AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st June, 2002, 06:31 PM

Talking I need honest advice regarding watercooling

Ok guys,

I'm kinda thinking of moving on to watercooling. So all I need are a few pros and cons of watercooling. Would I really see a great jump in cooling performance compared to my Swiftech MCX462???

I am thinking of purchasing the Innovatek watercooling kit.
Old 1st June, 2002, 07:44 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

The innovatek kit is excellent, with Kits everything should work straight off the bat, just a THOUROUGH test for leaks is necessary. I would advise at least a weak operating outside of the case.

The temperatures should be lower by a fair bit, and it SHOULD be quiet, VERY quiet when compared with aircooling of anywhere NEAR its capacity (you would be running at LEAST an 80mm delta to get anything like the temps you can expect with water, with a plethora of case fans as well)

With a system like the Innovatek, its best to use distilled water, this will prevent the need to de-scale the system, add some kind of biocide, antifreeze isthe most common, it should prevent any bugs growing in the water.

I hear the Innovatek has one slight design flaw, the reservoir is so small that bubbles are formed by the water entering the tank and these are sucked into the pump. I THINK this has been rectified now, but am not 100% sure, the old fix for it was to put a bit of foam in the bottom of the reservoir, this got rid of the bubble problem.

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st June, 2002, 08:28 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

I use a DangerDen Maze3 with an Eheim pump / chevy p/u truck heater core / and an electric fan in an external box, then route my hoses through the back of the main box to the CPU.
I did this because I was totally flat out disgusted with the noise of 12 fans trying to keep things cool.
As for distilled water, you MUST put an additive in, either Water Wetter and/or a mixture of regular automotive antifreeze (as I did) to prevent an electrical reaction of dissimilar metals in the system, and water contamination.

A WEEK of testing? hahah.. well, that's a bit paranoid. I ran mine for about 2 hours, no leaks, and have never experienced one in a month so far.

The CPU temps are usually about 3 to 4 degrees above system temps, needless to say, MUCH cooler than with air.
The noise level is nil compared to before. I also have a 2-speed fan for the radiator, and have my two remaining system fans on my voltage-regulated fan control.

Well, that's my .o2 worth.

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st June, 2002, 08:48 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Quote:
Originally posted by Orbit

A WEEK of testing? hahah.. well, that's a bit paranoid. I ran mine for about 2 hours, no leaks, and have never experienced one in a month so far.
You're talking to a guy who blew up his rig due to a leak that manifested itself after almost spot on a week.

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 2nd June, 2002, 01:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to chazz469 Send a message via AIM to chazz469 Send a message via Yahoo to chazz469

Pros:
* Much cooler..... (I'm running about 3°C above system temp.)
* Much quieter...(my roommate couldn't believe my computer was even on after I installed my Maze-3 system.)
* It's [Hard]!!!

Cons:
* It's a pain to change around a lot. So I would reccommend getting a design that will work for a while.
* It takes a little tweaking here and there to get it right....(see first con).
* It's a little on the pricy side. ( I spent about $250 US so far on my first sytem...)

As far as testing for leaks...it's imperative that you do it. How long you do it is up to you. MOST people will say about 24 hours. I did it for about 3 hours, and then couldn't stand it anymore and had to put it in.

And right now I'm in Heaven!!!

AMD XP1600+ @ 1754MHz >> and gradually working my way up!!!
MSI KT3 Ultra ARU
GF2 MX400 (200/334) @ 233/366
2x 20GB Maxtor RAID 0
1x 30GB Maxtor --> WinXP
Old 2nd June, 2002, 02:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

there:
Attached Thumbnails
I need honest advice regarding watercooling-i-want-.jpg  
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 2nd June, 2002, 04:30 AM

Quote:
[i]
I hear the Innovatek has one slight design flaw, the reservoir is so small that bubbles are formed by the water entering the tank and these are sucked into the pump. I THINK this has been rectified now, but am not 100% sure, the old fix for it was to put a bit of foam in the bottom of the reservoir, this got rid of the bubble problem. [/B]
Alrayt thanks guys

Random Nonsense,
i am currently trying to read as much articles on watercooling and reviews on the Innovatek watercooling system. And yep you're right, until now, the fix for the bubble problem is still foam at the bottom of the reservoir.

I am also looking at the Swiftech kit, looks better than the Innovatek kit but I noticed that to bleed the system and add water is a bit more of a hassle as compared to the Innovatek kit where all you have to do is to open the reservoir and pour in the water. No valves and the such to twist and turn.

Thanks guys for your advice
Old 2nd June, 2002, 04:54 AM

Just wondering if you have a setup like this: WHere do run the power cord of the pump???

Looks like you gotta do a bit of case modding......
Attached Thumbnails
I need honest advice regarding watercooling-screenhunter_003.jpg  
Old 2nd June, 2002, 07:56 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Quote:
Originally posted by JayJay
Just wondering if you have a setup like this: WHere do run the power cord of the pump???

Looks like you gotta do a bit of case modding......
I don't know about where you run the power cable's, but I'm guessing right out the back of the case. Yes, you will have to mod the case, unless you want to have the pipes going out the side of the computer and the whole setup outside the computer. Personaly, I would cut 120mm holes in the front where you are placing the 120mm fans.
Old 2nd June, 2002, 08:33 AM

Ummm.... 1. -some cases are made for 120mm front inputs- 2. power is off a relay switch- power connects to the ps POWER (must moddify ps) and the 12v line from the ps- turn the pump on-
Sigma- becareful in giving advice- especialy in areas you are inexperianced b/c the advice is most the time ill researched and people look from advice from people w/ experiance who KNOW what they are talking about- other wise- its nothing but spam-
SPyder
AOA Team fah
Old 2nd June, 2002, 09:41 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Most cases need moding to add in a 120mm fan. About the power, as I said, I do not know enough to lend advice. I personally will be using a 12V on/off relay off of the PSU so that when the computers power goes live, so does the pump. I personally will be just plugging the pump in to the wall, with this relay system in-between.

Last edited by SiGmA_X; 3rd June, 2002 at 02:32 AM.
Old 2nd June, 2002, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SiGmA_X
Firstly, I think you should take the advice given about using proper grammar and spelling.

Also, I do know what I am talking about. Most cases need moding to add in a 120mm fan. About the power, as I said, I do not know enough to lend advice. I personally will be using a 12V on/off relay off of the PSU so that when the computers power goes live, so does the pump. I personally will be just plugging the pump in to the wall, with this relay system in-between.

Sorry Spyder, you 10053.
Show me where the "advice" had been given- other then your mumblings- and stop makin fun of my minor delexia- (layoff)1. i said SOME cases have 120 intakes-there are some real nice ones out there- and arent i the one that suggested the relay? Wouldnt this mean you loose (What is 10053? nothing probably :-P)? (Lets not argu in the foums dude-)
Innvotek is very widley know and very good- most there systems score the same lower (thats good) then the danger den setups- For adding a radiator- you should have it in the TOP or BACK of hte case- so not to pull warm air into the case- and therefore raise system and cpu temp-
Spyder
AOA Team fah

Last edited by The Spyder; 2nd June, 2002 at 12:25 PM.
Old 2nd June, 2002, 02:49 PM

Just imagine: For 200US++ I could actually purchase a XBOX!!!

XBOX or WATERCOOLING???? Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 2nd June, 2002, 03:33 PM

Quote:
watercooling!!! Mine cost me almost nothing (was all home made, bar the pump.)

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 2nd June, 2002, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense

watercooling!!! Mine cost me almost nothing (was all home made, bar the pump.)

But............but.......but heheheheheheeh
Old 2nd June, 2002, 06:03 PM
eobard

To whom it may concern: Less arguing, more getting along. Don't make me get the cat's @$$.
Old 2nd June, 2002, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
To whom it may concern: Less arguing, more getting along. Don't make me get the cat's @$$.
I've dealt with it, cats @sses were not necessary

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 3rd June, 2002, 02:25 AM

Quote:

Watercooling. For under $200USD you will have the tightest watercooling setup possible, and have braging rights, and hella good OC'z.

Here's what I'm looking at puttiny in my case:
Danger Den MAZE3 - $42 @ DangerDen
Cooler Core Pro Combo - $56 @ DTek
Supreme Mag Drive Pump Model 2, 250 gph - $35 @ PetSmart

Or maybe just this entire kit:
FLOWMASTER MAX /w Spir@l Waterblock (AMD) - Price Unknown @ DTek
Old 3rd June, 2002, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Spyder

Show me where the "advice" had been given- other then your mumblings- and stop makin fun of my minor delexia- (layoff)1. i said SOME cases have 120 intakes-there are some real nice ones out there- and arent i the one that suggested the relay? Wouldnt this mean you loose (What is 10053? nothing probably :-P)? (Lets not argu in the foums dude-)
Innvotek is very widley know and very good- most there systems score the same lower (thats good) then the danger den setups- For adding a radiator- you should have it in the TOP or BACK of hte case- so not to pull warm air into the case- and therefore raise system and cpu temp-
Spyder
10053 == loose...

If you want an entire kit, for a good price, look at the link I posted in the post above.

Now, no more arguing between Spyder and me – It’s getting old!
Old 3rd June, 2002, 06:30 AM

Quote:

WATERCOOLING AN X BOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Spyder
AOA Team fah