AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th August, 2002, 07:47 AM
Banned

Cooling with nitrogen gas?

Sub Zero temps here! I wonder what the fog will do to the mobo. LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
Cooling with nitrogen gas?-kurimasu-dual.jpg  
Old 26th August, 2002, 04:01 PM

That looks more like liquid nitrogen cooling, not gas...
Old 27th August, 2002, 02:21 AM

Send a message via ICQ to nfrenay

Err.. What this has to do with Epox Forum ??

The picture doesn't even show an Epox board as far as I can see.
- 512Mb Kingston Hyper-X PC2700 @ 2-2-6-2-1 @ 198MHz @ 2.67V
- MSI GF4 Ti4400 VIVO
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th August, 2002, 05:53 AM
Banned

O, sorry not an epox board! Just thought you might get a good laugh. Saw this on a Chinese web site. I went to H-oda's web site and click on some links there and found this pic. Just installed the valcano 7 cpu cooler. I'm impressed! drop my temps 20 degrees F. WOW! Went from 129 F under full load to 109 F under full load. Better make sure you have enough room around your cpu before you install one of these things, IT"S BIG!
Old 27th August, 2002, 06:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to nfrenay

I don't like my Volcano 7... I really expected more from it...

That's why I'm making my watercooler . Waterblock 100% home-made...

PICS of almost finished waterblock:
http://www.pcsite.hpg.com.br/WC/waterblock1.jpg
http://www.pcsite.hpg.com.br/WC/waterblock2.jpg
- 512Mb Kingston Hyper-X PC2700 @ 2-2-6-2-1 @ 198MHz @ 2.67V
- MSI GF4 Ti4400 VIVO
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th August, 2002, 09:21 AM
Banned

I have thought of making a cpu cooler that has a liquid core. Does anyone know if this has been done before? How it would work is the base would be thick enough to drill into and fill with liquid. And like the regular cpu coolers it would have fins with a fan on top. I figure the liquid core would transfer the heat better than a solid metal one would. Any thoughts on this? Also could try different liquids to find which one would work best.
Old 27th August, 2002, 03:15 PM
AOA Staff

liquid transfers heat a lot beter than air, but not as well as metal.
Old 28th August, 2002, 06:40 AM
Banned

I just got the valcano 7 the other day and put it in without really taking a look at it. I used to work on race cars. So I know a little about air flow and how to increase it. Well I have already increased it by 30% with one small mod. to the fan area. Another buy relocating the temp. sensor thing that controls the speed. I cannot believe that the guys who made this thing did not see the flow restriction I have found. And did not think of relocating the temp. sensor. I am still experimenting, But when I'm done I will tell ya what I did. O by the way, this increase in air flow has drop my temp. another 2-4 degrees! So stay tuned. Because I expect to have a final increase of 50% or more!
Old 28th August, 2002, 10:44 AM
Banned

Ok, Here's the deal with the valcano 7 mods I did. The grill in front is to close to the fan and disrupts air flow comming into the fan. So I removed it. Now with the cover off and me sitting about a foot away from fan I can feel the air hit me! Did not come close to doing that before. Now if your like me you have your case pretty well ventalated. Ok the valcano 7 has a temp sensor on the outside of fan that detects the case heat and adjusts the rpm to it. The higher the temp in case, the faster the fan goes. Well since my case has no heat problems, I put the sensor in between the cooling fins. You have to get the sensor close to the place were the heat is. Were the small square thing on the cpu touches the heatsink. It needs to be at least 3/4 the way or better down the cooling fin towards the cpu. Now what this does is make the fan respond to cpu heat (load) instead of case heat. As the cpu gets hotter the rpm's get faster. Neat huh. My temp under load and at idle are now 4 degrees lower. Also where the heatsink attaches to mobo, you will notice a pretty good size gap on each side. I put electric tape there to increase air across the fins. keeps air from leaking here. There's no cooling with the air that leaks out the sides like that. If you do this let me know if it worked as well for you as it did for me. If you have a burn in program try it and watch the rpm's of the fan go up with temp of cpu.
Old 29th August, 2002, 01:13 AM

metal....liquid....heat transfer!

well guys, the solution is HEAT PIPES.
100-1000 times more heat conduction than a solid piece of copper
dont fool yourselfs with all these fancy devices
if you use heat pipes to transfer the heat then a fan for a GPU is enough to cool your CPU.
if you really want it cool, then buy a small camping fridge and bypass the coolant through your fins or heat pipes. be careful with leaks!

by the way, heat pipe coolers are out there, dont ask me where

an engineering opinion!
Old 29th August, 2002, 01:27 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by K6-III
That looks more like liquid nitrogen cooling, not gas...
Actually both are correct. The cooling action comes from the liquid nitrogen changing phases, or evaporating in to a gas. Under the right conditions damn near any liquid that can be used to super cool your CPU. It's all about having the right boiling point at pressure the stuff is subjected to.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 29th August, 2002, 09:31 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Re: metal....liquid....heat transfer!

Quote:
Originally posted by madmarios

by the way, heat pipe coolers are out there, dont ask me where
Coolermaster make a couple, the old Thermoengine claimed to be a heatpipe design but it was merely a hole bored into the sink and capped.

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 29th August, 2002, 08:05 PM

well it is true that coolmaster sells heat pipes but i didn't know and definetely don't know what they are made of. constructing a heat pipe is very difficult especialy if you want to do it properly. probably coolmaster couldn't bother do a whole research about heat pipes and how they function. there are so many parameters to take under consideration like, pressure, temperatures, working fluids and lots of limits within the heatpipe that are proportional to the above. belive me, they are a pain in the a..s but they worth it

i include this link i found, it explains in everyday language

http://www.thermacore.com/hpt.htm
Old 30th August, 2002, 02:44 AM

The coolermaster HHC-L61 or HHC 001 is a heat-pipe cooler,..have seen it in action, and am getting one of those babies as soon as i have some spare $$ .
After their first attempt at heat-pipe coolers that was paltry to say the least,..their tech guys have revamped it and boy does it work. Says a lot for R 'n' D and customer feedback....they've done a damn fine job.

GG
PC-A9RD580 / Crucial BallistiX PC4000 DDR500 / AMD OPTERON DualCore 165 / X1900XT 512Mb / X1900GTO 256Mb / X-Mystique 7.1 GOLD / Logitech X-530 / NEC AD-7170S & Pioneer 120S / Maxtor 300Gb SATA-II / Silverstone Olympia 650W / ChiefTec 'Scorpio' Black Case / Canon MP600 / Hyundai IT X91D 19" TFT

Last edited by Gr33nGecko; 30th August, 2002 at 02:47 AM.
Old 30th August, 2002, 05:34 PM

ok whats this thread about again? weres that ln2 thing at? i wanna see a link!
Old 30th August, 2002, 09:19 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by madmarios
well it is true that coolmaster sells heat pipes but i didn't know and definetely don't know what they are made of. constructing a heat pipe is very difficult especialy if you want to do it properly. probably coolmaster couldn't bother do a whole research about heat pipes and how they function. there are so many parameters to take under consideration like, pressure, temperatures, working fluids and lots of limits within the heatpipe that are proportional to the above. belive me, they are a pain in the a..s but they worth it
The problem with the Coolmaster designs is that they rely on a wick to return condensed liquid to the load, gravity works much better but they had to use a wick to make it a universal part. The heatpipe based cooler in the Shuttle small form factor bare bones chassis is the way to go, gravity return from a large remote condenser. I suspect we will see a lot of OEMs use such designs a few years down the road to keep things from over-heating while keeping system noise down

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/shut...e_772_copy.jpg

I'd be interesting to build something like this to use in conjunction with a TEC.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 31st August, 2002, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper

I'd be interesting to build something like this to use in conjunction with a TEC.
actually im thinking about it, cuz im geting closer and closer to building a heatpipe, and i was thinking about tec cooling the condensor side.... unless i can find a tranny cooler like thing i can use as the condensor.... anyone got a small 3 or 4 pass condensor???