AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Cooling & Temperature Monitoring (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/34-cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/)
-   -   Intake filters. Worth the trouble? (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/2460-intake-filters-worth-the-trouble.html)

cloasters 21st January, 2002 10:05 PM

Intake filters. Worth the trouble?

Is the slight extra expense and work needed to install filters on intake fans worthwhile?
Naah. I like a Sargasso Sea of waving brown webs of dust hanging from nearly everything in my box after six weeks! The creepiness factor alone is worth the five hours of painstaking cleaning.

Need I add the "not?"

Jazz 22nd January, 2002 12:33 AM

They are soooooooo worth the trouble. In the house i used to live in it was soo dusty that i had to almost blow out my computer every 2 weeks. Instead i just bought some filters and there went my dust. Just remembering to clean them out was the hard part

eobard 22nd January, 2002 01:44 AM

Before I put a filter on the intake duct for my Volcano 6cu+ I'd have to clean my sink every 2 weeks at the latest. My temps would go up 5c as the crap got caked in. :rolleyes: Filters = good.

Superman 22nd January, 2002 02:01 AM

And where can you get these so-called "Intake filters" for cheap. :p

Jazz 22nd January, 2002 02:25 AM

You could either make them out of fabric they sell at most major hardware stores. The fabric or filter material is called air conditioner filter mesh. It is usualy sold with air filters. That is the cheapest way to go. I think i bought a 3ft x 3ft square for like $1.65 at my local hardware store. You can use velcro or a adthesive to attach it. If you use velcro you can take it off and wash it with water and good as new. Or you can go to coolerguys.com and they sell the same but a more finished grill with the filter built in.

Superman 22nd January, 2002 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jazz
You could either make them out of fabric they sell at most major hardware stores. The fabric or filter material is called air conditioner filter mesh. It is usualy sold with air filters. That is the cheapest way to go. I think i bought a 3ft x 3ft square for like $1.65 at my local hardware store. You can use velcro or a adthesive to attach it. If you use velcro you can take it off and wash it with water and good as new. Or you can go to coolerguys.com and they sell the same but a more finished grill with the filter built in.
I'll go the cheap way :p Thanks! BTW, you have the same name as my new dog :D

Jazz 22nd January, 2002 03:51 AM

Np thanks i think.....

eobard 22nd January, 2002 04:13 AM

I went with air conditioner filter material myself. Good and cheap.

-oden- 22nd January, 2002 06:23 PM

I've found that the long hair from my cat and the several fans in my case act as a team, creating some of the finest rugs this country has ever seen. OK, I need some filters too, hehe. Home Depot here I come!

surlyjoe 22nd January, 2002 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by -oden-
I've found that the long hair from my cat and the several fans in my case act as a team, creating some of the finest rugs this country has ever seen. OK, I need some filters too, hehe. Home Depot here I come!
kruft is pretty interesting stuff, especially in smokers machines, it gets all sticky and srtingy, kinda like brown cotton candy :P

-oden- 22nd January, 2002 07:58 PM

Quote:

kruft is pretty interesting stuff, especially in smokers machines, it gets all sticky and stringy, kinda like brown cotton candy :P
I didn't even know it had a name....kruft...I kinda like it. I've tought of selling off the wads of cat hair to the hair club for men. Think I could find a buyer?

cloasters 23rd January, 2002 02:26 AM

Cat hair gets into everything. The ~$4.00 foam filters and the "frames" that hold them work well for me. Before being a big spender(lol)I found that the anti-static sheets that are thrown into clothes driers work well. Just make sure that they've been used once, or more times--and don't use them if they have slits in them. Simply use masking tape to hold them in place over an intake grille. Stretch them tight enough to assure that they won't be sucked into the fan.

I've found that I need to wash the thin foam filters every five days, rain or shine. The cheap-Charlie anti-static sheets had to be replaced every six days, max.

-oden- 23rd January, 2002 04:49 AM

hmmm...dryer sheets huh? Does it make the case smell spring fresh too? I may just trade my cat for a new mobo anyway...he's kindo of a pain. Clawing up the furniture, eating all my goddamn puter wires...maybe I should set up a hot wire like in Christmas Vacation.

I'm not really wanting to hurt him, just stop chewing my damn wires!!!:mad:

surlyjoe 23rd January, 2002 05:14 AM

I just built my mom a "foxconn superfox" midtower that had a snap on thingy in the front to hold a dryer sheet! They call it something else, but thats what it is :rolleyes:

eobard 23rd January, 2002 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by -oden-
I'm not really wanting to hurt him, just stop chewing my damn wires!!!:mad:
I think I understand your problem, you wish to change the animal so he will not affect your residence. You need to change your residence to accomodate your cat.

-oden- 24th January, 2002 07:26 PM

Yeah, I've wrapped all the wires behind the desk, but there are always those few stragglers left out, like the cat5 cable, mouse and keys. He's getting better, but I have to lock him out of the room when I go to work...he likes to sleep on the keyboard or the monitor.....I think its just to pi$$ me off. All in all a good pet though, sleeps with me every night :D

eobard 24th January, 2002 10:17 PM

Unplug the keyboard when you're not home.

kplonk 26th January, 2002 01:42 AM

Any ideas what else could be used as a filter as i am having trouble finding air con filter paper. I was looking at cooker hood filters but they are too think, or does anyone know any distributor on the net??

Jazz 26th January, 2002 01:58 AM

Err where are you from? its small i may be able to mail you some.

kplonk 26th January, 2002 02:13 AM

Am from the UK What sort of resestance does it add