AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Cooling & Temperature Monitoring (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/34-cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/)
-   -   Makin' my own waterblock. (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/cooling-and-temperature-monitoring/63-makin-my-own-waterblock.html)

dimmreaper 23rd September, 2001 09:17 AM

Makin' my own waterblock.
 
OK guys, I decided to get off my lazy duff and make my own waterblock at work. I need design Idea's! So let me here 'em. No matter how crazy, no matter how farfetched, no matter how elaborate, I want to hear 'em. We have to the machines to do just about anything, so nothing is out of reach . . . .

Phiber 23rd September, 2001 02:09 PM

Re: Makin' my own waterblock.
 
Quote:

Originally posted by dimmreaper
OK guys, I decided to get off my lazy duff and make my own waterblock at work. I need design Idea's! So let me here 'em. No matter how crazy, no matter how farfetched, no matter how elaborate, I want to hear 'em. We have to the machines to do just about anything, so nothing is out of reach . . . .
a clone of the Maze 2??
let me know how much it costs i might get one

dimmreaper 23rd September, 2001 02:24 PM

Re: Re: Makin' my own waterblock.
 
Quote:

Originally posted by phiber

a clone of the Maze 2??
let me know how much it costs i might get one

Why would I want to clone that when I can easily make something better?!? I already am in the process of making a top secret waterblock with over 30 square inches of effective surface area(I've said too much already) . . . . I just want some other Idea's for the declassified waterblock I want to make for an article. . . .

Phiber 23rd September, 2001 02:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Makin' my own waterblock.
 
Quote:

Originally posted by dimmreaper
Why would I want to clone that when I can easily make something better?!? I already am in the process of making a top secret waterblock with over 30 square inches of effective surface area(I've said too much already) . . . . I just want some other Idea's for the declassified waterblock I want to make for an article. . . .
hmmm... can i have one??
lol i rally would like a waterblock so i can watercool

dimmreaper 23rd September, 2001 02:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Makin' my own waterblock.
 
Quote:

Originally posted by phiber

hmmm... can i have one??
lol i rally would like a waterblock so i can watercool

Well when I get my top secret block done, i'll let you know how good it is, and what the price tag will be. So far I'm looking at ~$25 in materials alone, so you might be better off with a DangerDen Maze2, or even a Maze1 or BeCooling Jagged Waterjacket.

Phiber 23rd September, 2001 02:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Makin' my own waterblock.
 
Quote:

Originally posted by dimmreaper
Well when I get my top secret block done, i'll let you know how good it is, and what the price tag will be. So far I'm looking at ~$25 in materials alone, so you might be better off with a DangerDen Maze2, or even a Maze1 or BeCooling Jagged Waterjacket.
but what would it cost you labor??
i dont care if it cost more as long as it is better :)

dimmreaper 23rd September, 2001 03:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Makin' my own waterblock.
 
Quote:

Originally posted by phiber

but what would it cost you labor??
i dont care if it cost more as long as it is better :)

Not sure what Labor, and Electricity, and Machine wear and tear would come to yet. But to give you comparative figures, the DD Maze2 would cost about $10 in material. If I had the exact DD Maze2 dimensions I could sell 'em for $30 mass production and turn an acceptable profit.

Honestly I hadn't really planned on selling waterblocks, but if other people are as enthusiastic about it as you, I'd consider it.

Phiber 23rd September, 2001 03:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Makin' my own waterblock.
 
Quote:

Originally posted by dimmreaper
Not sure what Labor, and Electricity, and Machine wear and tear would come to yet. But to give you comparative figures, the DD Maze2 would cost about $10 in material. If I had the exact DD Maze2 dimensions I could sell 'em for $30 mass production and turn an acceptable profit.

Honestly I hadn't really planned on selling waterblocks, but if other people are as enthusiastic about it as you, I'd consider it.

well i want a waterblock but if u can get something that is better than the ones out there with a better price i will have it

wild_andy_c 23rd September, 2001 07:17 PM

The good thing about copper - so easy to machine.

dimmreaper 23rd September, 2001 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wild_andy_c
The good thing about copper - so easy to machine.
Actually it can be a biznitch, copper gets really hot when you machine it, and when the tooling get clogged up it snaps off and tooling ain't cheap . . . .

dimmreaper 23rd September, 2001 11:05 PM

I've got some drafts of a possible production block. It will have approximately 20% more effective internal surface area as other socket sized maze blocks(DD Maze1, BeCooling copper waterjacket). It will be of a "low preasure drop" design. Channels will be "jagged edged" via a roughing end mill, same technique BeCooling uses. It will have a nice beefy 0.200" inch thick base. It will be triple annodized on the outside, in either red or black not sure which yet, to protect from oxidization. The machining quality will be a bit better than Danger Den and close to that of Swiftech. Each block will come lapped, pressure tested to 100PSI, and under go submersion testing(pumping air in to it while submerging it in a tank of water to search for leaks). The block would come with 7/16" hose barbs(maybe 1/2" if I can find some barbs with smaller threaded ends), barbs would be pre-reamed to maximum tolerances. And if I go ahead with this I'll talk to the guys at ArcticSilver about those little packets of AS2 that come with the Millenium Glaciator.

What would you be willing to pay for a quality product like this Phiber? And Colin if you see this, what would you be willing to pay, assuming it performs better than any block currently on the market?

I'm looking at around $35 +S&H, maybe a little more as this block will require more machine work than any other block on the market. I plan to market the block competatively if I go ahead with this(realize that I am still in the developement stages, so I'm not sure if this will prove a viable solution yet). I already talked to my Dad(the shop owner) and he said if I think I can make money at this to go for it. He will let me use the machines for nothing, just have to pitch in on the power bill. And we might be getting a new CNC mill in DEC/JAN :) :)

Phiber 23rd September, 2001 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dimmreaper
I've got some drafts of a possible production block. It will have approximately 20% more effective internal surface area as other socket sized maze blocks(DD Maze1, BeCooling copper waterjacket). It will be of a "low preasure drop" design. Channels will be "jagged edged" via a roughing end mill, same technique BeCooling uses. It will have a nice beefy 0.200" inch thick base. It will be triple annodized on the outside, in either red or black not sure which yet, to protect from oxidization. That machining quality will be a bit better than Danger Den and close to that of Swiftech. Each block will come lapped, pressure tested to 100PSI, and under go submersion testing(pumping air in to it while submerging it in a tank of water to search for leaks). The block would come with 7/16" hose barbs(maybe 1/2" if I can find some barbs with smaller threaded ends), barbs would be pre-reamed to maximum tolerances. And if I go ahead with this I'll talk to the guys at ArcticSilver about those little packets of AS2 that come with the Millenium Glaciator.

What would you be willing to pay for a quality product like this Phiber? And Colin if you see this, what would you be willing to pay, assuming it performs better than any block currently on the market?

I'm looking at around $35 +S&H, maybe a little more as this block will require more machine work than any other block on the market. I plan to market the block competatively if I go ahead with this(realize that I am still in the developement stages, so I'm not sure if this will prove a viable solution yet). I already talked to my Dad(the shop owner) and he said if I think I can make money at this to go for it. He will let me use the machines for nothing, just have to pitch in on the power bill. And we might be getting a new CNC mill in DEC/JAN :) :)

hey i would surely pay about $35

-=HN=- Wild9 24th September, 2001 01:31 AM

hope you know a good machinist.

Phiber 24th September, 2001 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by -=HN=- Wild9
hope you know a good machinist.
he is a machinist man
thats why he is doing it

Colin 24th September, 2001 06:48 AM

What we need is a low pressure drop block like the revised Maze 2 or Fixitt's Spiral Block with a serious bolt on, dual 40 mm pelt coldplate. There is lots of room for improvement in the coldplate clamping mechanism, six countersunk bolts being the minimum. The hot Birds and Palominos in the now and near future require it.

dimmreaper 24th September, 2001 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Colin
What we need is a low pressure drop block like the revised Maze 2 or Fixitt's Spiral Block with a serious bolt on, dual 40 mm pelt coldplate. There is lots of room for improvement in the coldplate clamping mechanism, six countersunk bolts being the minimum. The hot Birds and Palominos in the now and near future require it.
Colin- If i do eventually get something to market, by the time I do Tbirds and Palominos will be a thing of the past, and .13m will be a month or so around the corner. Yeah sure, I'd consider making some schweet dual peltier blocks, but that is probably the smallest segmant of the market, I would need to apeal to the largest segamant of the market first to get "off the ground". IMO the largest watercooling market segment is the so called "entry level" kit seeker, who wants something easy to install, somthing moderately quiet, something considerably better than aircooling, and something that's not going to put more than a $120 dent in his wallet for the whole kit and kaboodal(<--SP?).

My "top secret" block mentioned in the posts above is very very "low preasure drop", could easily be adapted to accomodate twin pelts(could probably fit 10-12 coldplate screws), and as I said has 30 square inches of effective surface area. 30 square inches is probably about 3 times what a DD Maze2 has.

Colin 25th September, 2001 04:50 AM

Jeff - Looks like you understand the market well. I may need to have my neighbor make up a block/colplate assembly for me. Any hints on your "top secret" design? ;)

dimmreaper 25th September, 2001 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Colin
Jeff - Looks like you understand the market well. I may need to have my neighbor make up a block/colplate assembly for me. Any hints on your "top secret" design? ;)
It starts out with a 1" thick copper block . . . . that's why is will be soo expensive . . . . can't say any more . . .

Colin 25th September, 2001 05:12 AM

Thanks for the clue!

The Spyder 25th September, 2001 06:04 AM

Broke Down and bought a Maze 2 and ehime 1240 and low pressue drop rad.

Spyder


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:21 PM.


Copyright ©2001 - 2010, AOA Forums


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0