AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th June, 2002, 07:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Monkeyboy

Temp changes?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums, and ahve only 1 other thread, but I tried overclocking my FSB today from 133-135 and it hit up my temp 10 degrees! Any ideas? I went back down and I'm still up 5-6 degrees...hrmm! Im only running a 5000rpm fan..but still.
Old 8th June, 2002, 08:18 PM

Hey welcome to the forums!!

It would be easier for all of us to help you if you would list your system specs down first.....

What kind of Heatsink and Fan do you have???

What kind of processor do you have???
Old 8th June, 2002, 08:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

What system do you have?
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th June, 2002, 09:39 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Here's his other thread about this:

New user looking for Guru advice!

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th June, 2002, 09:52 PM

WOW thats weird........ my pIII 1gig only goes up to 33c from 30c when i oc to 1.175 and thats folding while running a cs server!
AOA Team fah
Old 9th June, 2002, 05:14 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I found that the temperature difference between idle and leaning on the CPU hard was dramatic with the PIIIE's that I had. Bumping the FSB to 124 Mhz didn't bother the processor's much, but bumping the FSB to 133 Mhz poured on the heat. Adding the strain of gaming to the mix just made the processor's too hot for comfort.

I destroyed a PIIIE 550 by running it at 52C, and this was briefly. MBM informed me that 52C was the magic number, and I stopped whatever was stwaining the poor liddle pwocessor right quick. Six brief excursions to 52C made the ungrateful hunk of EXPENSIVE glass die a long slow death, with 500 wonderful spontaneous reboots along the way.

Do I have an attitude about Intel? Well, I still have a Celeron 366 that runs at 550 Mhz at default core voltage all day all night Mary Ann. It awaits emergency duty, and I hope it will remain in the ready reserves. Recalling it to active duty would be a shame in this modren world.

If you want to OC your PIIIE, don't pour on the gasoline at all. NOT before you acquire a monstro heatsink/fan, and make sure that you have at least 50 cfm flowing through the case. Then proceed in small steps. Simply stepping on the accelerator, without seeing to it that the engine, brakes and tranny can handle it is imprudent.
Old 9th June, 2002, 05:42 AM

Hes running folding- check his other thread-
Spyder
AOA Team fah
Old 9th June, 2002, 05:59 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

My guess is you are running stock cooling, or an otherwise 'economy' Heatsink. P3's don't typically run very hot, so even a cheap HSF will cool fine nonoverclocked and non stressed. Running folding@home and even a small overclock is probably pushing the HSF over the limit. Good case ventilation will definitely help make the job easier for the HSF. Get cool air into the case. I would suggest a better HSF, but it will cost 20-30 bucks.

BTW... if you are concerned about temps, turn off F@H... It will use 100% of CPU cycles, and it will basically run just as hot when you walk away.

Good luck.
Old 9th June, 2002, 06:18 AM

thanks guys, i just realized that yes, I have 2 chassis fan spots in my case, BUT, the only problem is that I only have one CHA_FAN spot in my mobo..arg, so i should put a fan in the front and let it go thorugh the vent in the back, plus puttin another non-stock fan on my cpu?
Old 9th June, 2002, 11:23 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

you can plug the fans into the PSU Molex connectors (thats what most of us do anyway)

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 9th June, 2002, 03:39 PM

where abouts would that be on my mobo?
Old 9th June, 2002, 04:11 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by Monkeyboy
where abouts would that be on my mobo?
The PSU Molex connectors come out of the Power Supply. They have 4 prongs within them and plug into your hard drive(s) and CD-ROM drive(s). If you have any extra, you can get a 4-pin fan and plug it into one of these Molex connectors. Take a look inside your case and look for the rectangular (actually trapizoidal, to be specific) white things that plug into your hard drive and have 4 circular metal prongs within them.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 9th June, 2002, 05:14 PM

OH!!! Lol, so when I buy my exaust and my intake fans, I should be specific to how many pins I want? E.g. 2 pins would go directly to mobo, where as 4 pin goes to molex?
Old 9th June, 2002, 05:50 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

motherboard ones are 3 pin usually. The larger fans usually come in the 4 pin variety as the motherboard headers cannot supply the kind of current necessary to operate them.

Specify the size your would like, and the number of pins, in this case 4 pin and i expect 80mm (that is the most common size for case intake and exhaust) but measure to be sure.

The best way to have the fans orientated is to have the front fan blowing into the case, and the rear one out, since the rear one sucks hot air away from the CPU area!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 9th June, 2002, 07:10 PM

yeah, In my other topic, cloasters told me about this! thanks alot guys, the only problem is i think that my front is only 60mm, I wouldnt want a larger exaust than intake! or would I.....??
Old 11th June, 2002, 01:54 PM

Well, its VERY rare to have a 60mm intake, often the exhaust is a 60, but almost never a 60!!! just measure it if you dont have a metric ruler, its about 25mm per inch.

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 11th June, 2002, 02:48 PM

well my intake is the same size as my exaust..lol, the mounting brackets are the same size!
Old 11th June, 2002, 03:45 PM

60mm is the size on your heatsink i expect, are they both that size?

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 11th June, 2002, 08:52 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

If the two pre-punched mounting points for case fans are for 60mm fans, at least this makes every fan in the case uniform.

Ack! What an insult. Why? Because 60mm Delta 38's or ~40's are required for moving a volume of air through the the case that's adequate for a non-OC'd PIIIE. IMHO, of course. Subtracting the throughput stolen by the cute, not, pattern of holes that manufacturer's love to block airflow at fan mount points with, the Screamer's annoy you for a measly ~20 cfm of case throughput!

The serenade of 3(one on the CPU's HS, too), count 'em, three Delta Screamer's can be withstood by only the brave. Or crazy, but I'll leave that one alone!

Weyell, the easiest way to have good throughput in this kind of situation is to remove the left hand case cover and point a house fan at the interior.

If there are small children or pets with too much curiosity in your home, this method isn't safe. And it packs dust into the box, too.

Improving conventional cooling will require cutting the case. A new ball of wax, to be sure.
Old 12th June, 2002, 12:59 AM

ya, umm they are both 80mm mounting brackets in my comp...lol ive got a 5400 rpm in the front now, and putting 2 80mm over top of eachother in the back for exaust.