AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd June, 2002, 11:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

New Water Cooling

I'm ordering some watercooling stuff (Radiator, pump, and block) tonight (Or maybe tomorrow night) and need some information.

What waterblock? I am currently looking at the DTek Spiral (Rated for over 250GPH). It costs $40USD.

What pump? I am looking at a MagDrive (250GPH) or this VIA pump I saw on OC-Forums (Sorry, no URL to pump).

How many GPH? All the stuff will be at nearly the same level, so it wont be pumped up much.

And for the radiator, I am looking at the DTek Pro Core...

Please post what you think about this stuff, and any changes you think necessary.

Last edited by SiGmA_X; 4th June, 2002 at 03:47 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd June, 2002, 11:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to IFMU Send a message via AIM to IFMU Send a message via Yahoo to IFMU

Well something to keep in mind is that the actual GPH isnt that big of a deal with the level of components. That is the 'lift' (I think thats right) the pump can do. Basiclly the actual power it can move water up.

I havent read much about the MagDrive pumps, so I cant say there. Maybe look at the ehiem (spelling?) pumps? Ive heard alot of good stuff about these.

As for the block, By my understanding thats one of the better blocks out there at the moment.

Something to keep in mind, watch how the block attaches to the board. Does it use the holes? or the tabs on the cpu socket?

And if it uses the holes, does your motherboard support that? If not, then you might want to check out if you can get the stuff so it will connect to the tabs. Or maybe have to go with another block.

Sorry, I dont know alot about the exact details on some of this stuff. I build most of my water cooling stuff myself.

Hope this helps some

IFMU
Old 3rd June, 2002, 11:33 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

More or less a perfect choice, the Gemini is probably the best commercial block available at this time, the radiator is a proper heatercore type one (plenty of overhead) and the pump is up to the job!!!

Tell us how it works out and dont forget PICS!

All socket A boards should have the holes, and the gemini mounts to them

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd June, 2002, 11:48 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
All socket A boards should have the holes, and the gemini mounts to them
I have the Gemini.

Right now, without a radiator of any sort, my Duron @ 1147Mhz is at 45C under full F@H load

That's pretty good. I'm still gonna save up money to get a radiator though

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 4th June, 2002, 01:53 AM

That stuff seems ok.

The heater core seems to be fairly good value, you could probably do better at a car yard, but thats more trouble.

Pump wise find a online aquatics shop and see what they have.

I have an eheim 1250 and although its slightly more expensive than some others its very high quality and reliable. As I often leave my PC unatended for several days i cant afford a pump faliure or leak.

Get yourself some silicone hoze (or tygon if your rich) dont forgett hoze clamps (plastic type prefered)

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 4th June, 2002, 02:02 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

What exactly is the beneifits of tygon over silly cone?

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 4th June, 2002, 05:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

I think I'm going to order in a few minutes I will probably be getting a MagDrive 150 or 250GPH pump at the local PetSmart (Note to self: pick up some dog food). What would be recommended - 150GPH, or 250GPH?

Last edited by SiGmA_X; 4th June, 2002 at 05:11 AM.
Old 4th June, 2002, 05:21 AM

250 obviously

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 4th June, 2002, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
250 obviously
That's what I was thinking, but why?
Old 4th June, 2002, 01:23 PM

And what pump? MagDrive or Ehime or VIA? (Heres that info on the VIA - http://becooling.safeshopper.com/20/116.htm?128)
Old 4th June, 2002, 02:16 PM

Tygon hose has alot of the same qualitys as silicon but it clear and is not affected by water wetter....the 1/2 x 3/4 tygon has a bend radius of 1 1/2...its nice it being clear to
All fits nicely inside my case
ambient(26c) 2.0v Core(33.5) Loaded
idle(31.5c)
Enermax 431 watt
Antec 1030B
Gainward Geforce 3 TI200 241/548
Sony CDRW
Creative 52x CD
Soundblaster Live
Old 4th June, 2002, 02:18 PM

Quote:
And what pump? MagDrive or Ehime or VIA? (Heres that info on the VIA -

well if u have the money to burn and the space for it i would go for the Ehiem 1250 its a sure bet...i have heard good and bad things about the rest of them but only good about a ehiem and there quiet to but all this comes with a big price tag to
idle(31.5c)
Enermax 431 watt
Antec 1030B
Sony CDRW
Creative 52x CD
Soundblaster Live
Old 4th June, 2002, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by UpAllNight

well if u have the money to burn and the space for it i would go for the Ehiem 1250 its a sure bet...i have heard good and bad things about the rest of them but only good about a ehiem and there quiet to but all this comes with a big price tag to
I don't really have the extra $50 it costs for a Ehime. I'm going VIA.
Old 4th June, 2002, 04:31 PM

theres some threads on those VIA pumps at www.procooling.com

a few guys over there use them i havent heard anything bad about them
idle(31.5c)
Enermax 431 watt
Antec 1030B
Sony CDRW
Creative 52x CD
Soundblaster Live
Old 4th June, 2002, 06:04 PM

Quote:
theres some threads on those VIA pumps at www.procooling.com

a few guys over there use them i havent heard anything bad about them
This is where and what I'm buying for the pump: http://becooling.safeshopper.com/20/116.htm?128

The following it was I'm getting for my system:
DTek Spiral WB ($40)
DTek Pro Core ($36)
VIA 318GPH Pump ($24)
--Shipping: Approx $12

I think this will be a good setup
Old 4th June, 2002, 07:22 PM

thats sounds like a good setup

what kinda hoses and clamps are u goin to use?

what kinda fan on your rad?
idle(31.5c)
Enermax 431 watt
Antec 1030B
Sony CDRW
Creative 52x CD
Soundblaster Live
Old 4th June, 2002, 08:55 PM

Quote:
thats sounds like a good setup

what kinda hoses and clamps are u goin to use?

what kinda fan on your rad?
I'm going to use some old 120mm fan that Spyder gave me. It's powerful and quite. I'm going to be getting a Enermax clear/blue 120mm fan soon, though.

I don't know what hose and clamps I will be using. Prob what ever I can find localy.
Old 5th June, 2002, 01:21 AM

w00t In about 5 minutes, I will be ordering the following:
DTek Radiator ($30)
DTek Spiral WB ($40)
VIA Aqua 1300 370GPH ($24)

The shipping for the DTek order is about $7 and it's basicly overnight, because it Cal, and I'm in Oregon The shipping from the other site is 2nd day, and will be more like $10, because it's across the USA

All-in-all, I will be having a nice watercooling setup by this time next week. Ahh, I can almost hear the scilenc of my watercooling system now. Oh, wait, that’s my 55CFM 45dBA 80mm fan. My bad
Old 5th June, 2002, 01:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Do you have a fan for that radiator?????????
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 5th June, 2002, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Spyder
Do you have a fan for that radiator?????????
Spyder
Yes, thanks to you I have one of your old 120mm's. It's not totally quite (Like a Panaflow) but it will work until I buy the Enermax fan (Once I have some more money )