AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Cooling & Temperature Monitoring (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/34-cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/)
-   -   Blue Orb! (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/2747-blue-orb.html)

realManiac 2nd February, 2002 07:29 PM

Blue Orb!

my tt blue orb cannot fit into my GF2 Ti 64MB! so i follow the instruction and usesthe tape, but the tape cannot stick it firmly.. after a few try the tape got torn and not sticlk anymore.. what to do?!

Random Nonsense 2nd February, 2002 08:00 PM

if you want the Blue orb to be permanent, use some AS epoxy, or you could apply AS2 and leave 2 corners clean, then use two dots of superglue, this way it is removeable if u ever need to remove the orb

Phil 2nd February, 2002 10:26 PM

Yeah you are much better off using AS epoxy as the frag tape doesn't work very well at transfering heat.

Also as a new member you may not know but you are not supposed to have images in your sig, only oes's can have an image link to their site and the folding team can have the folding logo.

Dave 4th February, 2002 09:46 PM

The stock heatsink is probably just as good if not better than the orb... I don't rate em much. The fins and base are separate pieces, and not joined well,, and thyre kinda noisy for what they do...
An old smallish socket 7 heatsink usually works better, takes about 5 minutes to fit one (sit the heatsink on the GPU, poke a pen throught the holes on card and mark their position on the heatsinks base, drill these holes to about 4mm, and then poke a ziptie through each hole and then throught the card, zip another one up tight on the remaning end, and jobs a good un)

..... but if you've already bought the orb, well if it fits on your chipset, put it there and replace whatever is on already, I'd look into something a bit more substantial if your after good cooling for the GPU.

ged 7th February, 2002 01:46 PM

The base on my blue orb was completely warped (which becomes apparent after 2 minites of lapping.

it took about an hour to lap it flat, only to find that it wouldn't fit on my GF2MX.....:mad:

serves me right for getting sucked into the mad/sad world of lapping

Pinky 7th February, 2002 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ged
serves me right for getting sucked into the mad/sad world of lapping
Lapping is a good thing, but you still need to make sure the heatsink will fit, but that's not the shiny base or sandpaper's fault :p

ged 8th February, 2002 11:55 PM

> but that's not the shiny base or sandpaper's fault ..

look, if I line up the heatsink and it kind of looks ok (i.e. bolt holes are in the right place), then i lap the little s*d and it doesn't fit cos there is a silly capacitor in the way.... this isn't my fault surely!!!

I would have thought that I should be able to ask my suppliers for my money back as the orb didn't do what I wanted it tooo

lol

ttfn

T-Shirt 13th February, 2002 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave
The stock heatsink is probably just as good if not better than the orb...
But do take the stock sink off, clean, and apply the correct amount of a good compound under it.
Many (maybe most) MB's come with a dab (small, not well spread, cheap "stuff") of worthless "stuff" under them, if not well connected to the sink, it actually becomes an insulator .:mad: