AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Cooling & Temperature Monitoring (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/34-cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/)
-   -   New idea (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/27132-new-idea.html)

alexkerhead 28th September, 2004 05:05 AM

New idea

Since I am stuck with a low end water cooler, I am going to get another $15 radiator, put it in a bucket of ice water, and play around..lol

XeroHouR 28th September, 2004 05:17 AM

i thought abotu water cooling a giant pelt on a radiator once. then i learned why that would suck. I think one day im gunna move my box over to the AC vent, crank it up and see what i can get :)

woodeirl 28th September, 2004 06:26 PM

tell us about what you get when you try that idea out bud :)

DiabloAbogado 28th September, 2004 08:16 PM

be careful though. Doing that would lower the water temp, not the ambient. This would create a situation for water to condense on your tubes and/or your waterblock.

The AC vent would lower water and case temps, thus not posing a risk.

alexkerhead 28th September, 2004 09:52 PM

Alright, I will do it, I hope for good results, then I will buy a small fridge for my soda and stuff, and run a raiator in there...muhahahahahaha

Kaitain 28th September, 2004 10:50 PM

You'll need to make sure that you either pump water through the fins outside the radiator, or you get a rad with quite thick and widely spaced fins. Otherwise water actually forms quite a good insulator when trapped in small spaces, just ask any owner of a wetsuit ;) As a general rule of thumb, the temperature of water inside the radiator will be about 5 Celsius higher than that in the bucket, in a pumped system.

alexkerhead 29th September, 2004 03:34 AM

It will be full of ice..

Logan 29th September, 2004 01:13 PM

Alex,

I actually had an idea I was kicking around. If you have one of those little college dorm refridgerators (you know, the "Beer Fridge"?) or you can get one at Wal-Mart for like $50, take it and drill a couple of holes through it and run your tubes and then turn the fridge down as far as it will go and mount your radiator and reservoir inside it. :D

alexkerhead 30th September, 2004 04:12 AM

lol, I said that earlier.. sort of..lol

Quote:

Alright, I will do it, I hope for good results, then I will buy a small fridge for my soda and stuff, and run a raiator in there...muhahahahahaha

Logan 30th September, 2004 12:56 PM

Ohhh. Must have missed that. Lol. It's a heckuva idea though.

Kaitain 30th September, 2004 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexkerhead
It will be full of ice..

Makes no difference. Water's only a good coolant if it's moving across the surface it's trying to cool.

Kaitain 30th September, 2004 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan
Alex,

I actually had an idea I was kicking around. If you have one of those little college dorm refridgerators (you know, the "Beer Fridge"?) or you can get one at Wal-Mart for like $50, take it and drill a couple of holes through it and run your tubes and then turn the fridge down as far as it will go and mount your radiator and reservoir inside it. :D

Careful with those, some of them are actually cooled by a peltier between two heat sinks. Not only do they take a day to cool your beer, but will definitely not do much to dissipate a hundred watts of heat being pumped into their "cold" side. If you can find a small phase-change fridge, fine. Just check that it has the power to pump that much heat.

alexkerhead 2nd October, 2004 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaitain
Makes no difference. Water's only a good coolant if it's moving across the surface it's trying to cool.

uh, explain why ice cold water wont make a difference please? :D

DiabloAbogado 2nd October, 2004 07:01 AM

I understand what Kait's saying, but I think it'll cool it down because the rad is metal and will transfer the energy (heat into the ice, thus lowering the metal's temp) to make a balance. Also, you'd have to change the ice often. I can only reiterate, becareful, because you may have to insulate your tubing.

alexkerhead 2nd October, 2004 07:05 AM

lol, i can handle the insulating.., but I am going to do a small fridge instead, not a pelt fridge, but a compressor pridge, so I am ordering a nice fridge for under my desk, and i will be able to have cold drinks and a cold pc..^>^

DiabloAbogado 2nd October, 2004 07:12 AM

Lol! Definitely let us know how it turns out!

NeVeRmiNd 2nd October, 2004 02:15 PM

Wouldn't putting your system by the AC vent cause condensation? I've seen my bathroom vent with droplets of water on it all the time, but never any of the other vents. (Perhaps from the heat of the hot shower water)?

danrok 2nd October, 2004 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeVeRmiNd
Wouldn't putting your system by the AC vent cause condensation? I've seen my bathroom vent with droplets of water on it all the time, but never any of the other vents. (Perhaps from the heat of the hot shower water)?

Should be safe so long as the PC is running.

It would be safer to move the PC away from the A/C when it is not switched on.

Condensation is caused by warm humid air coming in to contact with a cold surface or cold air.

alexkerhead 2nd October, 2004 05:43 PM

I would love to have a floor a/c vent, but ours are central ceiling units...cries

Razorfish 2nd October, 2004 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexkerhead
I would love to have a floor a/c vent, but ours are central ceiling units...cries

That would be cool (no pun intended) you could cut a hole in the bottom of the case and mount the radiator in the floor of your case had have the AC vent blowing directly into the bottom for your case, cool water and cool case!