AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th October, 2002, 10:17 PM

XP won't recognise CD drives any more!

Hi folks

Problem with shiny things. I have a Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD113 and a Freecom CDR/RW 8X4X32 on my system (k7s5a mb, xp1700, 512MB DDR, Radeon 7500) and they've stopped working altogether. The Pioneer is internal and is reporting "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

The Freecom is external and is reporting the same thing - I hadn't used it for a while but plugged it back in (USB) to try to get access to my XP setup disk.

So...any suggestions more than welcome! Basic problem is that I can't get access to any CD to attempt to recover the situation.

Many many thanks in advance!

Cheers

Ally
Radeon 7500
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th October, 2002, 08:51 PM

oh, one more thing - I've tried doing a system restore back to various points before the thing stopped working and none of them do the trick - would buy a new drive but it seems odd that both should appear not to be working at the same time?
Radeon 7500
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th October, 2002, 01:40 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

we're not ignoring you. We just don't have any idea how to fix it. I would sugest trying to use another cd rom drive if you have one. Or try putting that one as the master on the secondary IDE channel. (make sure to put the jumper on the drive in the right spot.) Other than that I would sugest reinstalling windows over itself, kind of hard to do without a cd rom drive.

If it is already on the secondary IDE channle as the master try putting it on the primary channle as the slave.

Good luck.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 19th October, 2002, 01:51 AM
Member/Contributer

Are the drives active? Do they have lights?

If yes, go and re plug everything, If you've been in the box recently then maybe you loosened an IDE cable or something. Are both on the same IDE cable?

Run a KISS drill. KISS = Keep it simple stupid. Not a comment at you, just an acronym.

If nothing else, strip it of everything but 1 H/D and video card and see what happens from there adding one component at a time.

Just some ideas. Not sure if any of it will help. When I have problems it's usually something real simple that I did and forgot to undo.
----------------------------------------------

Old 19th October, 2002, 03:19 AM

I have experienced the very same problems in XP myself. I have used device manager to remove the drives, restarted the PC and let XP 'find' the drives again. It seems to work. I'll try to find the specific article I used when I solved this problem. Something got changed when I installed some software and for some reason System restore would not help me either. Also, try booting into safe mode and look to see if the drives are there in Explorer, or My Computer.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 19th October, 2002, 03:23 AM

OK, here is the MSFT article I used .

CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
SYMPTOMSAfter you install Microsoft Windows XP, the CD-ROM drive, the DVD-ROM drive, or CD-ROM R/W drive may not be visible in the My Computer window. Additionally, there may be question marks on the devices that are listed under CD-ROM drives in Device Manager.
CAUSEAn incorrect device driver was installed for the CD-ROM device.
RESOLUTIONTo resolve this behavior, use the following methods in the order in which they are presented.
Method 1: Remove Registry Entry
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/Curretcontrolset/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
On the File menu, click Export.
In the File name box, type savedkey, and then click Save.
Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes. NOTE: If this data type is missing, continue to the next method.
Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
Quit the Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
Method 2: Replace Existing Driver
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
If Control Panel is in Category view, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

-or-

If Control Panel is in Classic view, double-click System.
On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
Click the drive with the question mark next to it.
On the Action menu, click Uninstall. When you are prompted to confirm the removal, click OK.
Repeat steps 4 through 5 for any other drives with question marks.
On the Action menu, click Scan for hardware changes.

Hope this helps. I'd try the device mgr first unless you are real familiar with the registry!
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Old 24th October, 2002, 10:31 PM

Cheers Uncle Bob - the registry fix worked a treat!

Nice one.

Ally
Radeon 7500
Old 25th October, 2002, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by superally
Cheers Uncle Bob - the registry fix worked a treat!

Nice one.

Ally
Great, I'm always happy when something is resolved. I knew I remembered something like that, but I'm so old it takes me some time to conger it up.

Old 17th November, 2002, 05:19 PM

Cool the lost drives

although i have seen this with overclocking hiccups on a temporary basis (usually a restart will suffice), i have never experienced with normal operations.

i would be worried that some component is contributing to this problem, either a driver or base memory conflict and if it happens over and over again.....................

i am running XP Pro right now, and after months and months of experiments and tweaks from the time of beta testing the OS, i finally got everything the way i like it, it is amazing what LITTLE you really have to do to get this OS to work like it is supposed to.

it also could be your ide controller is a bit flaky and may be contributing to the problem. if that is the case, then a new motherboard should cure your ills.

baldy
Old 18th November, 2002, 12:27 AM

Re: the lost drives

Quote:
Originally posted by bldegle2
although i have seen this with overclocking hiccups on a temporary basis (usually a restart will suffice), i have never experienced with normal operations.

i would be worried that some component is contributing to this problem, either a driver or base memory conflict and if it happens over and over again.....................

i am running XP Pro right now, and after months and months of experiments and tweaks from the time of beta testing the OS, i finally got everything the way i like it, it is amazing what LITTLE you really have to do to get this OS to work like it is supposed to.

it also could be your ide controller is a bit flaky and may be contributing to the problem. if that is the case, then a new motherboard should cure your ills.

baldy

It was a Windows problem, and it was fixed before you posted.