AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

View Poll Results: What size tubing sould I use?
All 3/4" 1 11.11%
All 1/2" 6 66.67%
All 3/8" 1 11.11%
A mix (please specify) 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th June, 2002, 08:31 PM
eobard

I am having no luck finding 3/8" pipe without buying miles of the stuff and finding fittings that will just snap into the block that I can then put 1/2" tubing around is impossible so far. Looks like a welding I will go....
Old 12th June, 2002, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
1) BUMP.

2) How much difference would having the system go:

"Pump>Block>Rad" with a mix of hose widths

instead of:

"Pump>Rad>Block" with all the same widths

be?

I now have the pump as of today so I went to size up rads and found one that has one 3/4" and one 1/2" end pipes so if I bought that one (35% cheaper than the next model) then the easiest way to connect everything would be to run a 3/4" hose from the pump to the rad and use 1/2" hose fore everything else. The 3/4" connection on the pump is the input though so the rad would come before the pump, not after.

3) The rad I looked at was 8" by 6" of surface area (not counting the solid ends), the more expensive one was 10" by 7 or 8". Would the bigger one give me much more performance? The price difference is $32.xx Can vs $49.xx Canadian.
You wont get much of an advantage from using 1/2" tube if you have a 3/8" inlet to your pump.
That will cause a significant restriction and will loose you the flowrate gains from having 1/2"

If your going to use 1/2" make the entire system 1/2"

The order of the system isnt very important.
Idealy you would run Pump - Rad -block and back to pump
But running pump block rad wont be much worse (if at all)

A rad that is 8"x6" sounds big enough to give good performance, many people get away with 4"x4"x2" radiators.
If your planning on using a high wattage peltier then you may have to give your radiator more comsideration.

If you have the facility to weld then if just buy a car heatercore (or two) and solder some 1/2" copper tube as barbs. That should be cheaper than any commercial rad and will give equal or better performance.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!