AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th August, 2002, 03:16 AM
Phat Spammer

Send a message via AIM to Phat Pat

cpu cooler fit

ok I know it is a long shot that anyone will know, but... I have a ECS K7SEM (version 1) motherboard and I wanted to know if anyone can tell me if a ThermalRight SLK-600 will fit, it seems like a cpu cooler that big will run into the RAM, as its only a short distance from the prossessor. I want to install one, but I dont want to get stuck with a heatsink that doesnt fit. (btw I have a AMD Athlon 900Mhz (Thunderbird) cpu)
Old 15th August, 2002, 05:35 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I got the board and SteveI has one (err maybe more) But I don't have one of those hsf.

Sorry.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th August, 2002, 05:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

It should it..... an AX7 will fit on my bros ecs........
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th August, 2002, 12:37 AM
Phat Spammer

thanks for the help. I was thinking about this, and that got me thinking about size, then I remembered how small my heatsink fan is, I never gave it a second thought before. The fan that is on there now is pretty small, 60mm but really thin. the retention system for the fan is hard to explain, but I wanted to know if I can replace the fan, without replacing the whole heatsink, (at least for now, besides I need a better (60mm) fan for a new hs anyway). the fan attaches with 4 pieces of metal that are bent in the shape of a square without the bottom , Ill try my "drawing" skills here:
_
| |
(side view)
that is the basic shape, it has a hole in the top to accept a screw which has first gone through the fan's mounting holes. it's aproximately 4-5 mm wide looking at it from the top. Each metal piece slips over two of the hs fins and I am not quite sure how, but it holds pretty well. I dont know if this is a weird design (or if anyone can understand what I just said) as I am pretty new to this. I would also like to know what a good 60mm fan would be, and where I can get one for a good price. and one more thing, does anyone know if a 80mm to 60mm adapter is worth the price? It seems like it wouldnt give much of a performance advantage because of the airflow restriction (ie: if you blow through a straw you will move as much air as if you blow through a funnel with a straw on the small end). If any of this is too confusingly worded, ill be happy to translate to english, lol.

Last edited by Phat Pat; 17th August, 2002 at 01:30 AM.
Old 17th August, 2002, 12:57 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

you should be able to put another fan on it. Ever heard of super glue? Just do the corners NOT the WHOLE THING!!! I usually put a O-ring between the fan and the heat sync. This will take care of any vibration from the fan and aid in making it spin faster.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 17th August, 2002, 01:27 AM
Phat Spammer

super glue? that works? (*thinks about the possibilitys...). if anyone can suggest a good fan that isnt too loud (I cant sleep with my computer on in my room as it is so it doesnt have to be silent by any means, just cant be extreemely annoying) I would greatly appreshiate it.
Old 17th August, 2002, 01:37 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

1: You're right about the adaptors. They can only blow so much air.
2: Y-S Tech has a new fan out (sorta hard to find) with magnetic tip drive instead of a large center hub, which both is quieter and pushes more air than its rivals.

I've swapped out fans before, no problem. If the original retainers didn't work, I used real aluminum tape (for duct work) that is super flexible and strong.
One thing to watch out for is if the wattage of the new fan is high, you *might* not want to plug it into the fan header on the mobo. Some boards (not sure about yours) are set in the bios for whether or not to pay attention to if you have the fan 'on' or not, just check your bios for the option.

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow

Last edited by Orbit; 17th August, 2002 at 01:40 AM.
Old 17th August, 2002, 01:59 AM
Phat Spammer

I just checked out a Y-S Tech high output 60mm fan here. It has a molex for power and a 3 pin type with just the RPM moniter. 48.2 decibles, Im not sure, but isnt that kinda loud? i suppose my case would muffle it a good amount. 40 cfm think it will be worth the excess noise? maybe I'll get a new case fan while Im at it. (which I have never done in a steel part before, only the plastic bezzel in front). Another question: is there any advantage to seting up fans in series? it seems like it would only hurt things.

Last edited by Phat Pat; 17th August, 2002 at 02:32 AM.
Old 17th August, 2002, 04:18 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

AFAIK, stacked fans only help when one turns clock-wise and the one beneath it turns counter-clock-wise. Quite difficult to find fans like that!

Powerful 60mm fans(and 80mm, 92mm and 120mm's, too) draw too much Wattage to be able to be safely hooked to a mainboard's 3-Pin fan riser's. That this fan you want comes with a "Molex" 4-Pin connector to draw its power from your PS's "daisy-chain," and a 3-Pin connector(with only the tachometer, aka RPM sensing wire) is a Good Thing.

Will it be loud? Compared to the infamous 38 cfm, 7000 RPM, 60mm Delta 'Screamer,' it's definitely more quiet. How much more quiet? Not a whole lot. If you decide to go with any powerful 60mm or 80mm fan, spend the extra 2 bucks for a fan guard for it. The power house fans will do a dam-dam on a finger.

Aside from the funneling of the air from a large fan into a small HS inefficiency, to retain the same cooling power that a 60mm Delta Screamer has on a 60mm heatsink, while using an 80mm fan on a 80 to 60mm adapter, the cfm that the 80mm fan puts out has to nearly double that of the original 60mm fan.

Lousy deal, eh? That's what I thought!

I'd see if one of the 80mm heatsinks(Alpha PAL-8045, Thermalright AX-7(or the newer and undoubtedly more expensive SLK-?) fan will fit on your mainboard. Then if you're not overclocking or live in Death Valley, an 80mm ~50 cfm fan will cool a K7 just fine. It'll be a lot more quiet than a 38 or 40 cfm 60mm or a powerful 80mm will be on an 80mm-to-60mm Fandapter.

If your Thunderbird is in Slot A form factor, I don't think an 80mm HSF will work, btw.

Last edited by cloasters; 17th August, 2002 at 04:39 AM.
Old 17th August, 2002, 06:13 AM
Phat Spammer

thanks for all the info, any suggestions on what fan to use in the way of a 60 mm fan? as I cant afford a new hs. the fan in front on my box runs at about 34Db so I dont want to go much over that, anyone know how much the case will dampen the sound from the hs fan? it is a relitively thick steel case, thanks again for all the help guys!!

AOA Team fah
Old 18th August, 2002, 04:44 AM
Phat Spammer

Im thinking about going with thisSunon fan. right now there is a 60x60x10 Thermaltake fan on there, thinking it blows somewhre between 10 and 15cfm, this one gives 23, any opinions?
Old 18th August, 2002, 04:56 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The Sunon you made the link to looks like a good choice. 'Fraid that OCing isn't possible without serious air. Which is nearly invariably loud in the 60mm size. I'm surprised that your processor temp isn't red-lined with the fan you're using now. Btw, 23 cfm doesn't qualify as "serious air."

This Sunon 60mm will be quiet. Un-modified cases do little to muffle internal fan noise. Dag nab it.
Old 18th August, 2002, 05:08 AM
Phat Spammer

I will probably go with that then, do you think the fact that it hooks up to the motherboard will be a problem? I only have one unused molex left, which raises another question: is there any way I can safely convert that one, into two, and I really dont want to rig it up myself, so can I get an adapter somwhere?
Old 18th August, 2002, 10:06 PM
Phat Spammer

hey, never mind that, Im now pretty sure I will go with that Y-S Tech fan, with a Swiftech rheostat speed controler. I found a splitter for the molex, and I thiink I can use it safely, as I have a bunch of other unused connectors on my 350W PSU.