AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Cooling & Temperature Monitoring (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/34-cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/)
-   -   Once upon a time, the Alpha PEP-66 was the best.. (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/1730-once-upon-time-alpha-pep-66-a.html)

cloasters 9th December, 2001 07:52 AM

Once upon a time, the Alpha PEP-66 was the best..

The Alpha PEP-66 was the top of the line HSF roughly two and a half years ago. It was the most expensive HSF available at the time and was designed specifically for use on Slockets.

I'm giving my brother my P3B-F Slot 1 P3E 600 machine for Christmas. As my PEP-66 is the only Slocket HSF I have, I want to get rid of, ahem, I want him to have it for the Slocketed P3E. Perhaps the wimpy wire clip for the PEP-66 got stretched a bit when I tried it on a S370 mainboard. Maybe a S370 Celly has a different "geometry" than a FC-PGA CPU and this "tired out" the wire clip.

I ordered a stronger Version 2 wire clip for the Alpha from 2cooltek. This new clip is a good deal wider and getting it between the fins of the HS distorts it a lot. It needs forcing, and by the time it reaches the point where it will engage the lugs of the S370 it's bent far out of true. It required fiddling with so that no light could be seen through the top of the CPU/bottom of the HS junction. The upshot is that a GW FOP-38 works a little better, using an identical Delta screamer.

Maybe the crux of the biscuit is that a new $5 clip does not a new heatsink make!

Daniel ~ 9th December, 2001 08:00 AM

Ah, the memories!....sigh....":O}

WinXP 11th December, 2001 10:18 PM

I still have 2 of the alpha pep66, ver.1 an ver.2. They where great with the intel P3 chips.

Kris 12th December, 2001 05:18 AM

Isn't (according Zappa) the, "crux of the biscuit the apostrophe?"

:D :D

Dave 12th December, 2001 07:02 PM

Lol, i have soo many heatsinks from yesteryear....

First there was the bigass globalwin thing for my SLot Athlon.. one that came with the ducting and everything.
Then I upgraded to Socket A! And got a FOP38.... then at a comp fair i bought a no-name sink that kicked its ass for 8quid..
Then Spode needed a duron for his heatsink roundup, so i swapped a duron600 (which originally came from him somehow, i dont remember) for a WBK68 and another of the NO-name sinks.
Then, the fan on the WBK decided to shoot a fin, so it became a WBK 38 with the fop38 fan..
The noise annoyed me soo much i went and bought a Taisol 760 from Tekheads, and killed the fan about an hour after getting it (same fan as WBK68, had worlds most fragile blades! innovative POS)
I had dabbled with watercooling on and off in that time, and picked up about 7or8 no-name heatsink from comp fair which looked interesting....

Now I'm watercooled with a Swiftech MCW462b - Dunno how i managed with the fop noise for so long! Still with my forst socket A processor, trust duron800@1000 ish (its a moody bastard)

Random Nonsense 12th December, 2001 11:39 PM

dave are u the dave off spodes abode then?

Dave 12th December, 2001 11:42 PM

yep, thats me!