AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Cooling & Temperature Monitoring (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/34-cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/)
-   -   50:50 coolant/water mix in rig. (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/37268-50-50-coolant-water-mix-rig.html)

MONKEYMAN 18th July, 2006 07:51 AM

50:50 coolant/water mix in rig.

Just syringed half the water out of my watercooling system and replaced it with antifreeze/coolant, cpu now runs 2c cooler but the flow rate is slightly decreased due to the viscosity of the coolant.

The coolant I used has anti-corrosive additives so shouldn't melt anything too much.

The added bonus is it's a cool blue colour and the pump now makes less noise.

Good idea or bad?

Aedan 18th July, 2006 09:26 AM

I'm not sure that a 50/50 mix is necessary unless you intend to run it below zero. Generally too much antifreeze will reduce the effectiveness of the coolant. You can always experiment by starting with plain water and slowly adding antifreeze/anticorrosive...

That's a fair bit of work, and if you're happy with what you have I'd recommend against it.

MONKEYMAN 18th July, 2006 09:41 AM

To be honest the plan was to have a ratio of 20:80 coolant/water, however the more blue it got the better it looked and I just carried on, I am considering adding a peltier into the equation now that I have sufficient cooling to remove heat from such a system, it is however a lot of work and I am unsure as to which wattage of TEC to go with and what to power it with for instance a TEC rated at 12v/360w is going to need about 30amps of power which most sub 500w PSUs will have trouble providing and I dont want the significant cost of a dedicated 12v PSU as it would be more efficient MHz wise to buy a better CPU.

Aedan 18th July, 2006 12:09 PM

Generally TECs are not worth the trouble now. They add a huge amount of heat to an already substantial heat load. I would generally reckon to expect to see an increase in heat output of at least 3-4 times when you move to a TEC based system. Can your system handle four times as much heat?

Samuknow 18th July, 2006 12:12 PM

As Áedán said, if it works fine. Usually you lose a little performance when going to 50/50. Water still has better thermal properties than Ethyl/ Gly or any other coolant/anti-freeze. The beneifit is, ant-corrosion, will help with air removal, the added viscosity will quiet your system.
Drawback can be, make pump work harder, lower thermal capacity of water, can dye your lines. Right now if it works great....

MONKEYMAN 18th July, 2006 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Áedán
Can your system handle four times as much heat?

I reckon the watercooling as it is could probably cope with two times the current heat output, four times......no, not without adding another radiator in to the loop.

Daniel ~ 18th July, 2006 09:24 PM

Still ya got that 2C ! ":O}

Personally I think with your water setup, your maxed as far as cost effective hassle free cooling. About all that's left is Vopochill and the like, but when you enter the conversation, just say "condensation" and everybody still gets quite...

noob 19th July, 2006 05:35 AM

I have to agree with all of the above.

Water is about the best bang for the buck if you want more than air.
A decent TEC setup will cost about the same as an entry level chiller.

Having done a TEC setup to the old k6 350MHz I used to have, I wouldn't bother with it ever again. Far to much hassle, and if it doesn't work the TEC is a very good insulator. The only advantages over a chiller is its quieter and uses slightly less power. But it won't get as cold.

Aedan 19th July, 2006 10:14 AM

TECs use far more power than compressor based systems do. Their COP (Coefficient of Performance) is abysmal compared to compressor systems. The COP is very basically a measure of how much heat is moved for a watt of supplied electricity. The COP of a TEC based system is around 0.4 to 0.9. That means that 1W of electrical power moves between 0.4W and 0.9W of heat.

Compressor based systems usually have a COP in excess of 1, meaning that putting 1W of electrical power in moves more than 1W of heat. Well designed systems can reach a COP of 9, meaning that 1W of electrical power moves 9W of heat.

So, a well designed TEC system needs ten times as much power to acheive the same results as a well designed compressor based system!

noob 20th July, 2006 01:55 AM

Sorry - meant to say

only advantage is its quieter but wont get as cold and uses more power
was a bit tired and putting chiller in there confused myself.

Also that COP of 0.9 where can I get TEC's that efficient. I can only find a max of 0.6 here, I only want about 5-15W TEC's though.