AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Cooling & Temperature Monitoring (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/34-cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/)
-   -   Fan Noise (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/5597-fan-noise.html)

bigjohnson 23rd May, 2002 12:41 PM

Fan Noise

I have an Thermalright AX7 with the Delta 88 fan. I like the fan but the noise is getting to me.
I don't want to replace the fan. Can anyone advise on a fan control? Maybe I could turn it down while not under load.

chazz469 23rd May, 2002 05:56 PM

There is a utility called SpeedFan that reports that it can control fan speed. You can check it out here. I haven't tried it, but that's one option. Another way is to water cool...:evil:

SiGmA_X 23rd May, 2002 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by chazz469
There is a utility called SpeedFan that reports that it can control fan speed. You can check it out here. I haven't tried it, but that's one option. Another way is to water cool...:evil:
Yes... Watercooling :) Like most of the other computer-related projects, this one too will be waiting until summer, but I am going to watercool to emilemate sound, and temp.

bigjohnson 24th May, 2002 12:00 AM

I'll give it a try. Thank you.

bigjohnson 24th May, 2002 12:09 AM

Well that may not work. That program caused a Blue Screen. Still though that is a very interesting site.

SiGmA_X 24th May, 2002 12:18 AM

Make a BayBus. Make it Full/Off/7V

The Spyder 24th May, 2002 12:44 AM

Rehostat- 7/12 wont work with the larger deltas- it wont start at 7v-
Spyder

dimmreaper 24th May, 2002 06:04 AM

A 9 or 10V linear voltage regulator may slow the fan down enough for your taste without seriously impacting performance . . .

chazz469 24th May, 2002 09:12 AM

Sorry about the BSOD. There is another site where you can get that utility.... I'll see if I can get the address and post it here. (Unless it was the utility itself that caused the BSOD.) :(

I look around to see what I can find and let you know.

bigjohnson 24th May, 2002 11:43 AM

Yes, the utility caused the blue screen. I wished it worked.
Now I need to locate a kit to reduce fan sound volume.

BongWater 27th May, 2002 07:24 AM

A simple rheostat will quiet it down...by slowing your fan speed (and thus lessening the cooling) But if quiter is the request, a rheostat will work just fine for under $10.

BongWater

chazz469 27th May, 2002 10:30 AM

bigjohnson....I was wondering....do you not want to watercool for some reason? I can't tell you how much quieter it is, you have to hear it......

I mean there are still fans involved, but really, there doesn't have to be. It all depends on how you set it up.

I know that you just asked for a fan control. But it was just a thought. Maybe you could get an adapter or something for your fan....I know Enermax, and maybe Panaflo, both sell fans that have adjusters with them....

bigjohnson 27th May, 2002 07:44 PM

I may be interested in watercooling in the future. My current box is not tech enough to warrant the cost. Besides the idea of water in my electronics worries me a lot. I don't know enough about it yet.
A rheostat sounds like a good idea and so does a baybus. The rheostat sounds like an easier solution. If I can I want to keep the fan.