AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th June, 2002, 10:42 AM

Watercooling, 2 RADS???

In a watercooling setup, will it help a lot if you have 2 radiators instead of 1???

If you have 2 radiators, is it necessary to have a strong pump???

Old 6th June, 2002, 12:29 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

in serial the second rad will not be too effective, but using them in parrallel you will get a lot better performance, 1, you are doubling the surface area exposed to the air. 2, you are halving the flow rate through both radiators so the water has more time to cool, and 3 you are actually reducing resistance to flow!!! so flow rate through the block will increase!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th June, 2002, 12:53 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
in serial the second rad will not be too effective, but using them in parrallel you will get a lot better performance, 1, you are doubling the surface area exposed to the air. 2, you are halving the flow rate through both radiators so the water has more time to cool, and 3 you are actually reducing resistance to flow!!! so flow rate through the block will increase!
Um, not really. You will see a performance gain, but it won't be a case of "2 rads are twice as effective". You might see a degree or two come off your steady state temperature - which might be your target, I guess.

1) Although you are doubling the surface area, you are also hindering the ability of the water to transfer heat to the metal because of 2)

2) By halving the water flow rate, you're at risk of creating streamline flow through the radiator rather than turbulent flow. Streamline's the goal of aeroplanes and the nemesis of heat exchangers. If the flow pattern dips into streamline, you'll need the water to remain in the radiator for up to 10 times longer to get the same result.

3) True for the radiators, but it'll make no difference to the flow rate through the waterblock. A 1gal/min pump will pump 1 gal/min and no more than 1 gal/min, and be limited by the part of the system with the most resistance to flow. In all cases, this is the waterblock. You won't see any real improvement in flow rate through the block as a result.

Where having 2 radiators in parallel is most effective is when each radiator has 1/4 the tube diameter of the single whole radiator. Then you do get near the "two rads give twice the performance" mark. Merely duplicating a big radiator is pointless.

Oh, and forget radiators in series
Old 6th June, 2002, 01:04 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Show off! :-D

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th June, 2002, 01:06 PM

Well, I have to make the degree count for something
Old 6th June, 2002, 01:09 PM

Thanks guys!!

But wait a minute.....whats da diff bet serial and parallel setups???
Old 6th June, 2002, 01:16 PM

Serial: You have two radiators. The outlet of one radiator connects to the inlet of the second radiator. That way the second radiator is taking partially cooled water, and trying to cool it more. Not very effective for this application.

From block-----------Radiator---------------Radiator--------To pump

Parallel: You have two radiators, set up to share a common inlet and a common outlet. More effective than serial.

Code:
                           -----Radiator-----
                           |                |
          From Block-------                  ----------To Pump
                           |                |
                           -----Radiator-----

Last edited by Kaitain; 6th June, 2002 at 01:20 PM.
Old 6th June, 2002, 01:20 PM

Oh I see

Thanks
Old 6th June, 2002, 01:23 PM

So who should I believe???

Random Nonsense or Kaitain??? heheheheheheh

Jst kidding!!!! :-D

I really appreciate the short lesson guys.
Old 6th June, 2002, 01:39 PM

We basically said same things, kaitain is just a little pedantic :nervous:, if your pump is up to it, 2 in parrallel is better.

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 6th June, 2002, 01:50 PM

Quote:
kaitain is just a little pedantic
Be afraid! Be very afraid, chicken boy

Old 6th June, 2002, 03:05 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

And I would say that if you're using a cpu block and a gpu block, series rads == win

pump>rad>cpu>rad>gpu>res

Old 6th June, 2002, 03:12 PM

Quote:
And I would say that if you're using a cpu block and a gpu block, series rads == win
Why?

I know twin loop/multi pass systems are harder to monitor and assemble, but they will produce vastly better results than single pass setups, guaranteed!
Old 6th June, 2002, 06:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

One way I have heard of using multiple radiators, is to have a good radiator with a good pump on the water blocks, and the other radiators and pumps just cooling the reservoir. So the order of pumps would be the following:
Reservoir 1 -> Pump 1 -> Radiator 1 -> Water block 1 -> Reservoir 1
Reservoir 1 -> Pump 2 - > Radiator 2 -> Reservoir 1

That will increase the cooling, by having colder water.
Old 7th June, 2002, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
We basically said same things, kaitain is just a little pedantic :nervous:, if your pump is up to it, 2 in parrallel is better.
I know I know!!

I was just fooling around
Old 18th June, 2002, 05:18 AM

actually the first 2 are kinda rite.. but 2 rads will do nothing for a small cpu, 2 rads will do a LOT for a cpu like mine that puts out 134watts overclocked, or with a pelt setup it would be nice, basicly 2 rads dont double your performance, but it kinda doubles your cooling capasity, lets say one rad can cool 100watts down to ambient, then you take and add those extra 34watts, that brings you up to 5c above ambient, then stick the second in parallel, and your back down.. till you add like 46more watts....
Old 19th June, 2002, 01:08 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Ok now you have my attention.

I was planning on building a computer inside of a coffee table (don't ask) around chistmas. I was tinkering with the idea of useing the swifttec water block with the 226watt peltier built in. I was thinking:

Pump> CPU> Rad1> GPU> Northbridge> Rad2> Resivoir> Pump.

any sugestions on a better way?
Please don't say 2 pumps.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 19th June, 2002, 01:18 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

That will actually be very effective because you are removing heat after each time you add heat.
Old 19th June, 2002, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Staz
Ok now you have my attention.

I was planning on building a computer inside of a coffee table (don't ask) around chistmas. I was tinkering with the idea of useing the swifttec water block with the 226watt peltier built in. I was thinking:

Pump> CPU> Rad1> GPU> Northbridge> Rad2> Resivoir> Pump.

any sugestions on a better way?
Please don't say 2 pumps.
I wouldnt want to run it that way.

Your much better off with two loops the northbridge and GPU blocks will be too restrictive of flow, and you need flow when running a 220watt pelt putting out 400watts of heat (inc CPU and approx) You will also need a good radiator as if you run your water too hot then your northbridge and GPU will be running hotter than on air cooling.

Ill draw you a pic. (warning extremely bad pic alert)
Attached Thumbnails
Watercooling, 2 RADS???-waterdia1.jpg  

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 19th June, 2002, 10:23 AM

Why not go 3 pass?

Code:
         -------CPU------
         |              |
From Pump-------GPU-------To Rad
         |              |
         -------N/B------