AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd July, 2002, 05:24 PM

Lowering Fan Speed

Can someone point me to a write up on how to lower fan speed (and decrease noise). Ive got 4 enermax case fans and a _ Volcano II 2 and they are loud as hell!! I think its the cpu fan that makes the most noise. Anyway I am sure this has been discussed many times, so If someone can just point me to the write place that would be great.

Thanks,

john
Old 3rd July, 2002, 11:40 PM

Anybody???

I really only wanna lower the voltage for the CPU fan. That thing gives me a head ache!

Also, i am not over clocking and have no need to. So I dont think im risking much by lowering the speed. Thanks.
Old 4th July, 2002, 03:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Got it. These tell about what wires do what, and also how to make a fan bus

http://www.virtual-hideout.net/guide...us/index.shtml (7v-off-12v)

http://www.virtual-hideout.net/guide...us/index.shtml (5v-off-12v)
Old 4th July, 2002, 07:56 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Well you can wire a rehostat to it. And "dial in" the fan speed that you want. Just MAKE SURE you get a 5WATT one. Shoot for about 10k ohms (if I remember that correctly)

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th July, 2002, 10:18 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

or ear muffs would allow you to work in peace and maintain full cooling!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th July, 2002, 11:05 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

RN - Great idea, but how does it work for other family members who may want to watch TV or something? lol
Old 4th July, 2002, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SiGmA_X
RN - Great idea, but how does it work for other family members who may want to watch TV or something? lol
just replace the ear mufs with infra red headphones, you caneven suplement them with voice mics for communication.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 4th July, 2002, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst
just replace the ear mufs with infra red headphones, you can even suplement them with voice mics for communication.
Those would probably work. My mom and I are thinking of getting my dad some for when we watch DVDs and such... His hearing mush really be going, because it's so loud I can't clearly hear WHAT the people are saying, that is, if I am in the same room. I can hear it perfectly out side though... The neighbors can too! Aren't they lucky?
Old 4th July, 2002, 04:24 PM

here are a couple of choice's

http://www.plycon.com/fancntrl.htm

fer 47 years ive been seeking a balance in life
and I’ve been from one end to the other
i may be getting close
Old 4th July, 2002, 09:36 PM

Those are decent. But look at building your own! And if you like the DigiDoc5, I can get you a great deal on one, that is slightly used (Mine). Message me
Old 5th July, 2002, 05:20 PM

Wow, thanks for all the advice. My dad is going deaf too. My neighbors get to watch everything he does! Anyway I used the 12v-7v i dea and the temp of the CPU only went up about 5 degrees.

Im running a Duran 950 and 105 degrees. That should be pretty safe right?
Old 5th July, 2002, 09:06 PM

No problems there! Hot hot is that in C? I don't know the conversions, and I don't know the F temps

My XP1800+ is running at 1.75GHz at full load and is 46C or 117F. Your's is nicely low!
Old 5th July, 2002, 09:20 PM

105F, i think its about 40C.

johnny
Old 6th July, 2002, 07:13 AM

Not bad. I don't dare reduice my voltage from 12v with this weak HSF and highly OC'd proc