AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th June, 2002, 06:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to Intrepid6546

Lian-Li not colling as well as Antec...

I originally had an Antec server case in which I had my AthlonXP 2000+ on my Abit KR7A-RAID motherboard and my GeForce3. So it makes a lot of heat, for cooling I had 2 front fans, 2 rear fans, and one top fan that Spyder added in. It got about 29-35C case temp and about 38-45C processor temp with the HHC-001(heatpipe) heatsink and fan. My Lian-Li pv61 USB has 2 front fans, 1 rear fan, and a top fan. Same heatsink and I get 40-45C case temp and 5258C processor temp. Why is it doing this and how can I improve this without spending a ****load of money and making it into an industrial hairdryer. Any amount of money under about $40 because that's the value of my old Antec case and I don't want wattercooling.

-Shaun

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th June, 2002, 07:32 PM
Banned

its hotter because you only have one fan at the back now, a fan right by the cpu at the back is most effective at bringing down cpu temps. if you have a space for another one, i would put one in. you can improve the airflow by cutting away the aluminium grilles on the fan mounting places and replacing them with wire finger gaurds. Maybe replacing that blowhole with a 12mm one running at 7 volts? its not at all hard to do if you have a jigsaw.
Old 26th June, 2002, 10:06 PM
AOA Staff

if you put a 120 in the bottom sucking off the desk, you wont be able to see it
Attached Thumbnails
Lian-Li not colling as well as Antec...-bj9.jpg  
Old 26th June, 2002, 10:22 PM

Where is the air for that one on the bottom coming from?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th June, 2002, 10:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

His case is on 2inch caster wheels- pulls it threw!
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 26th June, 2002, 10:59 PM

Well mine is on little I think 1/3 or 2/3 inch posts so... It might work.

Old 27th June, 2002, 12:34 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I use a Chieftec case (antec rebadges them).
Mine has awesome cooling with the 4 8cm fans blowing. Is going back to your Antec an option?
Old 27th June, 2002, 01:41 AM

Yeah, But one of the reasons I have this Lian-Li is it's got way more bays, it is WAY lighter, and it's black. Yes it's an option. But my Lian-Li with everything in it weighs as much as my Antec by itself. Well with my Antec I only have 2 small bays on the outside, I use three… Also I Like the Lian-Li because I have had hard drive heat problems, the Lian-Li puts the hard drive vertically in front of the fans, so air blows across both sides of it keeping it cool. I just really like this case but it’s not good for cooling like Sigma said it would be. Spyder offered to help me out so I’ll probably be going over to his house to fix it up with better cooling. So any suggestions on how to make it better put them up here. Also one more thing, I am going to paint the drives bays, they are tan right now, and what color should I paint them to match the case? The HDD light is red and the power light is blue everything else is black on it, opinions?

Old 27th June, 2002, 12:59 PM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

The antec's made of 1mm rolled steel though, similar to what they use to build buildings I think (matt'll probably correct me)

it's tough, not so tough that a shipping company couldn't ruin mine though

I'd suggest ducting an 80mm/120mm fan onto the heatsink, and replacing the one you have, I'm REALLY not happy with the HHC-006 (?) I have
Old 27th June, 2002, 02:29 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid6546
the Lian-Li puts the hard drive vertically in front of the fans, so air blows across both sides of it keeping it cool
I think thats why you case temps are higher, the HDD's are heating the incoming air. Lian Li's are nice cases, cut the puncheds grilles out of teh case and you should get a fair bit more airflow! i need to do this to my YY cube really!

And your right bobbinz, im gonna correct you! your thinking RSJ (Rolled Steel Joist) the material is probably a totally different alloy, but it is manufactured in a similar way, the steel is heated, then passed through Rollers to bring it to a uniform thickness. With an RSJ they are usually I shaped, Im not 100% sure how the shape is formed using rollers though

Its quite surprising how much of a thickness change you can get, At college we were learning how "alclad" is made, it starts off about an inch thick, 3 layers, 2 pute aluminium sheets, and a thick inner alloy sheet (the pure alu prevents the alloy corroding) anyway, its squeezed down progressively from 1" to about 40 thou! or even less in a lot of cases! i think the thickest metal used in a 747 skin is about 60 thou thick!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."

Last edited by Random Nonsense; 27th June, 2002 at 02:34 PM.
Old 27th June, 2002, 06:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Its also the fact that he needs to have the case modded- hes coming over in a day or so, so we can fix this- were planing on-
Removing the front 80mm fan filter- adding a fan above the CPU, and redoing the fan layout pretty much-
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 28th June, 2002, 10:55 PM

We did it. We removed the internal filter and grill, so there is still a front grill and no visible change there, just 2 high power fans to replace the ones that were there. And we added one more fan to the back that is the best dang fan I have ever seen! And we plan on adding a window and a light, in the window will be a side input ducted to my CPU. But well, the blowhole used to be hot to the touch, now its blowing only cold air all the time! And it's not much louder either. We might also add a bottom fan, but the bottom fan window and window fan are for next time. It cools great now!

Old 29th June, 2002, 08:21 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

You have a nice setup now. It was good before, but the case wasn't helping.

Add a 120mm Enermax fan on the side in the window! It would look hella kewl!

Spyder, or anyone who can help me with a Asus bootup problem, please get on AIM. I need your help NOW. My new sys isn't starting up!

Spyder - How much money would it cost to paint the frame of a Cheiftec with 6 bays and also the case? 2 diffrent colors (Silver or Blue inside, and Black or silver outside)
Old 29th June, 2002, 10:08 PM

I don't want a 120mm on the side because all that one is going to do it bring air into the CPU fan, so really it only needs to be a good 80mm or 92mm at most. I am going to duct it to the heatsink, than maybe duct the heatsink to one of the output fans as well.