AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th June, 2002, 02:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to Monkeyboy

yeah, that site www.canadacomputers.com is up again, so if you guys could click it up and find the best hs+fan set up for my pIII I would be forever in your debt...even though I already am.
Old 13th June, 2002, 03:36 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Here's the website for the millenium glaciator2. They sell direct and are located in connecticutt:

http://millennium-thermal.com/

I know they are trying to sell through resellers as well but only a few carry them. I checked your link, and they don't have a lot to pick from. Do you have any other resellers that you can pick from?
The Alpha's they have are ancient by HSF standards, but are still considered good performers. The downside is they don't come with fans, and there are no fans at the site I would recommend.
Old 13th June, 2002, 03:39 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by robbie
El Wise one Stevie speaks. Ye should trust-uth thou knowledge he has bistoed apon ye.

HAHAH As you can tell, SteveI is well known in the forums for his knowledge.

I hope you have found a good HS at a good price.
Rob
Thanks robbie, the check's in the mail.

But seriously, I just have a big mouth that's hard to ignore. :P
There are tons of guys who know more, and have more hands on experience. I'm just careful who I listen to..
Old 13th June, 2002, 08:34 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Bang for buck is probably the GlobalWin FOP-38. I can't remember if you wish to OC your PIIIE(?). If so, I'd personally get a *Delta Screamer TM, Marca Registrada with it. Canadacomputers doesn't say what fan comes with it. ~27 cfm might be OK, but not on my PIIIE.

It's best to use a stubby common(flat blade) screwdriver while installing the FOP-38. It installs mighty easily with a stubby.

*Delta 38 cfm 60mm fan.
Old 14th June, 2002, 04:14 AM

yeah, thats what somone else told me too, so ill hook myself up with that as well as my 2 80mm in the back for exaust and the 2 in the sides 80mm for cross wind.
Old 14th June, 2002, 05:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
Bang for buck is probably the GlobalWin FOP-38. I can't remember if you wish to OC your PIIIE(?). If so, I'd personally get a *Delta Screamer TM, Marca Registrada with it. Canadacomputers doesn't say what fan comes with it. ~27 cfm might be OK, but not on my PIIIE.

It's best to use a stubby common(flat blade) screwdriver while installing the FOP-38. It installs mighty easily with a stubby.

*Delta 38 cfm 60mm fan.
I have one i gave to my bro- keeps it at 100f constant on his 1gig! He loves it and i just split the voltage to 7 on the screamer- try and get one?
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th June, 2002, 12:00 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

The FOB38 comes with the 7000 rpm screamer. The same HS is also available as FOB32, which comes with the quieter fan.

I have a similar unit from Globalwin, the WBK38... same deal. I actually heard the delta fan for myself the first time... couldn't stand it, so I bought a quiet fan and replaced it myself, 28cfm, 32 dba. Very nice trade off. It keeps my duron@1.375 16c over ambient.

If you are considering the FOB38, look for the FOB32 or WBK68 first. These are the "quiet" models of the same heatsinks. This will save you the work of splicing wires or replacing fans later.
Old 14th June, 2002, 06:29 PM

so I should pick up a global win FO38?
Old 14th June, 2002, 09:20 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

As usual, SteveI makes a valid point about noise. Perhaps I worry too much about processor temperatures. Ever since I moidered a PIIIE 550 with a few brief excursions to 52C, I try to err on the side of overkill with cooling.

The GW FOP-38 comes with a 38 cfm Delta 60mm fan. However, canadacomputers.com lists no fan with the FOP-38 they offer. As the FOP-38 is quite inexpensive, it's possible that it comes fanless. I would make sure before ordering it.

After two years of enjoying the serenade of Delta 38's, I no longer am bothered by their whine. Nevertheless, they are very annoying when they are new to a person--especially when heard for the first time.

Good old money is a factor. The majority of 60mm HS's need a Delta 38 to perform at their best. Micro-finned heatsinks are the noisiest. The FOP-38 does not have micro-fins, btw.
Old 14th June, 2002, 09:58 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I just took another look. While the WBK38 is not as popular, I believe it is a better choice. It was meant to be the replacement for the very popular FOP series that had been around awhile. While I can't find the review over at oc.com, I do recall reading that the WBK was an upgrade in performance from the FOP series. As a result, I bought the WBK myself. It is a bit larger, and the delta performed great, just too damn loud.

If you are willing to risk the noise, the WBK38 is a good call for the money. Just be prepared to work at reducing the noise.
Old 15th June, 2002, 03:40 PM

well, at the moment I am using an 80mm case fan, and its pretty loud because my mounting bracket has a small hole in it where it isnt suposed to be. As a result, i am faced with a wierd sound that can become quite high pitched...I'll just hook up a delta in the store, and if it's too loud, so be it.
thanks again guys!
Old 15th June, 2002, 11:58 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

If you don't know how to use(or cut the case and fabricate) air ducts that run from the outside of the case to the "trouble spots," like the CPU and GPU, you're pretty much stuck with the brute force method of conventional cooling. Which means noise.

In the future, you may decide that listening to the sweet, NOT song of the Delta Screamer is too much to bear. Then learning the finer points of air cooling becomes quite interesting.
Old 16th June, 2002, 04:44 PM

Oh, I'm quite the capable dremel user I would imagine..I'll just put some 80mm around the case..