AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Cooling & Temperature Monitoring (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/34-cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/)
-   -   Mum Says Cleaning Is Good (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/46999-mum-says-cleaning-is-good.html)

dsio 2nd April, 2009 02:26 PM

Mum Says Cleaning Is Good

7 Attachment(s)
Many, many dust-bunnies.

My little quad-core was running at 65C which is a tad high given its watercooled. Took the front panel off and found out why:

Now its sitting a reasonable 38C full load again ;)

Dyson vacuum with a step down to 10mm aperature bit eats through the half inch thick crust rather rapidly, even looks as good as new now. For ages have been putting my hand in front of it wonder why I couldn't feel the fans moving any air, now its a huge amount of flow and a nice low wooshing noise again.

MightyMar22 2nd April, 2009 03:15 PM

yikes!!

I'll have to watch out for that one, i think i got the same case. i see that dust is building up already between the fans and the front door mesh, i'll have to check what it looks like between the fans and the radiator.

dsio 2nd April, 2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyMar22 (Post 491703)
I'll have to watch out for that one, i think i got the same case. i see that dust is building up already between the fans and the front door mesh, i'll have to check what it looks like between the fans and the radiator.

8800GT
Q9450
ThermalTake Kandalf LCS (black)
Corsair HX-620

yea, your computer is almost identical to mine by the looks.

And yea, its about 1.5 years old and absolutely filthy. Made a big difference man. That dust was so thickly caked that it was letting about 5% of airflow through. Its deceptive because the sheer size of the Kandalf LCS radiator means that it can actually passive cool about any CPU on the market but with a quad core overclocked running high load apps it struggles to keep it under 65.

dsio 2nd April, 2009 03:53 PM

As a side note, its a freaking good case. Hardly any computers have 360x120mm radiators and even fewer have built in rads that actually look good, and it is seriously effective. The fact that it can passive cool a 95W TDP chip running at an extra 20% voltage and an extra 1Ghz under full load on all four cores is a testament to how overengineered the thing was in the first place.

Internal temps for components are great too thanks to those big low rpm monster fans and plenty of room.

Daniel ~ 2nd April, 2009 05:33 PM

A reminder indeed! ":O}

MUff1N 2nd April, 2009 06:01 PM

Yea, I'm do too, to dust out the inside of my case & the Zalman CNPS9700!
I do this no less than once a month because I live in AZ which is notorious for dust, although I live in the high country so it's not near as bad is down in the Valley. (Phoenix Metro area)

I always use the Weedeater Leaf blower for that!!! LOL
It has a 100mph air stream at full, but I always use it at half speed so its around 50mph. Still very strong air & blows it totally out! (Yea I come up with crazy ideas! LOL)
Then I have to dust my room & vacuum it or the dust builds back up pretty fast.

Last note: I took out ALL of the filters in my case to allow for the most airflow which it a TON.
Nothing ever gets even remotely warm in there for air cooled system. ;)

MightyMar22 2nd April, 2009 11:30 PM

yep, the kandalf LCS case is great. I love it. i wish i could have afford the all Aluminum one as this is is realy, realy heavy.

but a great case none the less.

dsio 3rd April, 2009 01:38 AM

Yea I know what you mean regarding the heavy thing. That radiator in the front I had resting on 3 DVD cases so that it wouldn't pull on its hoses and it cracked the cover of braveheart =( Must be about 40-50lbs all up with lots of steel.

My old case was a Xaser II aluminium and it could be lifted with one finger, just had nothing to it.

robbie 3rd April, 2009 10:51 PM

Thanks for the reminder. I was going to replace the 2 fans I have upfront anyways as well. They are a tad noisey after 5 years! :)

dabaerman 21st April, 2009 04:53 AM

I'm thinking of upgrading my Koolance 602's. they came with 3x80mm fans and single pass aluminum rad. the replacement has 3x120mm fans and a dual pass aluminum rad. new water blocks are in the plans as well. the cases are heavy and quite roomy (Chieftech, Antech) full towers.
I use a 6hp shop-vac to 'remove' the dusty bits and I keep my towers on top of a desk, about 32" above the floor. the dust still finds them.

Ron

Daniel ~ 21st April, 2009 06:28 PM

Dust balls are always with us! ":O}

cloasters 9th November, 2009 09:48 PM

I finally un-lazed myself enough to take the olde Enlight 7237(?) outside for an un-dusting. Ugh, it was ugly, but at most of the gunk is gone. Once upon a time there were only two brands of PC cases. This one is a study in pos-ness. I'll kick this booger down some stairs someday. But when? Duh, duh, duhn!

cloasters 14th August, 2010 06:12 PM

Gott sei danke, the Enlight excuse for a case has been gone for months. Somebody messed up on engineering that wretched case, the brass standoffs were a custom length. Think I held on to the thing for way too long!

booman 15th August, 2010 03:28 PM

Holy Moses! That is a lot of Dust, even with filters.
I don't have filters so usually I will have to open the case and blow it out.
One thing I do to reduce dust, is turn my computer off at night. Helps a little bit.
Also, make sure to use compressed air. I have heard that any other type of air can encourage static electricity. I usually use an air pump for one of those exercise balls (saves money) but I am worried about the static charge.

dsio 15th August, 2010 04:02 PM

Think mine's probably filthy again =( Rads really attract dust a great deal. Someone mentioned that they build up a static charge which in turn attracts more dust, not sure if that's true or not, but given how much builds up, it might make sense.

robbie 15th August, 2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsio (Post 507513)
Think mine's probably filthy again =( Rads really attract dust a great deal. Someone mentioned that they build up a static charge which in turn attracts more dust, not sure if that's true or not, but given how much builds up, it might make sense.

I take it you have these rad's touching metal so that they are grounded no?

dsio 15th August, 2010 11:15 PM

It actually mounts to plastic brackets

cloasters 28th October, 2010 08:54 PM

Maybe a grounding strap would be worth the hassle?
Oops, earthing strap in Britspeak.

dsio 29th October, 2010 12:33 AM

Grounding straps are for sissys. :P

dsio 29th October, 2010 12:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Speaking of straps, thanks to a very helpful ebay seller, I'm now spoiled for choice for only $30 shipped :thumbsup:

Your green bezel would look decent against an orange NATO strap George =)