AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th June, 2002, 04:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to Claudius

Alternitives to radiators?

Does anyone use a good alternitive to a radiator? Sure they're easy and effective, but I'm not a fan of the size and noise .

Why not use a peltier to lower the temp of the coolant? You could use another block, a peltier, and a heat sink for the hot side of the peltier.
You could even connect a couple of these in series to cool the water in steps (so the heat sinks don't get as hot).

Claudius
Old 27th June, 2002, 04:51 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Problem with peltiers is they are grossly in-efficient. To get the same performance from a TEC instead of a rad, the heatsink would have to be the size of your case! Its doable, but not nearly as effective. A 2 litre reservoir could cope with my XP1800 no problem 31c load temps!

You could use an Evaporative cooler or "bong" i have one down my shed, they can be made quiet, and small, (mines a traditional one, huge, and sounds like a waterfall) Only real problem is you cannot use water additives, and are very high maintenance, they evaporate water at quite a rate!

You could even go silly and put a simple copper coil into a bucket of water in a freezer! this will be fairly efficient and give excellent results!
Attached Thumbnails
Alternitives to radiators?-evaptower.jpg  

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th June, 2002, 02:40 PM

im hopefully gonna be making a twisterbong! that would be fun and cool!!! i got it all designed in my head, and i know how itll work...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th June, 2002, 06:45 PM

Well I tried a pelt chilled resevore. Here:
http://community.webshots.com/album/31101133jPbxaXIYoy

These were some of my earlier designs. I refined it more later. Anyway the thing about getting good cooling out of pelts is that I had to use big fans with lots of airflow for the heatsink on the hot side to get any kind of good cooling.

Whithout that you will get temps about the same as a middle of the line air cooler but the pelt ssytem whithout a radiator in the line will not be able to get rid of the heat and will continue to rise even after days of use. It won't be much but after a few days it will be a few c warmer.
Old 28th June, 2002, 07:58 PM

i bet you could get a minijet, and watercool that pelt, but get a bigger one, and still use that radiator.... it would make it just a little bit bigger... then it mite start to chill the water...