AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st May, 2002, 01:26 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

CO2 anyone?

Ello guys, since i am going to teh AOA meet, i cants afford any snazzy cooling gear. so. Im gonna be making a CO2 cooler. What i need to know is are there any liquids that i can use the CO2 to chill but that wont freeze? needs a freezing point BELOW -79 c

thx in advance!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st May, 2002, 02:05 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Melting point of CO2 is -56.6ºC, which should give you some more liquids to play with. The best I've found so far is pure ammonia (melts -77.7ºC, boils -33.4ºC so perfectly in range)

Sublimation starts at -79ºC, but it's quite a slow process until you get closer to 0ºC. You can also seal the system to hold it in equilibrium...

EDIT: Hey, cool, some really nasty chemicals would work for this... phosgene anyone?

What about Chromyl Chloride: CrO2Cl2, dark red liquid, mp -96.5ºC, bp 117.6ºC ???

Last edited by Kaitain; 31st May, 2002 at 02:10 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st May, 2002, 02:12 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

ok, your helping me go shopping in seattle for the right chemicals! the p3-450 is gonna be goin for 666 mhz :devil:

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 31st May, 2002, 02:14 PM

OK, on to the organic liquids now

Acetone. Look no further - you have a winner!

Melts at -94.6C, boils at 56.5C, isn't too toxic, though you might want to keep a lid on naked flames. I'll keep looking for a non-flammable one. If nothing else, there's always the freon handbook to wade through.

Work's boring
Old 31st May, 2002, 02:41 PM

perfect! ill make up a cooler some time soon, probably do a socket one as well as a slot one, so if anyone wants to they can supercool there chip!

what kind of volume should i make the coolant chamber? and i plan to make like a chute to load the CO2 into...

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 31st May, 2002, 03:29 PM

You'll set yourself on fire, Random. You will
Old 31st May, 2002, 10:48 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

You're making me nervous, Random Nonsense. As experiments, working with all of these deadly chemicals might make sense. As a ~permanent way to cool a box, I doubt that the insurance empire would deem this as something a "reasonable and prudent" person would do. In other words, if you kill yourself and or burn the house down, your parents won't collect anything to replace the dwelling with, nor any pile o' dough to make the sting of losing you a bit less painful. And we would miss you too!

As buying these assorted deadly substances, as well purchasing all of the stuff you would need to handle these materials in a somewhat safe and sane manner will probably cost more than you have budgeted for, why not explore good old water cooling instead? Are Koolance brand cases available in the UK? AFAIK, they make nearly all of the puzzles about H2O cooling extinct.

If you've already tried water cooling, this isn't a good suggestion, sorry.
Old 31st May, 2002, 10:56 PM

Me and Kaitain scratch built my watercooler, blew my PC up thought after a week!

Im planning this as a one off really. I have no problems with potent chemicals, Kaitain probably drinks the stuff anyway!

And, I've never claimed to be reasonable or prudent, dont have any kind of life insurance as far as i know either! As to burning a house down, wouldnt happen, i'd only ever attempt this outside! I mean, i know what even dilute acetone can do to you in a confined space, working with pure stuff, even a whiff would probably make an elephant start dancing with the pixies! Let alone the fire risk!

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 1st June, 2002, 02:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

I thought i used CO2 to paintball with........... not to mention Nitrogen-
SPyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 1st June, 2002, 08:46 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

When you say CO2, do you mean dry ice, or CO2 in a bottle? I've used dry ice with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and methanol, it worked fairly well(until the pump shaft siezed up anyway). Haven't played around with CO2 in the bottle, but that would be kind of nifty, vapor phase cooling without the compressor or condenser . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 1st June, 2002, 09:40 AM
eobard

I have no useful information to impart but if all you chemists could read this when you're done here I'd appreciate it.
Old 1st June, 2002, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
When you say CO2, do you mean dry ice, or CO2 in a bottle? I've used dry ice with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and methanol, it worked fairly well(until the pump shaft siezed up anyway). Haven't played around with CO2 in the bottle, but that would be kind of nifty, vapor phase cooling without the compressor or condenser . . .
Dry Ice, its still CO2 but doesnt conjour up images of bad 80's music videos with dry ice "smoke" billowing everywhere!

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 3rd June, 2002, 10:30 AM

Send a message via ICQ to reddeathdrinker Send a message via AIM to reddeathdrinker Send a message via Yahoo to reddeathdrinker

Freon has excellent heat transfer properties......
Old 3rd June, 2002, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by reddeathdrinker
Freon has excellent heat transfer properties......
but isnt close enough to absolute zero for my tastes!

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 5th June, 2002, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Me and Kaitain scratch built my watercooler, blew my PC up thought after a week!
You'll remember to use waterproof glue next time, wontcha

Quote:
Im planning this as a one off really. I have no problems with potent chemicals, Kaitain probably drinks the stuff anyway!
Wha??? I'm not half as thunk as tinkle peep!

I use pretty much pure acetone on a regular basis. HSE regulations means it only gets used in a flame-proof high extraction fume cupboard (which always amuses me, as it just dumps the vapour on the roof. Regulations are pointless ) If I accidentally happen to catch a whiff of this stuff, it does make the vision swim a bit (not recommended.) There have been no reported incidences in my lab of acetone vapour blast - which is a good thing, because there's enough petrochemical lying round here to turn Surrey into a crater!

Seriously, noxious chemical cooling is a helluva risk for no real benefit. H2O is a better option, provided you use the right glue
Old 18th June, 2002, 02:45 PM

what? noone has mentioned ln2? that odd.. also i heard some stuff about co2 that it wont be stable as a liquid its a very fat chance that it woulld stay liquid... if thats waht your looking for
Old 18th June, 2002, 03:06 PM

Neither will LN2 unless it's kept under (high) pressure. CO2 will sublime away and LN2 will boil away, so really they're only used for one-off-wonders.

One of the other less pleasant effects of LN2 is it's just a little too cold, so can cause differential contraction within the chip, effectively causing it to tear itself apart. (To explain: the index of expansion of Si, Al and Cu is pretty similar in the range -10ºC - 60ºC but more than 10ºC outside the range and the metal components will expand/contract more than the semi-metal components, causing the core to shatter.)

I'm not quite sure what RN was after, but I like noxious chemicals
Old 18th June, 2002, 06:33 PM

Your best off with dry ice.

I think thats about ideal at about -70 odd, LN2 is just too cold.

Maybee a Dry ice cooled peltier ?

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 18th June, 2002, 07:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

You would be able to you this only for a short time and on a level surface, designing a copper based container to sit on the CPU and somehow attach- i have seen it done with EXCLENT results but 3 h is the MAX run time-
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 18th June, 2002, 08:07 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

You guy won't believe this but my "STAFF" laughed at me when I wanted to sub reference the forums as "Kamikaze Kumputing"!

OK the whole forum laught at me, but I still think it's a good idea!!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 18th June, 2002 at 08:09 PM.