AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th June, 2002, 05:12 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Water Cooler is DONE

I just finished the watercooler, with Spyders help (Majorly!).

Thank you to everyone on AOA who helped with ideas, and a major thankyou to Spyder.

Images will be up later.
Old 14th June, 2002, 08:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to Intrepid6546

congrats. I wasn't able to order my case because we got distracted with a movie adn my dad wont be back until saturday, he is on a buisnes trip.

-shaun

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th June, 2002, 12:54 PM
Member/Contributer

Can't wait for the pics!!
Old 14th June, 2002, 04:11 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Re: Water Cooler is DONE

Quote:
Originally posted by SiGmA_X
I just finished the watercooler, with Spyders help (Majorly!).

Thank you to everyone on AOA who helped with ideas, and a major thankyou to Spyder.

Images will be up later.
What a tease.

It's done but we can't see it. Well I look forward to seeing it..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th June, 2002, 05:38 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Can't see it becuase its a mess and my cam is giving fuzzy pics. I'll upload some when I get home.

Why is my temp at about 49C at load, and 42C idle? The 120mm is at 7v, so that also might be part of the problem... ?
Old 14th June, 2002, 09:07 PM

Send a message via ICQ to chazz469 Send a message via AIM to chazz469 Send a message via Yahoo to chazz469

Quote:
Why is my temp at about 49C at load, and 42C idle? The 120mm is at 7v, so that also might be part of the problem... ?
Could be the voltage/fan speed. What's on your rig? I'm having a similar problem. Using the MAZE3 proc temp is about 10-12°C above ambient. Should be cooler.

Can't wait for the pics!

And right now I'm in Heaven!!!

AMD XP1600+ @ 1754MHz >> and gradually working my way up!!!
MSI KT3 Ultra ARU
GF2 MX400 (200/334) @ 233/366
2x 20GB Maxtor RAID 0
1x 30GB Maxtor --> WinXP
Old 15th June, 2002, 02:08 AM

Nope. It was that when I was switching the fan from 12v to 7v, I didnt replug all the cables Now its back to a nice cool 45C at full load (7v). Ir drops to 42C under full load if I just set the fan to 12v...
Old 15th June, 2002, 02:09 AM

The stuff is as follows:
Soyo Dragon +
XP1600+
512MB DDR266 PC-2100

Gemini Cool Spir@l WB
Basic DTek radiator
VIA Aqua 1300 pump (370GPH)
120mm fan @ about 120cfm(12v)/126cfm(7v)
Old 15th June, 2002, 03:51 AM

Quote:
120mm fan @ about 120cfm(12v)/126cfm(7v)
???? more at less volts????
Old 15th June, 2002, 06:26 AM

No. I ment like 60cfm @ 7v...

Here's all the pics I have from making the cooler. Sorry, but I wasn't making a review

http://fusiongamez.com/~sigma_x/cooling/lianli_1.gif
http://fusiongamez.com/~sigma_x/cooling/lianli_2.gif
http://fusiongamez.com/~sigma_x/cooling/lianli_3.gif
http://fusiongamez.com/~sigma_x/cooling/lianli_4.gif
http://fusiongamez.com/~sigma_x/cooling/lianli_5.gif
http://fusiongamez.com/~sigma_x/cooling/lianli_6.gif
http://fusiongamez.com/~sigma_x/cooling/lianli_7.gif
http://fusiongamez.com/~sigma_x/cooling/lianli_8.gif
http://fusiongamez.com/~sigma_x/cooling/lianli_9.gif
Old 15th June, 2002, 04:21 PM

Sweet setup.

I am still trying to convince mysely to do that. I still have that old theory of water+electronics=dead stuff.

I still have that chiller with the pump and my try that. Might get the water too cold though. The 2 amazing positives of water. QUIET and lower temps.

Great job Sigma
Old 15th June, 2002, 06:21 PM

Thanks. I want to thank Spyder right now before he gets on my @55 about it. He helped me with modding the case (I wish we all had shops like his!) and setting up the watercooler.

The worst thing is that the pump viberates, but I am going to put it in a Tuppperware containor today, and seal the holes in the top. That should stop it.
Old 15th June, 2002, 07:56 PM

Very nice.

My pump vibrates a bit too.

It is much quieter when submerged (flow is better too) and I put mine on some bobble wrap and that made it silent.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 15th June, 2002, 08:49 PM

How is it sitting in your case? I mean is it mounted or just sittin there? You should mount it some how with rubber mounts. Even using a cut up mouse pad under it will help. It will also eat up some of the noise.
Old 15th June, 2002, 09:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to Monkeyboy

wow, what are rads used for?
Old 18th June, 2002, 04:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Rad= Radiators, they Disipate the heat put out and retracted from the waterblocks
SPyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 18th June, 2002, 04:56 AM

that heatercore looks just like mine! 89camaro

the problem with the temps is the fan placement... you need a duct to use the whole space on the rad... and if possible have the fan sucking thru the heatercore.. better results.. and have it suck fresh air...
Old 18th June, 2002, 05:36 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Hey maskedgeek, I remember your avatar from OC.com Good to PULL err I mean have you here.
So have you checked out our FOLDING section yet?
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 18th June, 2002, 05:38 AM

nope but im heading over there rite now, oc.com has been down for like the last 6hrs for some unknown reason....
Old 24th June, 2002, 04:28 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

I'm using a Maze3 on my XP1800 @ 144fsb / 1.8 vcore / 2.7 vdimm and my cpu temp is only 2-3 degrees C above system. But, I also have my radiator mounted in a separate external box, with the pump and an a/c fan.

I'm running around 35 - 36 C CPU under normal load. room temp is about 27 C.

I live in the southwest US, it's extremely hot and dry at the moment, has been for the last two or three weeks, so I have the side cover off and a nice little 20" box fan blowing over the rad and the inside of the case. When I turn on the big fan, the system temp drops to around room temp. There's a bit of heat in that thing, but it's still quieter than all the fans I had when it was air cooled. Without the box fan, my system temp reads about 2-3 C below the CPU temp. All of this is according to the bios / MBM readings.

I was skeptical of water cooling, too, Samuknow, that's why I did the external radiator/pump, to eliminate the most sources of possible leaks. The added benefit is that it leaves all my room in the main case, it's cooler than having it all self contained. The downside is, it's not very portable, so if you're one who has to move a lot, I wouldn't suggest my setup.

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow

Last edited by Orbit; 24th June, 2002 at 05:48 PM.