AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Cooling & Temperature Monitoring (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/34-cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/)
-   -   How much water? (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/36798-how-much-water.html)

Samuknow 8th June, 2006 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QSDT
15lt I'm guessing it's not a Lan're, but your temps wouldn't move much hey. Does a better pump help with lower temps? Haven't yet got mine on yet to check still leak testing.

Better pump....it depends alot on your loop. Some blocks don't mind a smaller (lower output) pump and actually do better with one. On the other hand, blocks like the WW and similar need a more powerful pump the perform at all.

keithwalton 9th June, 2006 12:10 AM

a higher flow rate pump will increase the avaliabilty of cold coolent on the heat exchanger (water block) however it'll begin to saturate the harder you push it as other effects such as flow choking will begin to set in.
Flow rate also isnt everything, it is inversly proportional to head pressure in a typical pump (you either get lots of flow rate or lots of head pressure or somthing in between you never get both).
cpu blocks will create quite a pressure loss in the system which will be proportional to flow rate.

In an ideal world you'll use an infinite resevoir in which case you wont need a radiator! but this isnt really practical now is it.

Just as a random aside, do any of you water cooling bunch use a swirl pot ?

Samuknow 9th June, 2006 02:14 AM

So let's hook it up to the cold water at the faucet and let the rest go down the drain...

QSDT 9th June, 2006 05:31 AM

Here in Aust, the driest continent we just can't do that or even think of doing that. One town Toowoomba is going recycle sewage water for drinking!

Aedan 9th June, 2006 09:49 AM

I considered using a toilet cistern as a reservoir of cold water. The only problem is that the cistern doesn't carry that much water at the moment, due to the drought order in place...

MONKEYMAN 9th June, 2006 10:05 AM

yeah I heard about the hosepipe bans in other counties, that sucks....I'm just gonna fill up the fill up the kids pool, flush my toilet and water the garden all at once:thumbsup:

keithwalton 9th June, 2006 03:29 PM

there is a hosepipe ban in the south and south east! of the uk

Samuknow 9th June, 2006 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
yeah I heard about the hosepipe bans in other counties, that sucks....I'm just gonna fill up the fill up the kids pool, flush my toilet and water the garden all at once:thumbsup:

I hear ya...just leave the hose on and let run all night....lol

QSDT 12th June, 2006 08:06 AM

So the new Swiftech MCP350 pump and my res dropped my temps by 2c not that much but the plus is that I don't have 240 volts inside my case anymore, it did get me once on the finger but the saftey switch did work.

Samuknow 12th June, 2006 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QSDT
So the new Swiftech MCP350 pump and my res dropped my temps by 2c not that much but the plus is that I don't have 240 volts inside my case anymore, it did get me once on the finger but the saftey switch did work.

OUCH...

dsio 12th June, 2006 06:15 PM

Talk of pools is interesting. Running a pipe from the filtered side of the pool filter pump, through a high flow block, and back into the pool could be interesting.

If you have a Smithfield / Prescott, you could probably keep an average inground pool above room temperature during the colder months.

Samuknow 12th June, 2006 08:04 PM

That is stinking briliant...

Pools are cool even in the warmer months...

Aedan 13th June, 2006 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsio
Running a pipe from the filtered side of the pool filter pump, through a high flow block, and back into the pool could be interesting.

That could be very interesting. I'm just wondering what would happen if the system sprung a leak? ;) Dead computer is one thing, but flooded house is another thing entirely!

Samuknow 13th June, 2006 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Áedán
That could be very interesting. I'm just wondering what would happen if the system sprung a leak? ;) Dead computer is one thing, but flooded house is another thing entirely!

Well I guess it's not like springing a leak it a 2 L system. More like a 50000 Gal System...lol

dsio 13th June, 2006 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Áedán

A kill switch wouldn't be too hard. Base it on block pressure, or on waste flow rate. Trick is to make sure its solid before hand, and have a pressure release system in effect. This isn't a plug and play thing, its a think it out thing.

And further, you would divert a portion of the pool water, not all of it, just in case. Where's Kaitain when you need him?

Samuknow 13th June, 2006 02:08 PM

My question is, who here has a pool and is willing to test this?

What will chlorine do to your block(s)?

Is this too insane for reality?

Daniel ~ 13th June, 2006 06:54 PM

My observations would seem to indicate that NOTHING is to insane for us to bring into existence...why sanity is barely even a qualifier! Than said, I think we NEED to do this! ... I just don't know why...spooky isn't it. If we get desperate we can say we were planing to cool not one computer but hundreds, even thousands! All off a single swimming pool and pump!

Samuknow 13th June, 2006 07:04 PM

Not only cool computers but heat a pool....lol

A multi purpose endevor...

Daniel ~ 13th June, 2006 07:12 PM

Make a water fall of the return flow all soft wet and warm against our manly skins!! ":O}

cadaveca 13th June, 2006 07:15 PM

Tell that to Apple:

Quote:

I decided to do some more research and found a guy that had a unit 14 months old that leaked. He did not have AppleCare, but Apple agreed to fix it because it was less than 90-days out of warranty. A few months later, he had another unit leak. This time, the globs of glowing green goo got into his power supply and shorted it out. One of his co-workers described a bright flash and a loud buzzing crackle. Light-colored smoke poured out of the machine, and sizzling coolant dripped onto the aluminum handle. The “cheese grater” back grill had scorch marks. With both incidents, he said Apple was extremely cooperative and provided swift resolution by paying for the parts and labor required to restore the G5s back to working condition. He also noted that he did not lose any data on either machine.
http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.ph...c_g5s_leaking/