AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd September, 2002, 02:49 AM

New waterblock

This block is a Atlantis from (********.Com)
I bought it to replace my Maze-2 as I can use a TEC with this block (planning a 220watt system in the next week or two)

But for now im just running it without the coldplate straight watercooled.

Temperatures so far are significantly lower than my maze-2, im not sure how accurate my measurements are so far, but I can now post at 2gig (couldt before) and I can run 1950mhz stable so far (only 1900 before)

Plus it looks great even if the surface finish isnt all that shiny (surfaces are however VERY flat, just not polished)
Attached Thumbnails
New waterblock-atlantis1.jpg  

Best of luck in the future all my friends.

Last edited by Daniel ~; 6th October, 2002 at 08:41 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd September, 2002, 02:50 AM

Top view
Attached Thumbnails
New waterblock-atlantis2.jpg  

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd September, 2002, 02:53 AM

View of internal channel design.

Flowrate is very high on this block (no numbers yet but higher than the maze-2
Attached Thumbnails
New waterblock-atlantis5.jpg  

Old 22nd September, 2002, 03:01 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Nice looking design for basic watercooling, but I think you will be disappointed for TEC cooling. A 220W Qmax TEC will put at 600W load on the waterblock, that block like every other block currently manufactured is not engineered with such loads in mind. You want a parrallel micro-channel(0.060" channels, 0.120" walls) block machined from 1 inch thick copper bar stock for such cooling endeavors.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 22nd September, 2002, 05:18 PM

Im sorry about this I need to host this pic so I can sell my maze-2

Look isnt it all shiny and stuff ... :P
Attached Thumbnails
New waterblock-maze21.jpg  

Old 22nd September, 2002, 05:19 PM

Heres another.
Attached Thumbnails
New waterblock-maze22.jpg  

Old 24th September, 2002, 12:21 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Ive seen those blocks before, look funky, would love to have one for my article for spode (which currently looks like its going down the pan )

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 24th September, 2002, 09:10 PM

Spodes getting a review from me

Is there anything I can do to help with yours ?

Old 24th September, 2002, 11:17 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Other than lending me the block to include with the others not really! and to be honest there wont be much of a need.

Is that Maze2 a 1/2" one? I have spodes 3/8 here, but it cripples flow, and wont really be a good comparison to the rest of the blocks (mostly 1/2")

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 25th September, 2002, 12:49 PM

*EDIT*
In the normal course of things Holst's posting of a link to the source of his water block would have been just fine. However given the extencive lee-way AOA has granted, (due in large part to our readers interest level and the LACK of any attempt to link to a point of sale).

I'll have to prohibit any links that by their presents would turn this into a sales promotional.
Daniel ~
*END OF EDIT*

I had to sell the maze 2 to help finance the TEC upgrade.

If you did want to send me another socket A block that i can use for a week we can swap blocks so you can test the atlantis, although if you contacs jess at (***********) he might send you a review block anyway.

Last edited by Daniel ~; 6th October, 2002 at 08:19 PM.
Old 25th September, 2002, 02:01 PM

I know a friend of his, i'll ask them.

Ill probably be able to swap blocks with you no problem once a couple more arrive!

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 5th October, 2002, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Nice looking design for basic watercooling, but I think you will be disappointed for TEC cooling. A 220W Qmax TEC will put at 600W load on the waterblock, that block like every other block currently manufactured is not engineered with such loads in mind. You want a parrallel micro-channel(0.060" channels, 0.120" walls) block machined from 1 inch thick copper bar stock for such cooling endeavors.
I guess I will have to correct you.

I designed the block - it is a high flow , high surface block that can easy handle output of a 220W and a 120W CPU. It was designed for High loads in mind, and also maximum surface area without restriction.
And the comment regarding basic waterblock I take as an insult , it far from basic, allot of R&D did go into our design to get to this stage, we did not just draw it on a bit of paper adn think "yeah that will be good enough". We are engineers, who design units for specific goals.
The only other manufacturer that possibly do as much delevopment is Silverprop, I don't have much regard for many other designs currently on the market.
. Random, if you mail me I will sort out a loan block for you to do your review with.
Old 5th October, 2002, 11:24 PM

Im going to try and sort out the TEC by next weekend so we shall see if the block is upto it or not.......

From my current results im pretty confident.

I decided to buy a Abyss rad from OCPC too, with 4 120mm fans and a shroud water temps is 2*c above ambient (my innacurate temperarure guage though).
The shroud is a bit ugly but its working well. I didnt get very good airflow untill I made the shroud as the rad is quite restrictive and needs pressure to get the air flowing (hence 4 fans two sucking two blowing)
At 7v these maplins fans are quiet enough and they only cost me £6 each.
Attached Thumbnails
New waterblock-rad1.jpg  

Old 5th October, 2002, 11:26 PM

Thats a new res too, smaller with the pump still hung from mylon to prevent vibration.

On the top is clingfilm and some condensation so it looks a bit messy in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
New waterblock-rad2.jpg  

Old 6th October, 2002, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jessfm

And the comment regarding basic waterblock I take as an insult
I dont think Jeff meant that as an Insult, just his opinion, he messes around making his own blocks, and from what ive heard blow a lot of comercial blocks out of the water! I've heard good things about the OCPC blocks, and I'll just email you about the review.

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 6th October, 2002, 07:50 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I Have to agree with R.N I believe that "Basic" referred to a water block used in the more conventional manner, rather than one used to cool a tech.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 6th October, 2002, 08:33 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

In the normal course of things Holst's posting of a link to the source of his water block would have been just fine. However given the extensive lee-way AOA has granted, (due in large part to our readers interest level and the LACK of any attempt to link to a point of sale).

I'll have to prohibit any links that by their presents would turn this into a sales promotional.(Which of course it has already become.) This of course includes links on this product by our membership. I see nor place any fault here, with our readership. I'm am posting this to prevent this from drifting any closer into a violation of our forum rules. Which it would seem this approach by the manufacturer was well planed to circumvent.
Daniel ~
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 6th October, 2002 at 08:43 PM.
Old 6th October, 2002, 09:15 PM

Sorry dan, this wasnt meant to sound like a sales promotion, although I am very impressed with the product.

I should have linked to the manufacturers site not the point of sale.

This is www.ocpc.co.uk.

Can you please delete those maze-2 pics, i only posted them as I dont have a email pic host. (this must be against the rules but i cant delete them as you changed the editing rules)

Old 7th October, 2002, 02:26 PM

Nice setup Holst. Having the reservoir and radiator externally helps in controlling overall temps.I guess you use additives in the water eg -bleach or a corrosion inhibitor to control bacteria and the like.

That hosing is what 16mm.....?

It would be intesting to compare the Silverprop C5 and Atlantis on the same setup. Just to see the results.

Good luck with it.

Old 7th October, 2002, 03:11 PM

If somebody wants to send me a silverprop for a few days id be happy to test.

Rad with shrouds is doing very well now water is staying 2-3*c above ambient with a approximate 140watt load (assuming pump is 20wats which seems reasonable)

Tubinf is 1/2" thick walled silicone, id never use anything other than silicone.
The barbs on the rad are 14mm to reduce restriction, this works pretty well, flowrarte seems pretty good (not done any real measurments)