AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th September, 2002, 07:42 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Water Cooling for an Amateur

I was looking at the Watercooling Gallery and Orbit's set up has made me, for the first time, consider water cooling. I always thought before that it was compulsory to have loads of pipes and buckets and my wifes a bit enthusiastic with the Vacuum cleaner.

I know you guys will be more than happy to help but are there any other good sites I should look at for more information before making a decision.
Old 20th September, 2002, 08:39 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

DangerDen Products

Swift Tech's Page

Koolance Site

Overclocker's Site

Directron

AMDMB Pump Article

This should be enough to get you started and totally confused on which way to go... heh

Hope I didn't open up a can of worms in your bank account over this...

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th September, 2002, 08:59 PM

Thanks Orbit. Ever since I found out about ocing my banks been in trauma

I read your article. Had you done something like that before and what were the biggest probs you had?
Your set up is the first time I've seen a wc setup that I could live with. Its got to go in a spare bedroom which gets used most weekends. I dont like folk touching my current set up far less something with water.
Old 20th September, 2002, 10:22 PM

No, this was my first attempt at h20... the noise of all the fans I had was my motivation, primarily, the cooling benefit secondary, as I'm not a full-out overclocker trying to wring every Hz out of my system. I can't afford replacement parts, actually, or I'd probably be tweaking a little more.
Hardest part? I don't think there were any issues, as I'd planned it out in advance, and then just had to innovate along the way. I think it took a couple of weeks of doing something, stepping back and looking at it again and again.. Like I said on the site, it's really not brain surgery.. hehe..
I will never go air again, at least on a 'big' system.
No big problems, either. Probably the worst was getting all the air bubbles out the way I had it initially setup. I then put a 't' in the highest point of the lines, and put about an 8" length of tube to fill it and collect air. That works well.
Had to add a couple of 120mm ac fans, as the original one, although looking like a jet, actually didn't pull any air through. Not enough power. Then again, I didn't expect much from a $6 fan. heh.

It's very much quieter now, and very much cooler. I probably get a good 10 C drop on the CPU from air, usually running mid 30's C on the cpu. Sometimes it gets up to 41 when gaming hard, but that's nowhere near the danger zone, so I'm happy overall.

Good Luck to you man... It also is a trip to tell your geek friends that you have a water cooled computer. You'll see.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th September, 2002, 10:57 PM

Damn it Orbit, your making it sound easy!!
Thanks again. I'll come back once I've had the time to go through those sites.
Old 20th September, 2002, 11:24 PM

hehe...
I spent a good couple of weeks daily looking at other people's systems. Pictures helped out a LOT. And then reading the pro's and con's of different styles. I don't use the submersible pump, as the Eheim is 'both' (depending on how you use it), and it's a commercial quality thing, with replaceable parts.
The water block was another biggie. I read a LOT of reviews on different brands, and settled for the one I have, as I couldn't find an Inovatek big block, but then again, about 1/2 the price for the DD Maze 3.
I also just use 3/8" tubing throughout, medical grade silicon, I believe, as it stretches nicely over the 1/2" fittings on my rad and the Eheim. And I also scrapped those goofy clamps that Danger Den sent with the kit... they don't really tighten all that well, and I used two really really tight nylock wire ties on each fitting.
Keep us posted !! Take pics, too... we ALL like looking at pictures

Old 21st September, 2002, 09:36 AM

I would not recommend a submersible pump unless you want a lot of mucking around, I've had countless problems with my reservoir leaking and making rattling all due to having a pump inside it, I'm considering moving to a inline pump soon so that I can do away with my submersible.
Old 22nd September, 2002, 02:41 AM

Im still a big fan of submerging the pump.

It makes filling the system so much easyer.

I prevented vibration by hanging my pump from nylon so its not touching anything. I can say that bar fans my system is totaly silent, you cannot tell if the pump (eheim1250) is on or off.

Another good place to look at is www.coolhardware.co.uk Dod, some very knolegable UK watercoolers hang out there.

I just got a new block from www.overclockedpc.co.uk and its looking very promising so far, ill start another thread with details and pics.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 3rd October, 2002, 09:28 PM

Thanks for all the advice and links. Looking at it again I don’t have that many options. I don’t have room for a separate big reservoir like some in the gallery and my case (oem mid tower) means that it cant go in the case unless I get a new full tower. To be honest I’m not sure that I like the idea of everything in the case anyway (less easy to change things about) so it look s like something like Orbits’.

Looking at components just a few questions.
Waterblock standard seems to be Maze 3. How much better than Maze 2 was it? I’m just thinking of Holst’s comments re his new block. Has any one tried the model down from holsts (Atlantis CPU Water block) and got any thoughts on it. It looks good but I dont know.

http://www.overclockedpc.co.uk/produ...roducts_id=111

There is only the one review I can find and the same guy reviews the TEC and both are the best ever. Or is the waterblock Holst just got worth the extra few quid? I doubt that I’ll go for anything beyond water, but you never know.

I’m going to have to build a case of some kind for this so I’m able to look at submerged or closed. Eheim 1250 a good choice? Also if I go for a submerged arrangement would a 5litre res be enough. I’m thinking of something about the size of one of those big ice cream tubs. Or would that be too small to prevent turbulence and let air in to the system? Also is the 1250 12V or 120/240V? I dont even see that on Eheim site.

Regarding water flow and temperature. Is it advisable to include a flow meter and/or temp sensor. If a temp sensor should be fittedwhere in the circuit is the best place for it. Pump inlet/outlet, Rad Inlet/outlet? I can see why they would be nice to know but how valuable are they in the real world?

Rad, I hope will be from a Polo or similar but not having much luck sourcing one. Because its aluminium whats the best additive to help prevent corrosion? So many different opinions I’m confused. Is it just antifreeze?

Sorry for all the questions but I just want to try to get as much right first time as I can. Thnx in advance.
Old 3rd October, 2002, 10:06 PM

The TEC block I have just has 4 extra holes in the base and comes with a coldplate, the design of the block internally is the same on normall and TEC versions.

the 1250 is a very good pump (as i use) it runs from 240v.
I can make you up a relay box so that it will turn on with your PC to save forgetting to turn it on/off if you want.

Go for 1/2" silicone tubing, its the best by a long way. Makes installing your system into your case so much easyer.

I dont use a flow meter but i do have a cheap maplins temperature sensor to check water temp, its nice to see how well your rad is coping.

Ive just got myself a OCPC Abyss rad too, mainly because i dont have time to go heatercore hunting.

My current setup sits next to my PC and is pretty neat (ive got a smaller res from B&Q as well.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 4th October, 2002, 01:33 PM

Thanks all, choices made. Now to build it.:nervous: :nervous:

Holst I really appreciate the suggestion of the relay. I'll PM you when I'm ready if thats okay with you. It'll be a couple of weeks or so before I get everything ready
Old 4th October, 2002, 05:43 PM

Don't forget pictures !!!
Glad you're taking the plunge... oh, hey, a pun !! hehe

Good Luck, and may the (Ge)Force be with ya !!

Once you get past the little engineering baubles along the way, you're gonna love it, I bet. I certainly like running low temps.
Weather's cooling off here in the mountains now, and right now, my CPU is at 28C.

Old 4th October, 2002, 06:20 PM

Thanks Orbit, owe you one.

And yes I'll get pictures. Only thing is I dont have a digicam just now. I went back to 35mm a while ago when the early digis just didnt have the quality.

This could be a slow project. I readily admit to being technically challenged.