AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

View Poll Results: What do you think of the concept?
I want one now! 3 17.65%
I would buy one if they had good reviews. 4 23.53%
I want one, but only if they are well priced. 8 47.06%
No thanks, I will just stick with my old pump. 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th September, 2002, 02:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Fujikuro

Question "Smart" pumps soon to come...maybe!

Alright guys, here is the story. I was contacted by a pump manufacturing company the other day. They saw my computer setup on the internet somewhere, and they wanted me to give them information on the watercooling scene. I told them everything I knew, and now they are very interested in selling their pumps for watercooling purposes. I suggested to them the idea of a "smart" pump, that is one that could monitor important factors such as water temp, flow rate, etc. These monitoring sensors built into the pump could then hook up to the computer via USB or COM, and be incorporated into a program similar to Motherboard Monitor. In the event of too high water temps or flow rate failure, the computer would turn itself off and save your donkey!

A lesser model may have just an audible alarm built into the pump to warn of pump failure or flow restriction.

The companys pumps are already top-of-the-line pumps, similar to, (if not better than) the Eheim inline mag drives. All pumps have adjustable flow rates, and there are models that are rated up to 300gph, 600gph, and 900gph!

As for connections, I am going to have to check with the company again about that, but they look like they are about 1/2" or larger and can be swapped for different sizes.

As for price, that cannot be determined yet, because it would be relative to the demand for them. The more demand, the lower the price. They should not cost much more than what you would pay for a normal pump though.

If such a pump was made, would any of you guys get one? Answer in the poll above and let me know. I am going to be passing this information onto the manufacturer.

Thanks for your help!

~Tom

Last edited by Fujikuro; 20th September, 2002 at 02:42 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th September, 2002, 11:38 AM
Member/OES

Send a message via ICQ to Duckman

Question

Are there really noone that's the slightest interested in this?

CEO, DWPG.Com
Visit us at: DWPG.Com
e-mail: sverre@dwpg.com

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th September, 2002, 11:48 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

The idea sounds great, but price would be high. Is there any chance you could PM me their contact details? Im staff at spodesabode, and if they do indeed manufacture a pump along those lines It would be cool to get one for review.

Thanks

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 27th September, 2002, 03:52 PM

That does sound great to me, If we could get a pump designed to go into a computer, perhaps enclosing a small reservoir? with a monitoring system.

It would be simple to implement a sensor on the pumps impelller and output that to a fan header on the motherboard, for really easy MBM compatibility. Also wouldn't take your com ports up!

Id buy one if they were pretty cheap!

Dogs can never have too much fun! See Marge, Weee, weee, woo! wayhey! weeeeeeeee!!! -Homer
Old 29th September, 2002, 09:57 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
It would be simple to implement a sensor on the pumps impelller and output that to a fan header on the motherboard, for really easy MBM compatibility.
The impeller should be turning at the same speed all the time, as it's magnetically coupled to mains frequency. If the frequency goes up, so does the impeller speed.

A flow meter is still needed, as it's possible the impeller could be turning, but a blockage leaves the water stationary!

AidanII
Old 29th September, 2002, 10:03 PM

good point, i didn't really think that one through. A flow sensor is bound to slow the flow a little isnt it - i wonder if they can come up with a decent one, that doesnt just tell you if water is flowing, but shows you how many gph are being pumped - that would be really handy

Dogs can never have too much fun! See Marge, Weee, weee, woo! wayhey! weeeeeeeee!!! -Homer
Old 29th September, 2002, 11:59 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Fujikuro, when ever a manufacturer wants to enter a new market it is important that there should be someone who can represent that markets needs to them. Thanks for taking the trouble to try and make our needs clear!

We may all one day have better service because of such efforts.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 30th September, 2002, 02:34 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

That sounds awful expensive but then again I have an $80 HSF.

I agree that a flow sensor on the return would be the way to go. You could hook it up to the fan header for the cpu fan. Then have a program bundled with it that could shut down your system for low flow. this would not only shut the PC down for a blockage, but also for pump failure or gosh forbid a hose poping off.

Also something that would be really neat is if it came built into a small resivor that screwed right into 2 adjacent 5 1/4" bays. anyone with a full tower or server tower probibly has 2 empty 5 1/4" bays. and if not it would already be a small cube with pre taped holes that would be easy to mount.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 30th September, 2002, 02:41 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Sounds like the next logical step. They did it with fans, now why not with pumps. I don't think the electronics would be all that hard to implement anyways.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 2nd October, 2002, 08:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

I don't know if it would make that big a differnece to me. It would be nice to know when my pump fails though.