AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Cooling & Temperature Monitoring (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/34-cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/)
-   -   Northbridge waterblock (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/3266-northbridge-waterblock.html)

Random Nonsense 22nd February, 2002 08:43 PM

Northbridge waterblock

hi guys im making a northbridge waterblock, but taking a break, im using a pair of biros in the design, but i had to melt them a bit the fumes made my head go funny so ill tyry to exlpan it all later.

Random Nonsense 22nd February, 2002 11:46 PM

ok what it is:

an old 486 heatsink. basically a lump of aluminium that has fins machined in, i have melted slots along the edge of a pair of ball point pens, these slots allow water to flow through the channels, a sheet of plastic goes over the top, and silicon sealant stops the ball point pen tubes leaking everywhere, ill post a pic once its done!

surlyjoe 23rd February, 2002 07:03 AM

:eek: dood! , be careful, that burnin plastic aint good for ya!!

Random Nonsense 23rd February, 2002 05:00 PM

i kinda noticed its bad for me! :)

i need a flatter bit of plastic for the top of the block now, since the square i cut from a coke bottle just wouldnt stick down

kplonk 23rd February, 2002 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Random Nonsense
i kinda noticed its bad for me! :)

i need a flatter bit of plastic for the top of the block now, since the square i cut from a coke bottle just wouldnt stick down

what are you sticking with

dimmreaper 24th February, 2002 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Random Nonsense
Don't you have access to some type of machine shop at the university??? I would think you, or one of your "mates", could machine an aluminum "clam shell" to recieve the 486 heatsink(which could be welded to the shell) and some hose barbs. I'd do it for you, but the shipping charges and shipping time would make that an impractical option.

BTW, I find that excesive northbridge cooling does not seem to help with FSB overclocking on the 8KHA+. I've tried a 72W peltier, with no gains what so ever over my modified TennMax cooler. My guess is that the memory currently available is simply not up to snuff. I've been meaning to throw my whole machine in the freezer to see what effect that has on FSB overclocking, but havn't been able to find the time.

Random Nonsense 24th February, 2002 02:20 PM

Jeff, my college is pretty limited in machinetools, on one side, it teaches ppl to be car mechanics/panelbeaters etc, no machining, and on our side, well its aero-engineering, you CANT fabricate parts, so they dont teach us it.

i was using epoxy to stick it, but it just wouldnt hold! ill cut a square of plexi when i get time