AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th October, 2001, 04:40 PM

Lightbulb AMD Cooling

Hi all! My AMD 1.4GHz has an iddle temperature of 50-55 C and has a maximum of 65 C after playing half an hour NFS 5. Is this normal? I changed my Coolermaster with a Thermal Take Super Orb but the temperature hasn't changed a lot... I'm almost sure the airflow isn't quite good in the case, does it matter a lot?
More things I can do?
Old 16th October, 2001, 05:10 PM

Those are really high temps The SOrb is really no good. You need to find a better HSF & when you start to work on the airflow of your case make sure the intake & exhaust are generaly equal in CFM. How much are you willing to spend for a good HSF? The SK6 is not to expensive & is very good. The MC462 by Swiftech is the king of the hill but costs a lot. If your like me & the only available HSFs are thermaltakes then the DOrb 3 Copper is an acceptable solution. It's what I use now but I still want to replace it.
¤GF2MX 230core/205mem
¤431W Enermax PSU
¤2 X 20Gig Barracuda III RAID0
¤WXP Pro
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th October, 2001, 05:20 PM

I'm almost sure it's the airflow that takes the temperature so high, because when I opened it, temperature dropped within a few minutes to 57 C.
Old 16th October, 2001, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lucifer344
I'm almost sure it's the airflow that takes the temperature so high, because when I opened it, temperature dropped within a few minutes to 57 C.
But 57C is still very hot. My T-Bird tops out at 46C, and I also consider that hot. I really think you should look around for another HSF, because that Orb isn't able to keep your T-Bird at acceptable temps.
Asus GeForce2 MX 191/221MHz (Mem/Core)
45 Gig IBM HD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th October, 2001, 10:41 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thermaltake orbs got a lot of free publicity by "me too" -ing onto the popularity of the Panaflo Orbs. These distinctive HS's were pulled from a lot of old H-P Servers by smart "PC junkyards." Then modded to fit on 6x86 processors, and sold at a handsome profit.

Perhaps the profit wasn't all that handsome, real machining has to be done to convert the Panaflo's and a clamp mechanism needs to be added, too.
At any rate, the Panaflo's worked very well and looked very intriguing, too. The first "Orb" from Thermaltake didn't work anywhere near as well, and didn't look as interesting as the original, either.

Unfortunately for the thermal health of OC'd CPU's, Thermaltake's Orbs sold very well. Folks in Europe thought they were a high performance HSF. Let's face it, people often don't have the time nor the inclination for research. The "gotta have it NOW" disease runs rampant, in 'consumerism is all' societies. Nobody is immune!

AFAIK, the recent Orbital efforts from Thermaltake aren't bad HSF's. Nonetheless, count me off the list of owner's.

As sonny suggested, a Thermalright SK-6 is the ticket. Add a screamin' Delta 38, watch those temps plummet. The Delta may be a tiny bit louder(~20 dba) than the fan in your Orb, but sacrifices MUST be made for OC'd performance. Unless you want to get into water cooling.