AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd September, 2002, 05:10 AM

Send a message via ICQ to drow_elf Send a message via AIM to drow_elf

hmmm, what does it look like before being polished? it might be cool to have a diamond in the rough sort of block??

completely off topic how would a channel design like this work?
Attached Images

Old 3rd September, 2002, 11:39 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

GREAT work bruno! cant wait to try that block out! i expect great things from it!

Do you have any problems with me modifying it a little after the shootout is done? if i can scrape a bit more performance would you consider incorporating any changed i make to the retail blocks?

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th September, 2002, 12:00 AM

@Random Nonsense: Thanks! I don't have any problems with you modifying it. If you get some more performance out of it I would try incorporating (some shapes don't cast so I have some limitations) the changes to what would be a revision 2 of the block.

@drow_elf: As you said, it looks rough I guess people (including me) prefer a nice polished block, but believe it or not the top will have kind of a rough look, plus it will be painted the color of graphite and a lack (I guess that's the word) will go over the paint to protect it and give it some "shine".

Thank you
Bruno Facca
Old 4th September, 2002, 12:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

I still say exclent job!!! Will the AMD version fit a P4??? (just thinkin.....)
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th September, 2002, 04:06 AM

/me realizes he forgot to say something

Great Job! Keep it Up!
Old 4th September, 2002, 09:52 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

i think you mean laquer bruno, well i think thats how you spell it!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 4th September, 2002, 05:41 PM

Thanks everyone! I'm very excited about the next batch, I guess it will come out by the end of this week or begi nning of next week, as soon as I finish building the stuff to "automate" the machining process.

Can anyone tell me if the P4 socket 423 and Xeon 603 have holes in the MoBo? Intel's thermal design guidelines didn't show any as they do on the 478 pin one.

@The Spyder: The block (the part I showed you so far) will be the same for both P4 and AMD, what changes is the top, 2 tops will be available:

One that attaches itself to the socket, this will only be compatible with AMD, the other one is for using the motherboard holes, this one will have sets of holes for socket A and P4.

@Random nonsense: Well, I only know this word in english for a few days so I believe you

Thank you
Bruno Facca
Old 8th September, 2002, 02:06 AM

*Important* please read:

Before the news I would like everyone that is reading this to post saying if you prefer a welded top or one that has 4 screws (one in each corner) and comes sealed with silicone and with the screws tightened. Both would be tested under high pressure before shipping, my worry about welding the top is that many people don't have access to soldering gear if they want to open their block and close it again, plus the hose fittings will be welded (in the bottom part of the block's top so it won't be visible) they are put in their holes under pressure but they could "fall" when you heat the top to take it off so it would take some skill to solder everything back on it's place. I got until the end of this week (wich is starting today) to decide this so don't forget to give your opinion before that.

Now to the news:

There was some delay because of some details that came up. Today, along with someone who has been working with casting for 40 years I did lots of experiments to see how would I get the best results, there were 2 issues: the air inside the molds had nowhere to go so it formed bubbles in some of them, that is solved now, all I had to do is add some thin air exit holes. The other issue wich I will not get in detail because is too hard to explain will require me to build around 15 "casting boxes" (I didn't predict that) so I'll start doing that on monday. Hopefully I will have something like 10 blocks ready (I mean even packaged) in 7-11 days.

These small issues were solved and today I got some impressive results in these experiments I made, I think you will like the final results very much.

Thank you
Bruno Facca
Old 8th September, 2002, 08:11 AM

what if you used some sort of O-ring instead of sealant? silicone sealant would probably hold up but better safe than sorry
Old 8th September, 2002, 12:07 PM

An O-Ring would be the best bet, since its almost zero work to mount the top, and u can get at the innards to clean it out.

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 8th September, 2002, 05:12 PM

Id also go with an O ring.

A properly done O ring seal will be more reliable than solder or silicone and neater.

And the machine you used to get a flat surface on the blocks (sandpaper on rollers) is called a Linisher in english.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 8th September, 2002, 05:43 PM

By O ring you mean something like a "rectangular piece of rubber"? If that's it, rubber doesn't conduct heat so the surface area of the whole top would be lost, using silicone and screws, when it's tightened hard the silicone would only remain on the "holes" (If there was any) so the top would still exchange heat with water.

Thanks
Bruno Facca
Old 11th September, 2002, 02:11 AM

This project sounds great, cant wait to get a look at the final product!!!! :-D
3dmark:10236
Old 14th September, 2002, 04:19 AM

Sorry for taking so long to post back, I had some personal issues I had to solve in the last few days plus I had to reinstall everything in my PC.

The modeling gear I told you I would have to make is finally ready, took me more time than I figured but they're "perfect" now. Also I just ran out of gas for the blast furnace and I can only buy more on monday so I'll make the molds in the meantime and cast it on monday. As for the tools I'm developing to make the finnish better/easier/faster are almost done, I'll have to wait until I cast so I can get some "average" measures I need to put the pieces (of the tools) together.

@SuperMan0234: Thanks

Bruno Facca
Old 18th September, 2002, 02:49 AM

It's very important that you read the text instead of just looking at the pics, I know not much people do that but anyway...

Before I forget, it's definitive, we're going for screws + silicone for the sealing of the top/bottom contact. If you want to clean it just remove the screws, pull a little hard so the silicone will come off and then add a little silicone when you're closing it, you may not even need it but just in case..

I know, I know, it's wed I told you they would be cast on sun.. But I think it has worth the wait. Here they are, the "raw" pics as lots of people requested. These blocks were just taken out the molds and all I did was clean them a little so you can see the inside, they have no finnish at all and they're still pretty dirty but you asked for it . Of course these still have to be machined and when they're finished they will look much better than the previous pic I showed you, also, that shiny hehe

http://66.227.5.144/images/block.jpg
"Rough" blocks (without any machining)

I casted 9 of them, some are exactly as these first pictures but some came with a very small "defect" if you can call it that way, there was a little copper accumulation in a corner, it wouldn't affect performance at all, just looks, so I would like to know if you think these "deffective" blocks are sellable or not. These little metal accumulations were caused by the melted copper being spilled in the mold too fast, the ones that were spilled slower came out to be "perfect" so I could cast again and get a buch of block without that little flaw or I can just make these available (after finnishing them of course), what you think?

http://66.227.5.144/images/defect.jpg
"Defective" blocks

Let me know your toughts on these
Thanks
Bruno Facca

Last edited by Bruno Facca; 18th September, 2002 at 02:52 AM.
Old 18th September, 2002, 02:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

i cant even tell- i dont think those are NOT sellable- there great!
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 19th September, 2002, 11:41 PM

@The Spyder: I'm glad you liked it, I'll post back when I have more news/pics.

Thanks
Bruno
Old 20th September, 2002, 11:09 PM
New Member "Outlaw"

Location: Clarksville,Ar but i'm from Neworleans (don't ask lol )

Brono Great work . Very well planned out I must say.
Old 22nd September, 2002, 02:00 AM

I'm giving those 8 blocks finnish (they will be sold as a pre-relase), here's what I'm doing for further performance testing:

- 1 block with wall thickness reduced to +-2mm, not the internal divisions just the outside walls, bottom is "regular" thickness. Normal wall thickness for the sides is 3.8mm.

- 1 block with bottom wall thickness reduced to 2.5mm. Normal bottom thickness is 3.5mm

- 1 block with height reduced (as in some of the top shaved off) to <I'm not sure exactly how much for as I still didn't do this one>

- 1 block with the water inlet right above the CPU core, this one will have 2 water outlets, one on each side

The other 4 are "regulars", the last one I mentioned will have only it's top modded so it can also be "converted to a regular" just by switching tops.

As soon as I'm done making these blocks/mods I just described (don't forget I still have to cast the tops) I will have some extensive performance (CÂș/W) data

@watsaru: Thank you

Thanks
Bruno Facca
Old 22nd September, 2002, 02:43 AM

The results from your different blocks will be very interesting.
That sort of trial and error testing should tell you allot about what works and what dosent. The difficulty will be to measure the diferences as they probably wont be more than a few tenths of a degree.

Good luck Bruno, what you have so far is very impressive indeed.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.