AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th June, 2002, 02:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to Monkeyboy

Heat sink Questions

whats the best sink for a PIII 1.0ghz in a moderate price range?

thanks!
Old 10th June, 2002, 03:05 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

A ThermalRight.
Old 10th June, 2002, 05:08 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

There are a zillion 60mm heatsink/fan units. The best almost invariably work well because a Delta 38 60mm fan is part of the package. Offhand, I think it's a good idea to avoid big HS's that use 80mm fans. They are the best, but this is a PIIIE, not a K7.

www.dansdata.com has reviews of many HSF's. www.overclockers.com has a nice and accurate list of HSF reviews. I personally like Vantec's CCK-6035D. Reasonable price, good performance. But, there are a hundred others that work as well.
Old 10th June, 2002, 03:18 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Trust me on this one... Stay away from anything reviews label as loud or even moderate noise levels. Keep in mind that most HSF reviews are geared toward the overclockers, and the balance of performance to acceptable noise levels can be inhuman!!.

7000 & 8000 rpm fans are awesome performers but are unbearable. Go with a quiet solution. I label my millenium glaciator as barely tolerable for noise level, but with excellent cooling. (I don't know if they work on intels tho.)
Old 10th June, 2002, 10:10 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The Millennium Glaciator works fine on PPGA Celeron's. Never such cool temps has my olde C366 seen!

I seriously doubt that the Glaciator(1) has a problem with C2's and PIIIE's.
Old 11th June, 2002, 12:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

For the price- the millenium glaciator-
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th June, 2002, 12:10 PM

thanks, I thinik im going to go with the volcano 7...it seems decent and cheaper.
Old 12th June, 2002, 03:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO- i have one and the TEMP are HORRID and its LOUD and a CORE CRACKER!!!!!!!!
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th June, 2002, 03:50 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Quote:
Originally posted by Monkeyboy
thanks, I thinik im going to go with the volcano 7...it seems decent and cheaper.
They suck. I have one.
Old 12th June, 2002, 12:17 PM

then what should i buy from here?

www.canadacompters.com
Old 12th June, 2002, 03:17 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Link is down my friend. But if they have an AX-7 get that. Everyone seems to be raving about it.

Maybe it's time for me to get one.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 12th June, 2002, 03:40 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

The original glaciator is sold out. The newer G2 is now only $30

http://www.millennium-thermal.com/start.htm

Since you are looking for low cost, the AX-7 is not for you. The lowest price I've seen is 25 without a fan. With a decent fan + shipping, you are looking at $35-40.

If I might ask, what is the price range you are considering? Almost anything would be an improvement to the stock cooler. I guess the real question is "how much better" makes it worth the trouble in the first place.
Old 12th June, 2002, 06:52 PM

well, for a cpu fan, I can go to about $50 canadian, whicih is about 35 american.
Old 12th June, 2002, 07:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to chazz469 Send a message via AIM to chazz469 Send a message via Yahoo to chazz469

Cooper water block! :-D

And right now I'm in Heaven!!!

AMD XP1600+ @ 1754MHz >> and gradually working my way up!!!
MSI KT3 Ultra ARU
GF2 MX400 (200/334) @ 233/366
2x 20GB Maxtor RAID 0
1x 30GB Maxtor --> WinXP
Old 12th June, 2002, 08:37 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Monkeyboy
well, for a cpu fan, I can go to about $50 canadian, whicih is about 35 american.
That's actually a lot more than I thought you'd say. You are right on the edge to go with the glaciator2 or even an AX7 with a cheap fan. Both will drop your temps significantly, keep the noise level bearable, and also be excellent coolers for AMD socket A's, should you choose that path.

The direct result will be cooler CPU temps.. However, I am not sure how much it will improve your overclock potential, with a P3. To that, I defer to the Intel experts.
Old 13th June, 2002, 12:00 AM

heh, I'm a guy who says "Go big or go home". hehe, Its snowboarding talk...but you can understand what it means. actually, it's probably in alot of other stuff, but the point is, if your going to do something, do it right. yeah, who ameks the ax 7? thermal take?
Old 13th June, 2002, 12:45 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The AX-7 is made by Thermalright. I urge you to avoid the AX-7, only because it's a very large HS that needs a good deal of clear "real estate" around the Socket 370. If you can confirm that your mainboard does have enough space before buying it, by all means, go with the AX-7!
Old 13th June, 2002, 05:40 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

El Wise one Stevie speaks. Ye should trust-uth thou knowledge he has bistoed apon ye.

HAHAH As you can tell, SteveI is well known in the forums for his knowledge.

I hope you have found a good HS at a good price.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 13th June, 2002, 01:29 PM
Member/Contributer

The Glaciator does indeed work well with a FCPGA PIII! I use it - and like it! If you give the fan 7 volts instead of 12 it won't perform as well, but it will for sure be a lot quieter...
Old 13th June, 2002, 02:24 PM

who makes the glaciator?