maybe pick up the kit, I havent got a blowtorch and any 1mm solder here though unfortunately
I think it's best if I get all of the major parts in hand before I get others to start tinkering for me. Hopefully my lottery ticket will pay off tomorrow and then all of this won't matter, I'll just go out and buy ten vapochills! But I'll keep the offer in mind. Since one of the two Pump connectors is 3/4" would it be detrimental to have that length at 3/4" all the way while the other lengths are 1/2"? (Going from a 3/4" connector on the radiator output and staying 3/4" all the way to the pump input?)
Old 29th May, 2002, 05:12 AM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard

I think it's best if I get all of the major parts in hand before I get others to start tinkering for me. Hopefully my lottery ticket will pay off tomorrow and then all of this won't matter, I'll just go out and buy ten vapochills! But I'll keep the offer in mind. Since one of the two Pump connectors is 3/4" would it be detrimental to have that length at 3/4" all the way while the other lengths are 1/2"? (Going from a 3/4" connector on the radiator output and staying 3/4" all the way to the pump input?)
That section would be at a lower pressure than the other parts, which isnt really a good thing, try and keep your piping to a standard size, but pushing a bit higher pressure stuff though the waterblock is a good thing, even if your pump will have to work that bit harder

By the way, are you planning on having your radiator pre-pump? The way I planned on setting mine up was

Res>Pump>Rad>Waterblock>Rad>GPU Waterblock>Res

crazy I know, 2 radiator system would be cool anyway

I really dont mind messing about with the stuff, and now you've got me in the mood I think I will

Hmm I better head off to bed soon it's 5:12am.

Ah screw it, i'll not bother sleeping tonight, I got plenty of coffee

and woohoo it worked (see picture)
Attached Images

Old 29th May, 2002, 05:20 AM
eobard

My plan was to go Pump>Waterblock>Rad>T-joint to refill and bleed (no rez)>Pump again. But since I don't have the pump yet and the radiator isn't more then a concept now I'm still open to input on the whole thing.
Old 29th May, 2002, 05:25 AM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

Interesting, I would have thought that putting the radiator as near to the block (before it) would have been the most efficient, if you manage to cool water to < ambient it gives it less time and surface area to warm up

btw a good T connector is always useful, but the best ones are designed for bleeding and filling and have a small valve thingy on them, but I've absolutely no idea where those are from, i've seen 1 in my life and it was on 25mm copper pipe, not the right thing eh?
Old 29th May, 2002, 05:29 AM
eobard

Quote:
Interesting, I would have thought that putting the radiator as near to the block (before it) would have been the most efficient, if you manage to cool water to < ambient it gives it less time and surface area to warm up
I hadn't thought of that, but I think eventually all of my "guts" (save the water block obviously) will be external to the case. I wasn't expecting to find an Eheim 1250 in my desired price range and now that I have I don't think I'll have room for it and a radiator in my case. So I'm probably going to have some length of tubing between the block and the other components regardless of what order they're in.
Old 29th May, 2002, 05:33 AM
Banned

Quote:

I hadn't thought of that, but I think eventually all of my "guts" (save the water block obviously) will be external to the case. I wasn't expecting to find an Eheim 1250 in my desired price range and now that I have I don't think I'll have room for it and a radiator in my case. So I'm probably going to have some length of tubing between the block and the other components regardless of what order they're in.

Still even so, I think the pump would warm the water somewhat, it is a motor after all and is producing kinetic energy, a large amount of which will be converted to thermal

anyway i'm gonna go lie in bed in a min so I dont get in trouble when my mother pops in
Old 29th May, 2002, 05:36 AM
eobard

Quote:

Still even so, I think the pump would warm the water somewhat, it is a motor after all and is producing kinetic energy, a large amount of which will be converted to thermal

anyway i'm gonna go lie in bed in a min so I dont get in trouble when my mother pops in
Tell her you were threatened to stay online:
Attached Images

Old 29th May, 2002, 05:38 AM
Banned

Quote:

Tell her you were threatened to stay online:
AARARAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!"£!"£"$£" *runs*
Old 29th May, 2002, 12:50 PM
Banned

Well i'm weak, I fell asleep

i'll have to go to the plumbing center tomorrow, it's way too late to start walking now, i've got 2-3 hours work before I could even think of it!
Old 29th May, 2002, 06:28 PM
eobard

Take your time, I'm in no rush. In the mean time here's a question for everyone:

If having parts of the system being copper and other parts being aluminum is bad (and I can't remember why but I have heard that before) then is having the bottom of my block being copper and the top being annodized aluminum going to be problematic, or does the layer of annodizing insulate?
Old 29th May, 2002, 07:07 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

With adiquate pump pressure you can force any ammount of water through any size tubing(I've used 1/4" air-brake plastic line with high pressure diaphram pumps with good success). It's folly to use tubing much larger than the smallest fitting. So if the inside diameter of your smallest fitting is 3/8" ID, then use 3/8" ID tubing . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May, 2002, 07:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Take your time, I'm in no rush. In the mean time here's a question for everyone:

If having parts of the system being copper and other parts being aluminum is bad (and I can't remember why but I have heard that before) then is having the bottom of my block being copper and the top being annodized aluminum going to be problematic, or does the layer of annodizing insulate?

The anodization(?) means that you can use copper and aluminium without a problem as far as I know

Yeah true Jeff, I think the best solution would be 1/2" for eobard becuase either way some conversion has to be done, and 1/2" is right in the middle, and gives a decent amount of flow, true 1/8" isnt that bad but still
Old 30th May, 2002, 01:53 AM

Those barbs on the swiftech are a pain and a half.

I think you can replace them with some ordinary hoze barbs, you will probably have to smash the connectors off then re-tap the holes. (there are articles around telling you exactly how, im just geussing)

As for the 1250 pump I have some 1/2" hoze barbs for mine.
You need one 1/2" with 1/2 bsp thread and another 1/2" with 3/8 bsp thread. Obviously thats for 1/2" hoze.

If your planning on an all external system then 1/2" hoze is better. The only real advantage of smaller hoze is its easyer to fit into your case. If your using an external system like mine 1/2" is the way to go.

Submerge your pump, its quieter will increase flow rate (slightly) bleeding the air out will take seconds and it wont add a significant ammount of heat to your water. Most of the pumps energy goes into the water anyway, only a small % will be lost through air cooling on in a closed loop system.

Are you in the UK ?
If you are i have some spare 1/2" barbs for the eheim if you want them. But if your submerging you only need one for the outlet.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th May, 2002, 01:57 AM
Banned

Who you talking to? eobard == canada, me == uk but not needing mods?

ah well , I agree those connectors would really suck but I reckon just sticking some 3/8" pipe down there and securing it with some solder / superglue would be fine

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst
Those barbs on the swiftech are a pain and a half.

I think you can replace them with some ordinary hoze barbs, you will probably have to smash the connectors off then re-tap the holes. (there are articles around telling you exactly how, im just geussing)

As for the 1250 pump I have some 1/2" hoze barbs for mine.
You need one 1/2" with 1/2 bsp thread and another 1/2" with 3/8 bsp thread. Obviously thats for 1/2" hoze.

If your planning on an all external system then 1/2" hoze is better. The only real advantage of smaller hoze is its easyer to fit into your case. If your using an external system like mine 1/2" is the way to go.

Submerge your pump, its quieter will increase flow rate (slightly) bleeding the air out will take seconds and it wont add a significant ammount of heat to your water. Most of the pumps energy goes into the water anyway, only a small % will be lost through air cooling on in a closed loop system.

Are you in the UK ?
If you are i have some spare 1/2" barbs for the eheim if you want them. But if your submerging you only need one for the outlet.
Old 30th May, 2002, 01:59 AM

The corrosion in mixed metal systems is galvanic corrosion where ions of one metal (copper) eat away at the other metal (aluminium) eventually leading to faliure.

Annodising is a bit like a chamical paint that is much tougher than the metal underneath. The annodising wont let the ions get the the alluminium stopping corosion. Be carefull not to scratc hthe annodising or you might have problems (the real danger area is inside the block and you shouldnt be causing damage in there)

Swiftech know what there doing.

Make sure you get a copper rad, and alluminium one may get eaten. Water wetter and i think glycol will help prevent this problem as well.

Old 30th May, 2002, 02:10 AM

I found this

http://www.exclusivepc.com/Reviews/S...intversion.asp

Thats a simple solution. Although your still getting a restriction there.

I also found this

http://www.swiftnets.com/mcw40.htm

That has to be the best looking graphics card waterblock ever.
And they even do a peltier version.
I want one.

Old 30th May, 2002, 02:14 AM
Banned

so what I said then?

Quote:
I found this

I also found this

http://www.swiftnets.com/mcw40.htm

That has to be the best looking graphics card waterblock ever.
And they even do a peltier version.
I want one.
Old 30th May, 2002, 02:39 AM
eobard

Quote:
I found this

Very nice, a much better explanation that the minimal paperwork I got with the block.
Old 1st June, 2002, 02:08 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Yeah, but I REFUSE to post.

OH wait I just did............. crap.
I'd go with the 3/4
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 11th June, 2002, 01:05 AM
eobard

1) BUMP.

2) How much difference would having the system go:

"Pump>Block>Rad" with a mix of hose widths

instead of:

"Pump>Rad>Block" with all the same widths

be?

I now have the pump as of today so I went to size up rads and found one that has one 3/4" and one 1/2" end pipes so if I bought that one (35% cheaper than the next model) then the easiest way to connect everything would be to run a 3/4" hose from the pump to the rad and use 1/2" hose fore everything else. The 3/4" connection on the pump is the input though so the rad would come before the pump, not after.

3) The rad I looked at was 8" by 6" of surface area (not counting the solid ends), the more expensive one was 10" by 7 or 8". Would the bigger one give me much more performance? The price difference is $32.xx Can vs $49.xx Canadian.

Last edited by eobard; 11th June, 2002 at 01:10 AM.