AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd June, 2002, 10:37 PM

Is CPUIDLE reaaly working this well ?

The temp of my athlonXP 2000+ on AK3A+ is running at 57 to 60 C, using a Akasa 785 H/Fan.
I've just installed cpuidle pro 5.9 about an hour ago and within minutes the reported temp, using (USDM) dropped to 35 C.
Can this really be happening ?
I assume that as soon as I start to do anything load intensive, like video encoding that the temp will shoot straight back up.
The room temp is approx 25 C and USDM is reporing a system temp of 34 C.
I'm just amazed that a piece of software can so dramatically alter the temp of a CPU.
Cheers
Chris.
Old 2nd June, 2002, 10:46 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

DANG MAN!!! That temp is WAY TOO HIGH!! try taking the side of your case off and see if temps drop. If they do then you need to look into better case ventilation.

If they don't you may want to check and make sure that your heat sync is installed properly, make sure that you use some thermal compound. Must of us here prefer you use AT least Artic Silver II (ASII) if not Artic Silver 3 (AS3)

I as well as MANY other he look forward to helping you with your system. And in return all we ask is for NOTHING.

But............
If your NOT folding for someone, please check out our Folding @ Home topic and start folding for US.

Enjoy your new home here at AOA forums and glad to have you.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd June, 2002, 11:20 PM

The case it's in is a Lian-Li PC-7USB Aluminium Tower Case, with an ENERMAX EG365P-VE PSU. The case has 2 X 80mm intake fans, blowing over the hard drives and 1 X 80mm outlet fan. The PSU has 2 fans, 1 outlet over the CPU and a case outlet fan. The room size I'm in is about 9' X 9' and pretty cramped for space, room temp reading 25 C.
I'm pretty sure that the system temp is under control, it's the cpu temp I'm concerned about.
I've order a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ and some Arctic Silver III to go with it.
So hopefully I'll get the temp down some.
I've checked that the heatsink seems to be seated OK, anyway from what I've read it would show up pretty quickly if it wasn't.
I spoke to the tech support where I bought board and CPU from and he seemed to think that the temps were too high, same as yourself, I might take them in for testing after I've tried the new heatsink to see what the difference is, if any.
Have you any thoughts on the usefulness of "cpuidle" ? it's certainly had an immediate effect on the CPU temp.
Cheers
Chris.
Old 2nd June, 2002, 11:22 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

I wouldnt fold with temps like that.....

CPU idling programs literally stop the CPU doing anything, if its not active, its not producing any heat. so it will give results like that, but if anything its worse for the CPU as the internal components have to endure more stress as they expand and contract further and more often than if the temperature difference was smaller.

One other thing, check the CPU is installed correct way round (ive seen them back to front before! even when installed by people who build the things for a living!)

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."

Last edited by Random Nonsense; 2nd June, 2002 at 11:24 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd June, 2002, 11:26 PM

would the CPU work if it was installed back to front ?

Chris.
LIAN-LI PC7 case
Enermax PSU
Old 2nd June, 2002, 11:30 PM

sorry, forgot to ask in the last post.
But what do you mean when you say " I wouldn't fold" ? What does "folding" mean ?
I don't understand what you're on about
Sorry for being thick
Chris.
LIAN-LI PC7 case
Enermax PSU
Old 2nd June, 2002, 11:48 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Folding @ Home

read about it Here

As to the CPU working with the heatsink back to front, seen it with my own eyes, a 1200mhz Tbird at 60 celsius crashing every 5 mins when underclocked to 900 mhz!

sorted it out by turning the heatsink around and replacing the chewing gum style thermal compound with AS 2, 1375mhz or something, and 5c cooler than what it was at 900mhz! Was a crummy heatsink though.

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 2nd June, 2002, 11:56 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

usually heat syncs have a "CUT OUT" in the base. "MATCH" this cut out with the RAISED part on your ZIF socket. (the place were you put your cpu)

As for folding I'm with Random, don't start until you get your temps ALOT lower.

I hope this explains it for you, if not I'll see if I can find some pix to show you.
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 3rd June, 2002, 06:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Im sorry but i am VERY confused....... do you mean 8K3A+ not AK3A+????? I even check epox site....... i have never heard of that board..............
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 3rd June, 2002, 08:54 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Quote:
Originally posted by mrbingley
The case it's in is a Lian-Li PC-7USB Aluminium Tower Case, with an ENERMAX EG365P-VE PSU. The case has 2 X 80mm intake fans, blowing over the hard drives and 1 X 80mm outlet fan. The PSU has 2 fans, 1 outlet over the CPU and a case outlet fan. The room size I'm in is about 9' X 9' and pretty cramped for space, room temp reading 25 C.
I'm pretty sure that the system temp is under control, it's the cpu temp I'm concerned about.
I've order a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ and some Arctic Silver III to go with it.
So hopefully I'll get the temp down some.
I've checked that the heatsink seems to be seated OK, anyway from what I've read it would show up pretty quickly if it wasn't.
I spoke to the tech support where I bought board and CPU from and he seemed to think that the temps were too high, same as yourself, I might take them in for testing after I've tried the new heatsink to see what the difference is, if any.
Have you any thoughts on the usefulness of "cpuidle" ? it's certainly had an immediate effect on the CPU temp.
Cheers
Chris.
I have this same case, and the temps are far lower, even with no front fans, and only the side and back fans running (I added a side fan)... The V7+ should lower the temp a ton. Hopefuly that will solve your problem. If not, go water

I'm with Spyder here - What the heck is a AK3A+?
Old 3rd June, 2002, 11:20 AM

Sorry about the misinformation, of course I meant to say the board is a "8K3A+"
Heat of the moment mistake. apologies.
Cheers
Chris.
LIAN-LI PC7 case
Enermax PSU
Old 6th June, 2002, 01:45 AM
AOA Staff

Follow up? What has become of this? Did you get your temps down?

Was the heatsync installed wrong?
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 6th June, 2002, 11:54 AM

Thumbs up

I've installed the Thermaltake Vocano 7+ using Artic Silver III for the thermal compound and after 30 mins so far the temps are
CPU (idle) 44C
System 30C
Room 21C
The fan is set to its medium setting, running the the fan at approx 4820rpm. Ain't tried it at any other speed settings yet.
So I'm feeling a lot happier now.
On Artics site it said that the paste takes about 72 hrs to bed in, so I'll do another comparison then.
Thanks for your help.
Chris.
LIAN-LI PC7 case
Enermax PSU
Old 6th June, 2002, 02:31 PM

I've just altered the BIOS memory settings to "FAST" and upped the CPU clock to 140, added .25 volts. Heatsink/fan still set to medium speed.
It now registers as a 2100XP, the memory as 350MHZ from 333MHZ and the temp has increased by 3C, it seems OK when using it in windows, but I suppose with the proper tackle this board should be capable of much higher settings.
If I feel more adventurous I may have a go at taking it up a bit more.
Is it best to alter the DDR settings when upping the CPU clock, or to leave those at "NORMAL"
Cheers
Chris.
LIAN-LI PC7 case
Enermax PSU
Old 6th June, 2002, 06:42 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, mrbingley! As far as memory timings/settings go, cautious increases in performance are accepted wisdom. This holds true for every BIOS setting on your mainboard, of course.

Some BIOS's allow one to increase the voltage value to the RAM, in aid of a stable overclock. I'm impressed that your processor is now running at normal temperatures. Well done!

I like more cooling than is necessary, personally.
Old 7th June, 2002, 12:49 AM
AOA Staff

Sweet that you got the temps down.
NOW you need to check out Folding@home topic and PLEASE join us!!

We need all the help we can get.
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 8th June, 2002, 04:08 PM

Update on my new settings.
I've bought a PCMods Rheobus Kit (just underĀ£40 here in the UK).
Connected my 2 front intake fans to a seperate line apiece, the rear outlet fan and altered my Thermaltake Vocano 7+ by removing the inline resistor and fixing it to the Rheobus. I can now vary all of the fans in my system to whatever speed settings I like, taking into account the temps I see from USDM.
The Enermax PSU came with an adjustable fan speed dial so I can change that as well, depending upon circumstances.
Having plenty of fun at the moment, altering settings and monitoring the diffrences.
I've got the CPU fan running at a tad over 3000rpm and temps are hovering round the 50C mark. With all running at full speed the temps go down to about 44C.
I've found that by having the 2 intake fans running at half speed all the time, I only really need to boost the outlet fan and PSU fans if temps rise too much.
The next job is to see if I can move the rotary dial from the PSU and attach it to the face plate that the Rheobus sits in (to save having to reach round the back of the computer) and I've been pricing up some soundproofing to take the noise down even lower.
I'm enjoying myself so much that I've hardly got time to use the computer anymore, too busy tinkering and thinking of what to alter next.
Cheers
Chris.
LIAN-LI PC7 case
Enermax PSU
Old 12th June, 2002, 05:29 AM
AOA Staff

Good to hear that your starting to become (oops have become) a TRUE overclocker.

As far as the sound proofing stuff goes. Try some Dyno-Mat. But the ONLY place I would recomend getting it is at Frye's if there is one near you. cuz if you goto Best Buy or an Auto Stereo Store you'll probably end up paying DOUBLE.

Happy hunting.
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 15th June, 2002, 08:38 AM

Been using CPUIDLE and Hmonitor for past several months and temps have never been better. Now only have CPUIDLE loaded on both my systems as Hmonitor failed once I loaded the latest v1007 Bios upgrade onto my A7M266 board. Although I have requested help with the problem Hmonitor has yet to solve the problem.

CPUIDLE reduces temps by 10 degrees or more allowing me to o/c both systems, keep fan speeds and silent levels all while not impacting system performance and maintaining reasonable temps in the 41 degree operating range. All in all I could not be happier.

If anyone has any thoughts on what may have stopped Hmonitor I would love to hear from you.
Zelman Flower CPU Fan
MSI GForce 4 Ti4400
Windows XP Home

Last edited by WayneD; 15th June, 2002 at 08:41 AM.