AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Cooling & Temperature Monitoring (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/34-cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/)
-   -   Nobody watercooling? (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/1902-nobody-watercooling.html)

Qube 20th December, 2001 01:29 AM

Nobody watercooling?

Came in here to stir up some trouble and help on watercooling but alas... no one take the plunge? :rolleyes:

Allan 20th December, 2001 02:01 AM

Hey Qube, welcome to our forums!

I have to ask you to remove the picture in your signature, sorry, forum policy not to let members have pictures in sigs. ;)

Anyway, there are lots of people running watercooled setups in here. Just wait and see, I'm sure whatever experience you have can benefit others.

Again, welcome to our forums - I really hope you stick around! :)

Daniel ~ 20th December, 2001 03:02 AM

I run one Swifteck P-111 and one Swifteck AMD setup, love'em both.

Qube 20th December, 2001 03:38 AM

Signature. Done. I'm a refugee from the Guru3D.com forums. Held the AMD and cooling guru positions over there. Sure, I have my own store (shameless plug) but it's nice to be part of a greater good ;)

BTW I found out from Compu-geeks.

Superman 20th December, 2001 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Qube
Signature. Done. I'm a refugee from the Guru3D.com forums. Held the AMD and cooling guru positions over there. Sure, I have my own store (shameless plug) but it's nice to be part of a greater good ;)

BTW I found out from Compu-geeks.

Cool! I heard about the Guru3d thing, really sorry about that. I think it was nvnews that lead me there originally, I never posted, but looked around a bit. I don't watercool, but wanted to say "Wazzup" :p

Daniel ~ 20th December, 2001 04:59 AM

Welcome cube, so like, what happen at Guru3D.com ? Fill me in dude!

Qube 20th December, 2001 05:03 AM

Hey, it's Mr. QUBE to you :p Anyhoot. Playnet, Guru3D hosting affiliate, pulled the plug. Five years and one email later, Guru3D goes down in five days. A dozen other affiliates tumble also. It was one hype place, esp the forums. Even during the last day, there were over 20 new registrations.

Myself and other Guru3D mods stayed there till the final Page Not Found.
*NOTE*
This post edited by Daniel Edgar
BBS Admin.
Sorry Cube no advertising in the forums.

Daniel ~ 20th December, 2001 05:27 AM

Sorry to hear of it's demise. Cube, there's a list of forum rules on our front page, thought you would like to know":O}

Wa11y 20th December, 2001 05:34 AM

What happened to all their files, Qube? Are they gone, or are they still accessable? Guru3D was one of the best places to get video card drivers.

Jen 20th December, 2001 05:36 AM

been under water for 2 yrs now...... h2o cooled

Jen

Wa11y 20th December, 2001 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jen
been under water for 2 yrs now...... h2o cooled

Jen

I'm thinking of getting into that stuff myself. I just gotta get me a rig setup. Which means not being poor. Which means not being Christmas time. So probably by next summer, I should be watercooled. And if I can find a cost effective way to do it, I'd like to be submerged, too.

Qube 20th December, 2001 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Wa11y
What happened to all their files, Qube? Are they gone, or are they still accessable? Guru3D was one of the best places to get video card drivers.
S'all gone. Kaput. There are SOME traces of it left here:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.guru3d.com

Loads pretty slow though, but it's there.

cloasters 20th December, 2001 11:35 PM

I never thought I'd get used to yet another Delta 38. It's ugly signature is somewhat lost among the other fans, but I can't run this box 24/7 anymore. It's just too dang annoying.

Candidly, water cooling scares me. It's not cheap, either. Boxes with H2O cooling in them don't look like PC's. They look like internal combustion engines from the not too distant future. If you've the inclination and the money, go for it.

Qube 21st December, 2001 01:40 AM

Well depends on how you look at it. A full kit will cost $99 USD. You never want to go back to fans once you get used to the silence! :D

WinXP 21st December, 2001 02:06 AM

I started water cooling alittle over a year ago. I dislike all the loud fans air cooling like a jet taking off. System is always quiet an temps are good an you can overclock a little higher. I still use the same water block (Dangerden Maze1), use a Danner 150gphr submersible pump, heater core from radiator shop an Comair Roton 235cfm fan wired for 7v. Temps at idle 37C with no cooling program or reg. hack, load 40C. Waiting for a new spir@l water block to come in, definitely not going back to air cooling any time soon. Cost 90.00 an some time.

Jen 21st December, 2001 03:12 AM

DIY kits are about the best. Even then I was out this much

Dan Mag Drive 350 gph pump 45 shipped
Maze 2 spiral block with 1/2 inch barbs 45 dollars
Car Heater core after modification 30 dollars
Tank for resevior that was 8 dollars
Relay switch another 8 dollars
Then half inch water lines 75 cents a foot
Shroud for heater core custom made by me

So figure thats about as good as you get for a setup like this

Jen

dimmreaper 21st December, 2001 03:16 AM

I've been known to play with water from time to time . . . .

surlyjoe 21st December, 2001 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dimmreaper
I've been known to play with water from time to time . . . .
myself also :)

mrpcman 21st December, 2001 08:49 PM

I've been doing water cooling for almost 3 years now. I use BEcooling water blocks, and Dangerden Maze 2 water blocks(www.dangerden.com)

Holst 22nd December, 2001 07:51 PM

Ive been attempting to go watercooled for about a month now.

As im making everything (but the pump) myself its been fairly slow going.

ive probably been a bit too ambitious with my design but it should be good once its done.

As my 8KHA+ went up in smoke ive got all holiday free untill the RMA arrives so ive got some time to get some work done.

Im making a block similar in design to the maze 2-2 but with two waterchannels to improve water flow and more bolts holding the cold plate (12 in all) for when I go for a TEC.
Im planning on TEC cooling but I thought id better walk a little before I start running. My system will all be 1/2" and ive designed everything for high flow rates.

Ive managed to squeese 3.5M or copper tube (radiator) a 1 litre perspex reservoire and a eheim 1250 into my full tower case, although I may make a seperate umit to house a much larger radiator with the resevoire, pump and peltier PSU's im the future.

one advantage of building everything yourself is that it cuts costs allot. I think the entire system will cost about £100, although with the stuff I will have left over I could probably build another system for half that.