AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Cooling & Temperature Monitoring (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/34-cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/)
-   -   Moffets Cooling?? (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/18407-moffets-cooling.html)

Daniel ~ 4th June, 2003 10:51 PM

Moffets Cooling??

Where to find good heat sinks for the 8RDA+ Moffett chips (SP) and which ones to buy. Prefer not to have to modify the sinks. Can handel attaching them ":O} TIA.

cloasters 4th June, 2003 11:00 PM

I think "MOSFET" might be the right word? This is the little clock chip(?) that's often close to the "West" edge of the m'board? And it does get hot. In days of old people cut a small chunk from a larger heatsink. Perhaps they are pre-cut nowadays?

Daniel ~ 4th June, 2003 11:03 PM

Thats what I'm hoping!

Holst 4th June, 2003 11:26 PM

Its not worth doing dan, just put an 80mm fan over them and you will be fine.

Ive not needed too heatsink mine and ive probably got more amps draw than anybody.

All ive dont is double sided taped an 80mm fan right over the top right of the board and put it on 7v.

Daniel ~ 4th June, 2003 11:33 PM

Thanks Matt! I have a 80mm fan in place ( to cool the heat sinks, you see. ":O} so I'll just skip the H.S.'s and call it good to go.

Nate-X 5th June, 2003 03:31 PM

That's what I was wondering too as far as any precut sinks for the mosfets.. Could I see a pic of your setup Holst?

SteveI 5th June, 2003 03:58 PM

The closest thing I can think of is video card memory sinks. Specialty cooling shops carry them, and they are pretty small.

dod 5th June, 2003 04:13 PM

These, the copper ones, are what I've been using for the last couple of months. TBH though I haven't been able to achieve more than 210, just the same as stock.

CCW 5th June, 2003 05:23 PM

You want heatsinks the size of TinyBGA modules of you dont wanan mod em, tweakmonster do em

Craig

Daniel ~ 5th June, 2003 06:31 PM

Thanks to you all! But Holst had me at:

"Wait Dan your too lazy to cool them if you don't have to and way to cheap to buy them if you don't have to!..." I'll wait and see if I have to! ":O}

Nate-X 5th June, 2003 07:40 PM

Holst what kind of fan are you using to cool the mosfets?

Matt McFaul 20th June, 2003 03:05 PM

mosfet cooling

1 Attachment(s)
delta 80x35....yes its loud

cloasters 20th June, 2003 06:44 PM

Re: mosfet cooling

Quote:

Originally posted by Matt McFaul
delta 80x35....yes its loud
Wow, thumbscrews to mount the 80 mm. Is Matt hardcore, or what?!

ichorid 20th June, 2003 10:05 PM

if ur increasing nbridge volts, mosphet cooling is a must!

cut up an old sink, or buy tweak monster ramsinks

even if not overclocking, cooler = stabler:cool:

Matt McFaul 21st June, 2003 02:06 AM

lol,

thumbscrews are great...especially when you are always checking for condesation....Im paranoid like that. Notice the discolored coil under the delta??? Im wondering if this is like fanning a flame cause I didnt notice that untill I put the delta up there.

cloasters 21st June, 2003 02:18 AM

Re: lol,

Quote:

Originally posted by Matt McFaul
thumbscrews are great...especially when you are always checking for condesation....Im paranoid like that. Notice the discolored coil under the delta??? Im wondering if this is like fanning a flame cause I didnt notice that untill I put the delta up there.
Now that you point it out, that coil looks literally toasted to that elusive golden brown. Whatever the Delta is cooling, it's gotta be hot! I wonder if a mini heatsink on the(I assume) MOSFET chip will help? Perhaps a HS that's bigger than the chip won't hurt.

Matt McFaul 21st June, 2003 03:08 AM

lol

look just to the left of the coil....nice shinny tin coated copper heatsinks on the mosfets....I know hard to see.. but really thats just what happens when you run the vcore at over 2.1v for an extended period of time. I figure at the way things are improving so fast Ill prolly only have this board for another week or two anyway so what the heck...why not play a few hours of ut2k3 instagib while oc'ed....lol. It WAS stable for a while...hehe.

Holst 21st June, 2003 05:34 PM

I use a liberated PSU fan thatsa stuck to the case side with double sided tape on one edge.

Its not high airflow (its the opposite) but it dosent take all that much to keep the board cool.

robbie 21st June, 2003 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SteveI
The closest thing I can think of is video card memory sinks. Specialty cooling shops carry them, and they are pretty small.
I have some that I can bring you when I come up. I hope your willing to wait a month?!!?

Rob

cloasters 21st June, 2003 06:03 PM

Matt Mcfaul, while links to 3DMark scores are OK, we don't permit other links in Member's Sigs. The "My webpage" link must be removed. Sorry to put vinegar in your cornflakes this morning!