AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd August, 2002, 05:39 PM

Lightbulb AX-7 Waterblock

Here's an idea for any of you that are interested in making your own waterblock...

A few months ago I took a AX-7 heatsink and turned it a waterblock. I have been running it on a slightly overclocked T-bird 1.4 1620 MHz (135 x 12.0) at 1.85 Vcore with good results. It's relatively easy to do if you have access to a vertical mill.

http://w3.one.net/~robotech/images/A...waterblock.jpg http://w3.one.net/~robotech/images/A...aterblock2.jpg

Ambient room air = 23 C, Water = 24.5 C, CPU Folding@Home 24/7 = 34 C
Eheim 1250, custom reservoir, (2) BIE radiators, and 1/2" silicone tube

http://w3.one.net/~robotech/images/A.../AX7_angle.jpg http://w3.one.net/~robotech/images/A...AX7_inside.jpg

I milled two 7/16" dia. holes down to where they just broke thru into the copper base - flat bottoms and then tapped for a little extra wetted surface area. A 3/8" wide slot across the top connects the two holes.

http://w3.one.net/~robotech/images/A...X7_inside2.jpg http://w3.one.net/~robotech/images/A..._injectors.jpg

Water flows into the two outer fittings, down thru the injector tubes and then back up the outside of each tube and out the center fitting. I used a silicone rubber gasket instead of trying to machine an O-ring groove. With the E-1250 I get about 80 GPH flow thru the block.

Soooo, if you have thought of making your own block, this is a pretty easy way to start and when you are done it just clips on... I'm sure there are plenty of other slight design changes that could be tried with this design. Have fun and be cool,

RoboTech

EPoX 8K7A, XP1800+ @1610 MHz, PC Power & Cooling 400 w
Promise FastTrak RAID 0 x (2) IBM 60 GXPs
ASUS GeForce3, Acoustic Edge 5.1
Win98SE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd August, 2002, 06:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

one word: WOW

That looks a bit complicated to me, as I'm not that handy with metal working. (I wimped and bought a DDMaze3 that works pretty good)

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd August, 2002, 07:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

That is a DAMN nice job my freind! and it gives me something to do with my AX7 that i have laying around!
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 24th August, 2002, 12:30 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Nice block RoboTech . . .

Are the two aluminum tubes just pressed in to the top, or are they threaded and screwed in, or welded?

It'd be interesting to do the same, but machine the top so the hose barbs are parallel to the base so that a fan can still be used on the heatsink . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 24th August, 2002, 12:50 AM

Very interesting
Old 24th August, 2002, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Nice block RoboTech . . .

Are the two aluminum tubes just pressed in to the top, or are they threaded and screwed in, or welded?

It'd be interesting to do the same, but machine the top so the hose barbs are parallel to the base so that a fan can still be used on the heatsink . . .
The injector tubes are pressed in. And yes, if I had it to do over again I would mount the fittings at a right angle also. Lots of ways to improve on my original design I'm sure...
Old 26th August, 2002, 04:04 AM

thats really cool, but i dont see how you get the water from the 2 inlets to the outlet...