AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

View Poll Results: What size tubing sould I use?
All 3/4" 1 11.11%
All 1/2" 6 66.67%
All 3/8" 1 11.11%
A mix (please specify) 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th May, 2002, 02:44 AM
eobard

Don't read this yet please, I'm testing a theory about the forums....

Sucker!!! Made ya look! Now, I'm getting an Eheim 1250 pump, I've already got the Swiftech MCW462-U waterblock. The input and output holes in the block are 3/8", the input for the pump is 3/4" and the output is 1/2". I haven't chosen a radiator yet so the dimensions of the connectors for that are still flexible. My question is: What's the best tubing to go with and why?
Old 29th May, 2002, 03:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

I just could not help myself............. :-P Ok- heres what you do-------- 1/2 on pump/rad and make 1/2 to 3/8 convertes on the block- 1/2= more flow!!!!!!!!!11
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May, 2002, 03:38 AM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

Re: Don't read this yet please, I'm testing a theory about the forums....

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
Sucker!!! Made ya look! Now, I'm getting an Eheim 1250 pump, I've already got the Swiftech MCW462-U waterblock. The input and output holes in the block are 3/8", the input for the pump is 3/4" and the output is 1/2". I haven't chosen a radiator yet so the dimensions of the connectors for that are still flexible. My question is: What's the best tubing to go with and why?

well 3/4" will give you a higher flow capacity than 1/2", but that's not really important

with the MCW462-U you can actually use 3/8" or 1/2", with 1/2" you shove it over the entire connector and jubilee clip it on.

I'd say you'd probably have some problems getting 3/4" stuff on the 462, so as 1/2" is compatable with both to an extent, go with that!
Old 29th May, 2002, 03:52 AM
eobard

Re: Re: Don't read this yet please, I'm testing a theory about the forums....

Quote:
Originally posted by b0bb1nz
with the MCW462-U you can actually use 3/8" or 1/2", with 1/2" you shove it over the entire connector and jubilee clip it on.
Actually I didn't get any connectors with the block. The paperwork says to just jam the 3/8" hose in tighter'n hell an that'll be good enough. Sould I get some connectors to go right into the block or should I get a small length of 3/8", jam it in like the instructions say, and then have a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter about an inch outside the block on both the intake and out take? And where should I go for fittings? Should I be taking a serious look at the stuff available at places like Home Deopt or should I go with an online watercooling site?
Old 29th May, 2002, 03:53 AM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

Here's some examples, i'm fairly sure this is the same block

apologies for the poor sharpness but i'm lazy
Attached Thumbnails
Don't read this yet please, I'm testing a theory about the forums....-waterblock-unsecured-1.jpg  
Old 29th May, 2002, 03:54 AM
Banned

2nd one, both these have just been forced over connector

note: they are watertight to a small amount of pressure but I wouldn't really recommend leaving them like that
Attached Thumbnails
Don't read this yet please, I'm testing a theory about the forums....-waterblock-unsecured-2.jpg  
Old 29th May, 2002, 03:55 AM
Banned

And secured (and a slightly better pic!)
Attached Thumbnails
Don't read this yet please, I'm testing a theory about the forums....-waterblock-secured-1.jpg  
Old 29th May, 2002, 03:55 AM
Banned

And the 2nd angle of the secured one
Attached Thumbnails
Don't read this yet please, I'm testing a theory about the forums....-waterblock-secured-2.jpg  
Old 29th May, 2002, 03:56 AM
Banned

btw that's 1/2" hose, lemme get some of random's 3/8" stuff and take a pic

edit: bah, it looks like it's more 1/2", sorry, got no 3/8".. but if you want to use that, you just cut it straight, make sure that ring things out, and push till it secures
Old 29th May, 2002, 04:05 AM
eobard

Quote:
Here's some examples, i'm fairly sure this is the same block
Actually I have the new version, a redesigned outer shell, made to make sure it clear capacitors on the motherboard. But the top side is the same. Where'd you get those connectors? And what if anything did you have to do to make sure they interface with the block water-proofidly? Did you wrap them with that white seal-tape stuff or just pop them in the holes?
Old 29th May, 2002, 04:16 AM
Banned

Quote:

Actually I have the new version, a redesigned outer shell, made to make sure it clear capacitors on the motherboard. But the top side is the same. Where'd you get those connectors? And what if anything did you have to do to make sure they interface with the block water-proofidly? Did you wrap them with that white seal-tape stuff or just pop them in the holes?
Damn you I wanted that new version

The connectors are the stock ones, the "white seal tape" stuff you're probably talking about is PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene.. god knows how i remembered that) which is incredibly smooth stuff, used in plumbing to ensure good fits etc, and hell we used it when we secured some CCTV domes

but no, those are stock connectors. The 2 things over them are Jubilee clips, 1/4" - 3/4" variety
Old 29th May, 2002, 04:23 AM
eobard

Quote:

Damn you I wanted that new version
Then you should have tried to win Betty's contest. Since you obviously know what your own components look like up close do you know if connectors from a different source (like a hardware store) would be good enough or do you think I have to order the same ones as you have from Swiftech?
Old 29th May, 2002, 04:28 AM
Banned

Quote:

Then you should have tried to win Betty's contest. Since you obviously know what your own components look like up close do you know if connectors from a different source (like a hardware store) would be good enough or do you think I have to order the same ones as you have from Swiftech?
Woah a second, you havent even shown me a picture of your connectors? what's to say we cant mod them?

I've never taken the connectors off, and to be honest, I dont want to possibly ruin this block to do so, but from what I can see, it looks like a right angled 3/8" quick release connector with a form of slip ring (to let it rotate) which has been screwed onto a small amount of deep threaded 3/8" pipe.. infact screw it i'll take it off now and have a look, it looks screwed in plainly with some PTFE btw

Take a pic of yours if you can, and i'll show you one of the ways to mod yours if you dont wanna change the connectors
Old 29th May, 2002, 04:32 AM
Banned

Right, try as I did, I can't even get the connector to move at all, and i'm lacking in a bench vice so that's out of the question, i'm just gonna go find my connectors now to show you a way to mod some 3/8" piping
Old 29th May, 2002, 04:36 AM
Banned

Grrr cant find connectors either, I swear this place is a tip

anyway what I was looking for was a 2" long 1/2" diameter straight join connector which is basically a 2" long bit of plastic with grooves which mirror each other, so you push 1/2" pipe securely (the grooves make it tight as hell) to the middle on both sides

now what you /could/ (possibly), maybe do, is push 1/2" pipe to the middle on one side, then force 3/8" as far up as it will go (they're slightly tapered) then jubilee clip it on

they may well do 3/8" to 1/2" straight joins, but i've not seen any, they'll exist somewhere though
Old 29th May, 2002, 04:43 AM
eobard

Here's what I've got (it's not actually mine, I just took a shot from the Swiftech site) It shows all the connectors that came with my block (in other words NONE). I'm just wondering if any old generic 90 degree connectors from my localhard ware store will plug in in a leak proof manner or should I get some specially designed ones from Swiftech?
Attached Thumbnails
Don't read this yet please, I'm testing a theory about the forums....-mcw462-u.gif  
Old 29th May, 2002, 04:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Here's what I've got (it's not actually mine, I just took a shot from the Swiftech site) It shows all the connectors that came with my block (in other words NONE). I'm just wondering if any old generic 90 degree connectors from my localhard ware store will plug in in a leak proof manner or should I get some specially designed ones from Swiftech?
ooh deary me! I must admit I never saw that pic

ok, 3/8" pipe will fit in there, and securely, it'll most probably be water tight, and getting hold of some 3/8" alu/copper pipe is a bit tricky but not impossible i'd guess (9.525mm?)

You'd then want either to try and jubilee clip a 1/2" pipe on, get an adaptor (never used one, so pass) or, use the other method of 3/8" pipe > straight connector > 1/2" pipe

I doubt they're removable easily, but if they are it won't really herald any huge improvement as you could just jam some 3/8" pipe in there anyway and it'd be watertight (it'll use a gripping ring, rubber or some similar form probably)
Old 29th May, 2002, 04:55 AM
eobard

When you say 3/8" pipe do you mean 3/8" flexible tubing or real, solid, copper pipe?
Old 29th May, 2002, 04:57 AM
Banned

Aha i'm such an idiot, I have used this stuff before.

I think if you wish to use 1/2" tubing this method may work:

Get yourself a small length of 3/8" copper tube (I've never worked with anything else)
Get a 3/8" straight coupling, without a stop if possible, you can find them at http://www.plumbingsupply.com/copper.html
Solder the 3/8" pipe to the coupling, then force the 1/2" over the coupling and clip on.

That's assuming the coupling will be more than 1/2" in diameter, the sutff we've used is probably JUST 1/2", so the alternative is:

Get a reducing coupling (1/2" to 3/8") and a small length of 1/2" copper pipe aswell

Solder the 3/8" to the coupling, and the 1/2" to the coupling, then force (it will be a force job) the 1/2" pipe over the pipe and clip

You've still got the old option of modifying at the pump end, but it's much the same job.

I'd be willing to sort all this out for you and test it if you want me to? It cant cost much, i'll take a trip down to the plumbing place near me tomorrow to check out prices and maybe pick up the kit, I havent got a blowtorch and any 1mm solder here though unfortunately
Old 29th May, 2002, 04:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
When you say 3/8" pipe do you mean 3/8" flexible tubing or real, solid, copper pipe?
I meant pipe