AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th November, 2002, 05:14 AM

wow, lots of stuff happened lately i was kinda wondering what was going on

lemme give you a tip here on designs, make them short, thin base, lots of surface area with center inlet. lots of small structural surface area, not large stuff. could you take some 32gage wire and prick the mold and make tiny pins like that and be able to cast those? or something to that extent?
how bout some pictures of the ones you made? the new ones..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th November, 2002, 02:08 PM

Even not having reliable ways to measure temp the mother board diode can be used to tell an increase or descrease in temperature, still not precise but right now it's all I have. The new and smaller blocks with thinner walls actually performed worst than the big ones, so I did a project from scratch and the iron mold (I said steel but it has to be iron) is already being done, I will have it by mon or tue next week and the day after that I will cast some 50 blocks, it's a very fast and clean job using the iron mold, also, in theory the blocks will be absolutely flawless.

Those 13 blocks I was going to sell before selling the new ones (made with the iron mold) are not even going to be sold as they don't perform so good and the guy who was supposed to give them finish has left lots of "rounded" walls, that's why from now on finnish will be made with a milling machine and a special tool to make all the outside surfaces _very_ flat, if the bottom needs some more lapping I will use a 600 or 1200 sandpaper in the belt sander.

I'll post the specs for the new design soon (I'm working on a whitepaper that is needed for the patenting process) as soon as I finish it I will post it, the pin count has doubled or tripled from the photos you've seen, the pins are 4mm on the base and 3mm on the top, they go all the way up to the top of the block, they're arranged in a way that water constantly hits them instead of a straight line where water just hits the first one and passes around the other. Overall measurements are base: 55x50, top: 58x53, height is 15mm (this was calculated so the water has a minimum space of 1/2 to pass, all along the channel, the articacts were considered). There are also new, and more efficient artifacts in the side walls, lots of them. Even with all of that inside the block, the channels are wide and I was very careful not to restrict much flow, it will still be a very little flow restricting block.

I think this is going to be perfect

The blocks themsevles (not including the top will be ready almost for sure next week), I'll try to get the tops ready too until friday but that I really can't be sure, I can say that if nothing else goes wrong (and I don't see what could go wrong) I'll have a whole bunch of blocks in the week after next week. As soon as I sell some blocks (so I get some money) I will send blocks to the people I promised (for review), so hang in there.

JFettig: The pins will be already milled in the iron mold, it's like a negative of the block itself (obviously), wires could be used for a model to cast in "sand" molds but I will never ever use sand again (thank god!)

Thanks
Bruno Facca
Old 30th November, 2002, 02:32 PM

But if you do not want to use a Y fitting for a three barb top, you can add another barb to the heater core and route the tubing such as this and have a cleaner setup.
Attached Images

Old 30th November, 2002, 02:33 PM

This is the beginning stages of my new core. Will look like my old core to the left. I have added the third barb.
Attached Images

Old 2nd December, 2002, 05:25 PM

I woke up today with a bad flu, fever, headache and all that.. So I didn't go make the iron mold, tomorrow (if I'm not worst, I hope not cause I took those "anti flu" drugs and stuff) I will do that , I hope all of my molding problems to be over

I promise it will worth the wait.

@CooledByWater: That seems like a good idea, I hope to have some time and test it. Flow restriction would probably be even less than with the Y connector. Let me know the results after you test it (including wich block, pump and hosing you use please)

Thanks
Bruno Facca
Old 10th December, 2002, 12:26 AM

The iron mold was very hard to make so it took a lot of time, I also ordered some new casting gear that should arrive tomorrow so I won't have the use the old carbon "bucket" that could have a little sand on it, the casting process will be 100% clean. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Bruno
Old 14th December, 2002, 12:02 AM

I would ask the people who are/were following this thread to read trough this whole post, everything written here is very important.

I'm not the kind of person who usually give up on things before I'm sure it's really time to give up, as in there's nothing more I can do, you should know that by now since I started this thread on july and since then I'm doing everything I can to make it happen. Right now I'm being forced to get some "vacation" until around january 10th, here are the reasons for this:

- The workshop who was doing the milling (for the finnish, sanding was not good enough and I don't have a miller), cutting the metal plates for the tops (I also don't have a good way to do this) and punching holes on them is going on vacation starting now and getting back at january 7th.

- I'm way over my head in debts, making water blocks may seem cheap to some people but series production is a whole different thing. I owe a lot of money to the bank and to a couple of people who has loaned me some money, I would need some more to finish this project now but I have no place to get it. For you to have an idea, I have a PC that I guess can be considered a very nice one (XP1800, geforce 4 mx440, 80gb 7200rpm ata133, 256mb nanya DDR...) and I would have to sell like three PCs like this one to pay for what I owe. It may not seem much to some but it sure is for me.

- I'm the kind of person who always try to stay away for trouble because I think trouble only brings more and more trouble but sometimes trouble just comes after you (that sucks). I'm in some deep personal trouble right now, stuff I have no reason to write here but I expect to have it solved by january.

There has been some problems with the iron mold and I couldn't get a single good piece out of it, I really think these problems can be fixed but that would require some more money that I don't have right now, and my resources for getting it are depleted.

I hope to be back by the time I told you and I hope to be able to make this project happen.

I'd like to thank everyone who has helped me and shared their toughts/knowledge so far, I think people can learn a lot fro this thread.

Thank you very much everyone and I'm sorry for the bad news.

Bruno Facca
Old 14th December, 2002, 08:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

take as much time as you need! Better self being then us watching you suffer!!! Making blocks cost lost of $$$ and i dont blame you for taking a "forced" break~ good luck and see ya in a month!
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!