AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th October, 2001, 05:29 AM

Send a message via ICQ to William Send a message via AIM to William

Duron 700-900

You think a chrome orb will decently cool this puppy? I have one and would not like to have to buy a new heatsink. it just going to be a folding box and maybe a take to the lan party box.

Allied Sites Support Team - Content/Design (director)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th October, 2001, 06:31 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

It might be OK, but it won't be that good. Maybe if you just don't OC it, it will stay at reasonable temps . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th October, 2001, 07:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

YUCK! I hate em, but if you don't overclock it, and are careful, you'll be fine.
Old 29th October, 2001, 07:30 AM
eobard

You may get by if you undervolt it. Just run it at stock speeds and under cut the stock voltage by .1-.15v. My 800 took a 17% overclock at stock voltage fine. Just make sure you don't let everyone know you're going to use one of those things or people might lose respect for you.
Old 29th October, 2001, 11:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to William Send a message via AIM to William

its not like I WANT to use one of those, but I got a couple a while back when I found them for $5 and thought they might make good chipset coolers. I will probably put an SVC Golden Gate on it eventually. And yeah, it is just a temporary solution.

Allied Sites Support Team - Content/Design (director)
Old 30th October, 2001, 08:37 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

While Durons don't rival their more capable siblings in heat production while run at "stock," all of the K7 family are hot, hot, hot!! processors.

'Fraid that this chrome pos just isn't up to the task, even at stock. Thermaltake's marketing was very shrewd. They simply rode the coat tails of the "ooh's" and "ahh's" generated by the original H-P Polar Logic "Orb's."

There are still people that believe that their original GORB's are high performance HSF's. Poor deluded idiots!

Why not slap a $20(including Delta 38) Vantec FCE-62450D on it? These feature the easiest to use steel clip that there is, AFAIK.

This econo-HSF may not be up to the task of cooling an OC'd Duron when summer rolls around, btw.
Old 6th November, 2001, 06:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Re: Duron 700-900

Quote:
Originally posted by William
You think a chrome orb will decently cool this puppy? I have one and would not like to have to buy a new heatsink. it just going to be a folding box and maybe a take to the lan party box.
Hell, ill send you a better heatsync then that! or try the gladiator for $16- works great for my friends tbird 1.2 at 1.4 -46c room temp oof 39c

Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 6th November, 2001, 03:41 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

What is stock voltage on the particular Duron you are looking at? I know they go as low as 1.5. My dead 800 defaulted at 1.6.

The lower the stock voltage, the better your chances of not overheating. Just stating the obvious.. don't shoot me.

SteveI.
Old 7th November, 2001, 02:00 PM
AOA Staff

Tt vocano 6cu = coolerguys has them for 10$ and is donating the money to the american red cross. this will make your Duron very happy
Old 8th November, 2001, 04:14 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by surlyjoe
Tt vocano 6cu = coolerguys has them for 10$ and is donating the money to the american red cross. this will make your Duron very happy
Is that the 6cu or the 6cu+? There's a big difference, noise and performance wise. The "+" version is the one with the 7,000rpm fan that roars like a lion and cools like a lion (a lion that cools anyway). The sinks are the same and they are massive. I was tinkering around in my machine and when I put the door back on I dislodged the fan connector. My system ran for an hour without the cpu fan on and my cpu temp only got to 59c before the system gave a spontaneous reboot!!!!! It crashed, but it didn't burn!!!!! Running stable now.
Old 21st November, 2001, 08:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to 286 Rocks

My dad got one for his Duron 700 and just let me say they are the biggest PITA to put on! There clip absolutly sucks! As far as cooling goes It does the job; it just does it crappy.