AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Cooling & Temperature Monitoring (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/34-cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/)
-   -   How much water? (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/36798-how-much-water.html)

QSDT 7th June, 2006 05:33 AM

How much water?

As the title asks how much water does your water cooling system hold? I'll be wet testing my new res & pump tonight and I'll get a measurement of what it holds. But I've being thinking how much does everybody else have.

Gizmo 7th June, 2006 06:26 AM

Ideally, your water cooling system should only need enough water to fill the hoses and the radiator (and a small reservoir). Mine holds (I think) about 3/4 of a liter, but I've got a rather large radiator.

I've heard tell of people who have massive reservoirs that hold gallons of water. IMHO, if you need a large reservoir to maintain reasonable temps, you haven't got a large enough radiator for the heat load you are pushing at full tilt.

cadaveca 7th June, 2006 06:35 AM

2.25 litres.

Aedan 7th June, 2006 11:33 AM

Mine has a capacity of a bit under half a litre (around the 350mL mark). No reservoir, but there is an expansion vessel.

gedon 7th June, 2006 12:56 PM

~1L + 0.3L reservoir

Samuknow 7th June, 2006 01:07 PM

Prob ~1.5L. I have a res that my pump fits in + my rad...

QSDT 7th June, 2006 01:40 PM

Well I got it going holds 730ml the whole system just purging out the air right now and leak testing aswell. How long do you guys leak test for?

Rondog 7th June, 2006 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QSDT
Well I got it going holds 730ml the whole system just purging out the air right now and leak testing aswell. How long do you guys leak test for?

24 hours is the general rule of thumb.

QSDT 7th June, 2006 02:04 PM

The anti corrosion stuff I'm using tastes like maple syrup got a mouth full of it about an hour ago can still taste it now. Hope it wont kill me, if I don't post tomorrow be worried. Oh yes the swiftech MCP350 pump is very quite have to touch it to tell if it's going. But it has a slight delay before powering up maybe 1 sec.

QSDT 7th June, 2006 10:56 PM

So I live. My wife played a mean trick on me this morning she told me that I had a small puddle under my new res without smiling. This was done while I was on the toilet so that I couldn't check and had to suffer for a few Min's thinking what did I do wrong! Talk about sleeping with the enemy.;)

Daniel ~ 8th June, 2006 01:51 AM

Quote:

The anti corrosion stuff I'm using tastes like maple syrup got a mouth full of it about an hour ago can still taste it now. Hope it wont kill me, if I don't post tomorrow be worried. Oh yes the swiftech MCP350 pump is very quite have to touch it to tell if it's going. But it has a slight delay before powering up maybe 1 sec.

DUDE! If your using automotive anti-freeze or it's kin...THAT'S A DEADLY POISON! READ the label carefully and follow the appropriate measures. I do know ingesting small amounts, a half cup or less can KILL YOU. I have no idea about casual exposure.

Daniel ~ 8th June, 2006 01:54 AM

Quote:

So I live. My wife played a mean trick on me this morning she told me that I had a small puddle under my new res without smiling. This was done while I was on the toilet so that I couldn't check and had to suffer for a few Min's thinking what did I do wrong! Talk about sleeping with the enemy.;)

Sorry, panicked at the preceding post. As to your wife,..... thank her for me.":O}

robbie 8th June, 2006 02:16 AM

Quote:

yeah.... that will get things MOVING!!! :)

QSDT 8th June, 2006 02:27 AM

Thanks Daniel just read the bottle, yes it is poisonous if swallowed. Luck I guess.

Daniel ~ 8th June, 2006 02:32 AM

I've had trace amounts on my lips on occasion, but the inside of the mouth absorbs like a diaper!! You gave me a bit of a start! Glad this passed you by!! Small kids, dogs and cats are always getting killed because the idiots make it sweet tasting. Must be something unavoidable or someone would have stopped it long ago.

Aedan 8th June, 2006 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel ~
Must be something unavoidable or someone would have stopped it long ago.

I suspect the only way to stop that is to change the way the molecule is put together. Mind you, that'd also have the side effect of stopping it being effective as antifreeze...

MrSeanKon 8th June, 2006 11:03 AM

QSDT LOL my custom watercooled system has a 15lt LOL tanker! (not tank)....:ying:
Connection is Pump --> Radiator --> Waterblock --> Tanker! --> Pump again.
The most important thing for this connection is tank's temperature which is some degrees higher than CPU's.
I have some stuff for this in Guidemania and I will update the section in the future.

keithwalton 8th June, 2006 09:37 PM

most modern anti freeze's are made up from ethlene glycol, which is a form of hydrocarbon.

Quote:

In its pure form, it is an odorless, colorless, syrupy liquid with a sweet taste. Ethylene glycol is toxic, and its accidental ingestion should be considered a medical emergency
It has in the past been used to make wine taste better (east german wine jokes, when in fact it was Austrian) its also in 'moonshine'
in low quantities its not all that toxic as people make out however due to its sweet taste as said people dont just drink a little bit they drink alot. Effects are similar to that of alcohol poisoning (funny that it being an alcohol en all that). Oh its also quite flamable to boot.
30ml of the stuff neat (anti freeze is by no means neat) is enough to take out an adult human. Funny bit is the cure is ethanol which when neat is poisonous itself! The two fight each other out with ethanol being the lesser of the two evils. Usually a strong whisky, vodka or gin does the trick.

The higher the amount of water in your system the larger its thermal capacity (water = 4.2 kJ/kgK, ~ 1kg = 1l). The more water you have the slower its temperature will rise -> its less responsive to heat input change. Resevoirs act as an additional radiator as well, however they are only cooled by natural convection and have a much lower surface area / volume ratio.

Lazgoat 8th June, 2006 10:07 PM

...but once it all gets up to temperature its alot harder to cool it all down again!

I have about 500ml in my system. Simple CPU loop with Swiftech 6002 WB, Eheim 1048 pump, Danger den Res and Thermochill 92.2 rad, all plumbed with 7/16 tubing so its nice and slimline! :)

QSDT 8th June, 2006 10:58 PM

15lt I'm guessing it's not a Lan're, but your temps wouldn't move much hey. Does a better pump help with lower temps? Haven't yet got mine on yet to check still leak testing.