AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st July, 2002, 06:19 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

Air Bubbles ???

Well, let's see, I've had my water going for about 3 months, and I have to add more coolant every once in awhile, because of air bubbles that just 'seem' to get into my system.
I'm using an external rad/pump system, and I've checked everywhere for leaks or signs of leaks, and NOTHING, no wetness, no drop marks, no dry spots, nothing on all connections and the rad itself.

It IS a rather large rad, out of a '93 Chevy P/U heater core, and I'm thinking maybe, just maybe, I still don't have all the air out.

It keeps my cpu around mid 30's at load, so it's not doing that bad of a job.

I only have to add like a 1/4 cup of coolant, if that much, but it's sort of driving me batty trying to figure out where the bubbles come from.
One would think that if the system is under 'pressure' from the pump, it's not going to be sucking air in, eh?

Any clues out there? Anyone else have to add small amounts of coolant every once in awhile?

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st July, 2002, 10:21 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

air may be being pulled in on the suction sode of the pump if the pump is inline, the negetive pressure on the suction side would just suck the air in, not dripping at all. Or the water may just need proper de-aerating or you may even have things living in it and respiring, therefore you get air bubbles

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st July, 2002, 10:31 PM

Well, it IS an Eheim, that might be it.
As for things *living* in it and respiring... OMG.... if there's something in there that can live on Water Wetter and Antifreeze, I ain't messin' with it. heh.

Old 22nd July, 2002, 12:19 AM

Send a message via ICQ to drow_elf Send a message via AIM to drow_elf

if it were suction it would leak when the pump was off though....

after filling it up + turning it on try jiggling the rad see if bubbles pop out.... i dunno....
(i'm not w/c but i have worked on a lot of pool pumps....)
Old 22nd July, 2002, 03:36 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

You're probably right about the radiator not being entirely filled - after changing the coolant in my car usually it takes a little while before I can stop topping it up - and that's with it running under pressure. Also, you probably do have a leak or six, and again, I'd blame the radiator. It's probably not a large leak and if you've been following all advice you'll be using de-ionised (or demineralised at least) water, so you won't see a mark from any leakage.

Other parts of the system that can leak in tiny amounts are the pump-seals and even the tubing itself can have a porosity. To determine once and for all where the water's going, just dump some bright food colouring into the water supply, and look for a colourful stain later.

If you can get hold of some fluorescene in place of the food colouring, that's even better, 'cos you'll be able to see any microleaks by inspecting your case with black light!
Old 22nd July, 2002, 07:37 PM

heh. I like the black lite idea... but then again, i'm an old hippy.

De-ionized. well, I used pure distilled with water wetter and antifreeze, so it won't have the ionization effect on dissimilar metals, as well as being a more effective coolant.

Some day, when I get REALLY bored, I'll take the external box apart and check. I've been thinking of going to a smaller unit, but that's just because I get tired of the same ol' stuff, and the motions of change seem to alleviate the boredom some.

As long as the waterblock isn't the problem, which it isn't, I was just curious as to if adding small amounts of coolant was normal.