AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st September, 2002, 10:21 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Big cheap AC blower fan!

Only $15! Two speed! 3000 or 1900 RPMs. Good for drawing air through a radiator perhaps?

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...148&type=store

http://www.allelectronics.com/images...rge/CF-148.jpg

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd September, 2002, 06:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to sheepgoat

how much air would that move?

also how do you power it, all i see is three cords coming off. could you power it by your psu?
Old 2nd September, 2002, 06:37 AM

hehehe, i'd like to put it on my heatsink.
Old 2nd September, 2002, 08:33 AM

It's powered by 110-120VAC. Two of the wires hook to a double throw switch, one of the wires goes straight to the AC outlet, and the wire from the center terminal on the switch goes to the AC outlet . . .

At 3000RPM it would move a hell of a lot of air, and since its a blower it can build more pressure. It'd probably move over 1000CFM . . .

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd September, 2002, 09:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

I could use a couple of those for attic ventilation
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 2nd September, 2002, 04:26 PM

yep, that would workk nicely on my heatsink.
Old 3rd September, 2002, 12:04 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Jeff, any idea where i could get a 12VDC flavoured one? Its not for cooling but for mildly supercharging my car. Fed up of the thing not being able to go up a hill at much more than 10mph. Its injection, would i need to fiddle with it at all or would just cramming more air down its throat work?

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 3rd September, 2002, 03:49 PM

have a look at www.greenweld.co.uk they do fans of the 172mm variety, i dunno if theywould be much use in a supercharger, I suspect not.

I dontthink you can canvert ordinary carbs to a supercharged system by just adding some big fannage, although Dimm will know how if you can do it.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 3rd September, 2002, 06:32 PM

An electric fan won't help much I'm afraid. You may gain a pound or so of pressure and a bit of turbulance for better fuel mixture, but nothing you will notice when you mash down the go pedal.

I recommend you purchase a copy of Hugh MacInnes' Turbochargers, it is full of much good advice on turbocharger selection and installation. The book will stress using a propperly sized turbo, but if you just use a turbo off an engine that is comparible in displacement and RPM range you will have the right turbo for the job. Basically, the book will tell you what you need to know to pull a turbo at the salvage yard, rebuild it, and install it in your car. The book even has a chapter dedicated to special fuel/air metering considerations.

Other alternatives are Nitrous injection, or even O2 injection if you are really strapped for cash. O2 injection requires water injection along with the additional fuel to keep the pistons from melting and to prevent predetonation, so it is not something often considered, but its doable.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 3rd September, 2002 at 06:34 PM.
Old 3rd September, 2002, 06:49 PM

Im thinking Nitrous injection will increase my insurance premiums somewhat

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 3rd September, 2002, 06:59 PM

Not if the insurance company doesn't know . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 4th September, 2002, 10:00 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

they cant prove u were using this nitrous when u crashed, so they cant increase ur premiums. thats why i want an electrically powered supercharger. and dimm, i WOULD notice, i can notice how much quicker it goes on a cold night compared to during the day! this is why i suspect i could get away without messing with the fuel metering sytem.

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 5th September, 2002, 09:44 AM

Every car runs better on a cool night. You gain approximately 1% horsepower for every 5C cooler that the air is(assuming ignition timing and fuel mixture is optimal for conditions). Humidity plays a big roll too . . .

You could always try using a TEC to chill your fuel, though its hard to say if you will gain anything(the alternator uses horsepower too). When the fuel evaporates it absorbs thermal energy, which cools the air and increases density. Cooler fuel absorbs more heat from the air. Every gasoline drag engine I build gets fuel sucked through a device called a "cool can", which consits of a spiral of aluminum tubing inside an aluminum canister filled with dry ice and alcohol.

AOA Team fah
Old 6th September, 2002, 03:39 AM
Phat Spammer

Send a message via AIM to Phat Pat

An electric fan as a supercharger? Im thinking that would not be such a good idea, you would have to have an enormous blower to gain any boost whatsoever. I know you were hopeing to gain power for $15, but that just isnt going to happen (legaly). if your car can pass emmissions tests with flying colors, you can gut the catalytic converters (shhhh... not exacly legal) and get a decent amount of power gain. but, if your starting out with, for instance, a Geo Metro, there isnt a whole lot you can do short of swapping the engine. (Disclaimer: if you screw up your car is your fault, you dont have to listen to me. I dont support illegal activity, so if you want to know how, go somewhere else.)