AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Cooling & Temperature Monitoring (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/34-cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/)
-   -   The Making of a MONSTER (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/2282-the-making-of-a-monster.html)

ItHuNkPuNk 13th January, 2002 08:35 AM

The Making of a MONSTER

Ok.. I took the plunge.. I went Intel..

I just bought a 1.8Ghz P4 and want to overclock it to 2.1 or so..

Any Ideas on whats a good CPU fan for this application? Theres so many different reviews, I don't know what to pick. Later in the future I might consider waterblocking but for now i'm gonna settle for whatever I can get that isn't wet..

I also got a temp monitor called Compu Nurse.. ya slap that right on top of the cpu before heatsink to get best readout right?

surlyjoe 13th January, 2002 09:09 AM

well the P4 doesnyt have th eraised die, so youll have to put it on he side , or in the sink fins, if you put it "between" the two, the sink wouldnt make contact.

ItHuNkPuNk 13th January, 2002 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by surlyjoe
well the P4 doesnyt have th eraised die, so youll have to put it on he side , or in the sink fins, if you put it "between" the two, the sink wouldnt make contact.
ah.. didn't think of that.. thx.. any thoughts on the fan?

surlyjoe 13th January, 2002 01:06 PM

from what I hear, the stock intel solution is no slouch. unless your wanting to go copper, it may be A-OK

Pinky 13th January, 2002 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ItHuNkPuNk

any thoughts on the fan?

The stock fan might not quite cut it above 2.0ghz Seen many a overclock with cores above 50C under full load and only a stock fan.

Holst 13th January, 2002 04:33 PM

You shouldnt realy need a external probe witha P4 as it has a working on die thermistor.

If you download "motherboard monitor five" from www.aoafiles.com you will be able to keep a eye on those all important temperatures via windows.

As for the cooler surlyjoe is right, the stock heatsink is quite good.
Maybee you could juat fit a bigger fan as Pinky suggested, that would certainly be cheaper than buying a entire new heatsink.

ItHuNkPuNk 14th January, 2002 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Holst
You shouldnt realy need a external probe witha P4 as it has a working on die thermistor.

Oh yeah!.. forgot about that thing..

I did kinda want something I could use in Win/Linux/dos and while gaming so I didn't have to open a program.. I'll just have to compare the two till they're in sync..

ItHuNkPuNk 14th January, 2002 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pinky

The stock fan might not quite cut it above 2.0ghz Seen many a overclock with cores above 50C under full load and only a stock fan.

So what was the solution? If i'm hitting over 2.1 i've gotta get an aftermarket...
I don't mind getting a whole heatsink combo type thingy because its too hard to pick the right fan.. too many generics to choose from and i'm way lazy :D

*please don't say waterblock*

patti ~ 14th January, 2002 09:28 AM

"WATERBLOCK!"

:p :D

ItHuNkPuNk 14th January, 2002 09:49 PM

Re: "WATERBLOCK!"

Quote:

Originally posted by patti ~ "WATERBLOCK!"
:p :D
NOOOO!! don't say it!
oop! I just said it!!
OH NO!! I SAID IT AGAIN!! ARRRRRGGGHHH...

I would just like to close by saying....... Ni!.... and my next case mod shall be...... A SHRUBBERY!!

patti ~ 14th January, 2002 10:06 PM

A Shrubbery! Ni! Ni!:eek:

Holst 14th January, 2002 11:31 PM

If you want a bigger heatsink then im not sure what to recomend.

If you dont mind paying for something good then a swiftech will allways be good.

check out the heatsink ratings ay overclockers.com and see what p4 heatsinks they think are good.

Obviously water is the ultimate, but its fairly expensive and quite a bit of trouble (and worry)

Have you tried cranking up the voltage a bit to overclock some more ?

ItHuNkPuNk 15th January, 2002 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Holst

Have you tried cranking up the voltage a bit to overclock some more ?

I haven't gotten all my parts yet, but when I get it all together, i'm gonna let it run at 2.1 for a while to see how it handles.

I know I could probably get this chip much higher but the problems is that every motherboard has its own personality and I have yet to experiment with Gigabyte.
(btw, SOYO boards personality toward me seem to say "***** YOU!")

Yeah.. Swiftech HSF sounds good, just don't know if it'll fit.. this Gigabyte board has a line of capicitors that may make things difficult.. may have to chop 'em out (WIIIIIITH... ... ... A HERRING!!) and put low profile ones in..

Dave 20th January, 2002 11:54 AM

chop em out sure, but DONT put low profile ones in, theyll most likely be of lower quilaty or something.. id just solder the original ones on a short length of wire, so you could lay them flat.

ItHuNkPuNk 20th January, 2002 12:12 PM

hmm.. didn't think about that.. and it does feel better sticking with OEM parts.. thanks for the advice!

Dave 20th January, 2002 12:55 PM

no problem - just try and stick with as short length of wire as possible so you dont introduce timiming problems or degrade the signal..