AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th June, 2002, 12:09 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

I’m planning on making a two piece. View my design above. I think it will work decently, but I did make a few mistakes – wrong channel size, and maybe wrong channel start/finish also. I’ll keep you posted on the progress.

How hard is it to make with a good drill press?
Old 8th June, 2002, 01:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

You almost nearly have to have a CNC machine- we can use it to make one-
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah

Last edited by The Spyder; 8th June, 2002 at 04:53 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th June, 2002, 04:20 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

The battle continues......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th June, 2002, 04:50 AM

The battle has ended- and will not restart- remember folks i have to live with him less then 20min away and at school- but he has the same problem :-D
Spyder
AOA Team fah
Old 8th June, 2002, 05:41 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Quote:
Originally posted by The Spyder
The battle has ended- and will not restart- remember folks i have to live with him less then 20min away and at school- but he has the same problem :-D
Spyder
Yes.

We are going to start work on the GeForce4Ti blocks tomorrow, hopefuly
Old 8th June, 2002, 07:19 AM

A truce at last. I could tell you two were close. Only TRUE friends can fight like that and then turn out some killer mod together.

I can't wait to see the outcome.
Old 8th June, 2002, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Samuknow
A truce at last. I could tell you two were close. Only TRUE friends can fight like that and then turn out some killer mod together.

I can't wait to see the outcome.
It's going to be killer... I think we are going to convert my side panel in to a window also (With out the lexan, because I haven’t had time to pick any up)... Should be kewl one way or another CHUG!

(Am I spelling lexan correctly?)
Old 8th June, 2002, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SiGmA_X

How hard is it to make with a good drill press?

You do not need the best equipment to make good blocks, it's basically what my site is all about, just time, dedication and a little perseverance.

To make the VGA blocks I used a 40 year old mini lathe bed, (with no motor), as an X-Y table, (cost £20 6 years ago), and a very poor quality pillar drill £15 second hand, (with a pretty knackered chuck).

Zero Fan Zone
Attached Thumbnails
Gf4 Waterblocks-milldrillsmall.jpg  
Old 8th June, 2002, 10:28 AM

Can you explain what equipment I will need to mill a water block, please? Thank you in advance! :beer:
Old 8th June, 2002, 10:47 AM

And while we are at it, how did you get the GeForce cooler to stay on the card?
Old 8th June, 2002, 11:45 AM

SiGmA_X

Most of it is explained fully in the articles, do yourself a favour and read through them as I don't want to "spam" the forums just repeating it all .

Tools you'll need to make a block depends on your design etc, but if you stick with copper it can be soldered. How to do it is explained in most of the block builds, the HDD build for instance......

The blocks on the graphics card are retained with screws, no glue! more about it HERE The cooling solution for the Gainward 750XP will also be attached without glue and the card not modified at all, (other than removing the Ram and GPU sinks)
Old 8th June, 2002, 11:47 AM

I have read every page on that site. I have some more questions though.

What is your AIM SN or ICQ Number? It would be easier to talk on there. Please either post your info, or just message me. Thank you.
Old 8th June, 2002, 06:10 PM

Glad to see you one the forums Bladerunner! Sigma..... i think your drinking too much! I think a full drill press would work great!
Spyder
AOA Team fah
Old 8th June, 2002, 06:14 PM

How about this one
Grandpa was a cabinate maker until stroke-
Spyder
Attached Images

AOA Team fah
Old 8th June, 2002, 10:30 PM

We have a Drill press similar to that one in the image at work but a drill press alone is not easy to use. You have to drill a hole then reposition again, and drill another, you wont be able to mill with it. You ideally need a milling machine, or a drill press with an X-Y table. True dedicated milling machines are very expensive because of the quality required in the chuck bearings and the quality of the X-Y table. I doubt anyone would go out and buy a milling machine to make home made blocks, worthwhile ones start at around £800, but the basic mill combo I've created works even though direct side milling is not possible with it. I can however drill holes to a preset depth and "mill join" them together, not easy but possible with care and once you learn what you can and can't get away with.
Old 8th June, 2002, 11:06 PM

Opps- forgot to say that i have an X-Y table for my grandpas-
Spyder
AOA Team fah
Old 9th June, 2002, 12:16 AM

We do have a mill at work. Spyder, shoot me a drawing and let me see what I can come up with...

I will make one for me also......hehe
Old 9th June, 2002, 02:11 AM

Damn Finals! My dad won't let me go to Spyder'z to day, so we can't start MODing my case!

But I guess it doesn't make too much of a difference because I don't have the water block (Monday!) or radiator (Monday!) or pump (Wednesday ) yet, but I was hoping to make the Rheobus and put in the 120mm fan, and cut the door...

So, instead of that, I'm going to find a place in Portland to sell me Lexan and copper, so we can have it all ready once school is out (Thursday!). Edit: And also remove the top of the case and tape it, and then vibrate-proof it so it won't make as much noise.

I hope we can go to Spyder'z house on Thursday and use his shop and install my water cooler
Old 9th June, 2002, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BladeRunner
We have a Drill press similar to that one in the image at work but a drill press alone is not easy to use. You have to drill a hole then reposition again, and drill another, you wont be able to mill with it. You ideally need a milling machine, or a drill press with an X-Y table. True dedicated milling machines are very expensive because of the quality required in the chuck bearings and the quality of the X-Y table. I doubt anyone would go out and buy a milling machine to make home made blocks, worthwhile ones start at around £800, but the basic mill combo I've created works even though direct side milling is not possible with it. I can however drill holes to a preset depth and "mill join" them together, not easy but possible with care and once you learn what you can and can't get away with.
That milling holes and connecting them method was how I made my block. Its a very time consuming method that gave reasonable results but i certainly wouldt want to do it that way again.

If your going to be making a waterblock you need to use the right tooling, that dosent mean that you have to spend allot. But you do have to know what to buy to get the best from what you have.

Im in the middle of helping my grandfather refurb a large milling machine that once completed will make it relatively easy to manufacture slotted waterblocks.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.