AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Cooling & Temperature Monitoring (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/34-cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/)
-   -   What is the name of that tubing I bought? (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/15731-what-is-name-tubing-i-bought.html)

up2Tim 12th March, 2003 09:00 PM

What is the name of that tubing I bought?

I bought some tubing to replace the PVC in my water cooled rig and I can't remember what it was called.

It's that surgical quality stuff.

It was Tyvec or something like that.

Anybody got any ideas what I'm talking about and where I can get some?

Invalid 12th March, 2003 09:19 PM

u might be talking about Tygon....u can get it from DangerDen...

http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Misc_Hardware/tubing.asp

Ross

up2Tim 12th March, 2003 09:51 PM

That's it--thanks

up2Tim 12th March, 2003 09:55 PM

You can also get it at US Plastics
HERE

Invalid 13th March, 2003 11:18 PM

np m8...i ordered some myself...tell me if its any good...

Ross

Random Nonsense 14th March, 2003 12:34 AM

Tygon is fairly hard from waht I've seen of it...

Invalid 14th March, 2003 08:49 AM

as in hard to bend?...or just generall tough material so it lasts...

Ross

Random Nonsense 14th March, 2003 09:42 AM

hard as in.. um hard! It bends reasonably but not as well as silicone, and it doesnt kink easily.

Invalid 14th March, 2003 11:19 AM

...so thats a good thing, right:D

up2Tim 15th March, 2003 03:28 PM

At US Plastics there is a large selection of tubing.

I chose R-3603 with 3/32" thick wall.

This is the same type I used last time and it worked fine.

I had some problems with chemical reaction/ corrosion and have to swap everything out. I was going to just clean out the existing tubing and reuse it. I thought about it and decided a clean start would be best.

The Tygon tubing I have is soft and flexible and pretty tough. Almost impossible to kink it.

I decided to get some Tygon because I was loosing a little water every couple weeks and read somewhere that it may have been due to leaching through the PVC tubing walls by capillary action.

After changing the tube there is no more mysterious loss of water.

Now I need to get the copper and aluminum to play nice together.

Invalid 15th March, 2003 03:31 PM

sounds like i ordered the right stuff then...:D

Ross

up2Tim 15th March, 2003 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Invalid
sounds like i ordered the right stuff then...:D

Ross

You'll like it.

Invalid 15th March, 2003 03:39 PM

i hope so...BIG dissapointment if i screw up my first W/C system with bad tubeing :(, do you know how many GPH can be fed through a w/c system before it starts blowing off the tubing connectors and suck like...i was tempted to order the Ehiem 1260 600GPH pump...

Thanks

Ross

up2Tim 15th March, 2003 03:53 PM

I guess that would depend on the diameter of tube compared with the diameter of connector and also the type of clamp used to secure everything.

I chose a diameter of tubing that would fit snuggly over the connector. I probably don't need a clamp at all but I use tie-wraps sinched down slightly.

You may want to assemble your cooling system and run a test period to check for leaks and discover any bugs you might have.

It will leave you a feeling little more confident for a good reason.

Have fun :)

Invalid 15th March, 2003 03:59 PM

hehe, yea ill let it run for a day...in the end i decided to settle for the 317GPH pump, after all i am only using 2 waterblocks...are pumps noticeably noisy, because i really want it to be a wuite system so i can leave things downloading while i sleep...kinda hard to get to sleep at the mo with 5 49Db fans working away lol...

Ross

Invalid 15th March, 2003 04:00 PM

oh yer...and do pumps run off the mains or off the PSU?...cus my PSU is pathetic:(

thanks

Ross

up2Tim 17th March, 2003 01:06 AM

I guess it depends on what type of pump you decide to get. Some run off the PSU and others plug into the wall.

I think Eheim pumps plug into the wall.

As far as the GPH issue goes--If you push the water through the system too quickly it might not sit in the radiator long enough to exchange the heat. If the water moves too slowly then heat builds up. The size of your radiator (how many fans on radiator? What size and speed of fans) and diameter of tube must be considered.

HERE is a link with some info you might find useful.

HERE is another link you can poke around and find some more info.

Have fun and stay cool :thumbsup:

Invalid 17th March, 2003 02:40 PM

cool, thanks, up2tim im gettin the black ice extreme with 1 120mm fan on it.
cheers for the links

ross

Random Nonsense 17th March, 2003 03:22 PM

Its pressure that blows hoses. Even without clamps on my 600gph+ 5.5m head pump and crappy pvc tube I was fine until i rocked the pump, the movement caused a hose to ping off! If you use some form of clamp you will be fine.

Invalid 17th March, 2003 03:33 PM

...sounds nasty...i ordered some of the crappy looking clamps from dangerden with my kit...

Ross