AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th September, 2002, 05:56 PM

Question P4 Stock Cooler Install... Yes, He Said 'Stock'.

Howdy. Believe it or not I am using my stock P4 heatsink and fan. I originally purchased ThermalTake's P4 Dragon 478, but after much experimenting I've found this works better at idle and at load, plus using the Intel fan I can again hear something besides my fan.
So my question, which I think I know the answer to, is this: Should I clean away Intel's supplied thermal tape and instead use some ASIII in its place?
Thank You Much.
512MB GEiL DDR2700 | 240GB RAID
Visiontek GeForce4 Ti 4200
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th September, 2002, 06:11 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Yep! should be pretty effective then, Ive heard the intel stock sink is actually pretty adequate, unlike AMD's!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th September, 2002, 09:53 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Don't forget to lap the heatink base

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 12th September, 2002, 12:24 AM

Don't you worry, once I look that up I'll be all over it. Memory says it has something to do with sandpaper...
Old 12th September, 2002, 10:25 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

that it does! using a flat surface and various grades of sandpaper to smooth and flatten the base

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 12th September, 2002, 02:09 PM

Im using the stock heatsink on my work box.

P4 1.6 willy at 2gig using the very quiet cooler.

That P4 heatspreader and the larger CPU die helps even a cheap alluminium heatsink perform well.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 12th September, 2002, 02:53 PM

It was acceptable to peel away that aluminum foil-type thing before applying the ASIII, right? (I hope).
Also, I didn't lap it, cause I had no idea how at the time, but my temps seem okay. SHould I be concerned enough to go back and do it, or is it a case where if my temps are okay, leave it be...
Old 12th September, 2002, 06:52 PM
Banned

"If it aint broke, don't fix it" only applies in real life...

The overclocker's motto is:

"Fix it until it's broken"
Old 12th September, 2002, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky

LOL PINKY, spot on observation there.
I've found stock standard heatsinks to be more than adequate even for some overclocking. MY AMD duron runs at 65c constant and is perfectly stable, no crashes during gaming or anything.
My friend dave runs his even hotter and he has little or no problems.
Old 13th September, 2002, 12:07 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky

That's only half the story. The full motto is:

"Fix it until it's broken, then learn from your mistakes."

In practice it's important to apply the scientific method to this motto, and only fix one thing at a time.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 17th September, 2002, 01:46 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Biohazard

this is soo unfair i got a Heatpipe on my Inhell P4 2.26 gaming rig and it sux! i never got the Intel fan cos i got the B non retail

all i can say is i have bought my last Inhell product ever!

Rig 2
AMD XP2000+/MSI Ultra2/ATI Radeon 9000/Kingston 256Mb PC2100/Seagate 60GB 5200RPM
Old 5th October, 2002, 08:41 PM

Send a message via ICQ to baltoos

I've got a P4-1.6A with stock HSF & AS3 running at 140fsb & default v-core & temps max out at about 53-55C under full load depending on room temp. Intel includes a decent heatsink & fan in their retail boxes. -Dave
[/size] IF ALL ELSE FAILS, READ THE DAM INSTRUCTIONS!!
Old 3rd November, 2002, 05:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to SkuLLy|RT

heh.

bringing this thread back from the dead cause after a lil ocing incident i can't afford another swiftech hsf.

the person i bought this retail p4 chip from did a really bunk job scrapping the thermal pad off, and it def looks like it needs some lapping.

i was curious if you guys could point me in the direction of some good how to's.. the ones i've been reading just say 'grind on grit a, then grit b, then grit c, etc'..
Old 3rd November, 2002, 07:48 PM

Lapping is fairly simple, it is pretty much the same as the guides you have already read! get a flat surface (glass) tape sandpaper to it, lubricate with some soapy water, and mover the sink in a figure of 8 pattern util the finish is uniform, then move up a grit. keep this up until your are happy. there isnt much more too it :S

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 6th November, 2002, 11:32 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

I fixed one of my computers 'til it broke last Sunday. It's still not working. Decided I could get couple hundred extra Mhz if I swapped CPUs between 3 machines (different boards with different capabilities). I got two of the 3 back up after some minor setbacks, but that third one is driving me up a wall! I'll give it a couple of whacks with the rubber mallet before letting it give up the ghost for good.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 7th November, 2002, 04:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to drow_elf Send a message via AIM to drow_elf

lol this is going to be my new motto: "Fix it until it's broken" (and my sig, good one pinky... even though you're apparently not around )