AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th September, 2001, 06:36 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by Spyder462
Broke Down and bought a Maze 2 and ehime 1240 and low pressue drop rad.

Spyder
Did you get it yet, or is it still in route, or haven't you installed it?

If you got it what are your results? I'd like to here ambient temp, CPU temp, CPU temp retrieval method, CPU speed, and CPU voltage. Don't mean to sound picky, but those are the relevant facts . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th September, 2001, 05:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sfa ok Send a message via AIM to sfa ok

I'm also planning to design and make my own waterblock. I'm going to start with some experimentation with direct die cooling, to see if I can improve on Sunny D bottles at all. Then I'll move on to copper designs. I'll probably end up with lots of left over test designs, if I have an extra one that works well, Phiber can have it at the cost of the copper. I'm also interested in directly cooling a TEC, but I'll save doing that for later, once I have more experience.
Old 26th September, 2001, 01:25 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

hurry peoples i already got an Ehiem waterpump
do u know if this pump is submersible i have the 158GPH version
XP 1800+
[color]

Last edited by Phiber; 26th September, 2001 at 01:34 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th September, 2001, 01:45 AM

I won't have any blocks done for at least a month, I won't have any extras for about a month and a half.
Old 26th September, 2001, 06:42 AM
AOA Staff

I think most of the copper blocks on the market are pushing the limits of the coppers ability to move the heat, Im not saying there arent better designs, but I'm not sure we will se alot lower C/W's with copper blocks than we are now
Old 26th September, 2001, 06:55 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by surlyjoe
I think most of the copper blocks on the market are pushing the limits of the coppers ability to move the heat, Im not saying there arent better designs, but I'm not sure we will se alot lower C/W's with copper blocks than we are now
I don't think it's the coppers fault. I think the problem lies with insufficient mounting preassure, and thermal junctions not being flat or smooth enough. With the kind of wattage CPUs are cranking out nowadays 20LBs of preassure just isn't enough. Realistically we need 50LBs. Problem is the flipchips just won't live with that, they will crush instantly with more than 30LBs. There is hope with the s478 P4s though, I've got a hunch they can live with 40 or so pounds.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 26th September, 2001, 07:06 AM
AOA Staff

as soon as I get done with my phase change chiller experiments I've got some high dollar low temp thermal solder I'm gonna try and solder a block directly to the core to try and prove this theory, I'll let ya know how it turns out
Old 6th October, 2001, 09:48 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Jeff, im DEFINATELY interested, i came up with a pretty good design a while back, sounds like your idea is better!!! I was thinking , if any of us lot come up with more ideas like this, we could actually sell AOA products...... not sure how we would go about this..... could just do it to raise the sites profile, and the individual who has come up with the idea gets the money..... or maybe form a new company to sell this stuff....

anyway, i'll get thinking on this.... jeff i know a machineist if this takes off i can probably get him to make some of the blocks over here, cut down on shipping costs nicely
Old 7th October, 2001, 12:03 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

Quote:
Originally posted by surlyjoe
as soon as I get done with my phase change chiller experiments I've got some high dollar low temp thermal solder I'm gonna try and solder a block directly to the core to try and prove this theory, I'll let ya know how it turns out
how would u do that??
Old 7th October, 2001, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
Jeff, im DEFINATELY interested, i came up with a pretty good design a while back, sounds like your idea is better!!! I was thinking , if any of us lot come up with more ideas like this, we could actually sell AOA products...... not sure how we would go about this..... could just do it to raise the sites profile, and the individual who has come up with the idea gets the money..... or maybe form a new company to sell this stuff....

anyway, i'll get thinking on this.... jeff i know a machineist if this takes off i can probably get him to make some of the blocks over here, cut down on shipping costs nicely
....as long as someone sends me a copy of the toolpath.